BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Hologram Removal

I know I am pretty silly to let the dealer to wash up the car, but I found some scratches with a hologram around it.

It looks like to me that they saw the scratches there and try to puff it out.

What's the best way to remove the holograms?

Not much came up from the search.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Generally you will need to polish the surface. I typically use a light and medium polish and apply it with a buffer. A buffer is really critical because it helps provide the heat and pressure needed to break down the polish and really remove those imperfections permanently. We have some totally safe and easy to use buffers if you are interested. For newer detailers I recommend the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer and the Flex XC 3401 VRG. They are both super easy and highly effective tools.

There are tons of great combos but here is what I most commonly use. I really like using the orange pad with the Menzerna PO83 or Menzerna PO203S and follow it up with the Menzerna PO106FA and a white pad. If you would like help selecting some products that would best meet your needs please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I know I am pretty silly to let the dealer to wash up the car, but I found some scratches with a hologram around it.

It looks like to me that they saw the scratches there and try to puff it out.

What's the best way to remove the holograms?

Not much came up from the search.
Know what your going through, dealer washed my car by mistake and messed up my paintwork. Havent had the time to fix it yet but I would recommend:

1. Wash car with 2 bucket wash method to avoid further scratches
2. Dry thoroughly with waffle weave microfibre cloth - again this minimises scratches
3. Use a clay bar to remove any contaminants
4. Use a good polish with a random orbital machine as this is safest if you are a beginner. I would recommend the menzerna range of polishes. Always start with a test patch and use the least abrasive polish to begin with and move up if you find that it does not remove the hologram. Always match up the pad to the polish you are using. Aggressive polish with aggrsive pad etc.
5. Wash car again to remove polish dust and then apply your choice of last stage product.

You may find it useful to read up first if your not quite sure. Here are some useful links.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=17

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
btw if you need some quality products closer to home these guys will be able to sort you out:

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/
Appreciate 0