BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
sevo
Rep
Drives:

IPOD fiddle

Something happened just prior to my delivery (detailer backed the bumper into something!) AAAaaaaaaargh!!!!

Anyway, while this is being fixed, I've been given a loaner and due to info picked up from this forum re ipod/music, I'd like to post some thoughts which may save you some time or lookups. Bear in mind I had no manual to refer to.

My Ipod (latest ?4th gen Nano) NEEDED the BMW cabling. I had brought mine specifically to test this - the car just doesn't recognise the ipod using its standard cable.

Same applied to my iphone. Both worked with the BMW product.

I even tried my old 2nd gen Ipod ?classic (no click wheel - just 4 round buttons - yes I am THAT old) - no can do. Wouldn't have been that useful anyway, because it ran on USB 1 which won't charge your device.

Also tried my 3rd gen Nano - still need that cable.

I also have something called Griffin AutoPilot. It's basically got the same connection but also with audio line feed. (It's a big plus if your car has no USB port but just an AUX line in - it'll keep your ipod charged AND controls are on the big knob of the charger and indented so you can just feel for the stop/start or forward buttons without taking your eye off the road). No go.

Sales agent couldn't fathom it as he had assured me over the phone before that a standard Ipod cable would be fine. Another agent who was called in noted that some had worked ?maybe the model involved. Have yet to try standard cables with the classic models.

All this hooha is due to the fact that the BMW cable costs ?$140+ I think (of course thrown in because they damaged my car). So my advice is if you are using any ipod, get the stealership to throw in the cables. This is not just the simple extension cable which DOES come standard - mainly used for memory sticks.

Other things I found - I'm a fan of random/shuffle play. Even with particular playlists. You never want to keep hearing the first 15 songs over and over again in order and miss out on song number 123,043 (an oldie but a goodie).

Here's a tip. When the song is playing viewed on your screen, press the idrive knob down. This pulls up a menu including a random option - click that and it's set (you would think).

BUT NO!! Before plugging in your ipod, you need to go to the settings menu and change that setting for shuffle play as well.

Also, when you convert your choice of songs (on your idrive menu) from say genre to playlists or artists etc, you need to re-activate the random play by pressing the idrive knob again once the song from your new list is playing. Random choice from that particular list stays on until you change lists.

Hope this helps payback some of the thousands of useful tips i've picked up from this forum in the last 6 months. Will post more as I become wiser. All tips and feedback welcomed.

PPS If your navigation system is too soft or loud, you have to adjust the volume level WHILE the nav is giving instructions.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Interesting findings Sevo. I'm non-iDrive equipped and have a 4th gen ipod nano and connect it via its standard USB cable just fine. Everything works except playlists. Random i just click on artist --> all then click on random. Perfect. :smile:
      10-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

PC or Mac formatted ipods? Curious if it makes a diff...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
mine's PC formatted
      10-03-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Something happened just prior to my delivery (detailer backed the bumper into something!) AAAaaaaaaargh!!!!
I wonder if the thought the parking sensors were playing a special tune just for him?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

I've given up on the iPod and am now using a 4Gb stick.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

That's strange... the ipods generally work with the standard cable. They just work as a hard drive. Are you sure you had the hard drive mode on your ipod activated. If you don't then it wont work
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
2QIK4U
Mike
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
I've given up on the iPod and am now using a 4Gb stick.

Ditto.

Thanks Sevo for the hint on Nav volume. Standard she is way too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey View Post
PC or Mac formatted ipods? Curious if it makes a diff...
I've used a MAC iPod and PC memory stick in the USB and both work fine. I'm using the memory stick now as I can leave it in there permanently without the worry of leaving my iPod in the car. Also, I just copied the iTunes folder straight to the stick so I've not lost functionality.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
earlyMLC
Private
Rep
Drives:

My iphone does not work with the standard iphone/ipod cable - After abit of research I think this is because Apple does not allow the 'mass storage device' capability anymore (God bless them,..).

I was originally going to buy the friggin BMW Y-cable but after some though I'm not sure I really want it:

- I'm using a 16GB USB stick for music and works fine
- I don't want to cable connect my Iphone every time I get in the car as the phone functions via blue tooth so well
- Podcasts (downloaded daily to iphone) can be played by connecting a $10 aux cable to the aux input and using the menus directly on the ipod. The sound quality is lower but we are talking about a podcast here,..
- I will keep an ipod cable in the car in case I need to charge the phone.

My two depreciating cents.
Appreciate 0