BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Bimmerle
just a little Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport coupe

Where was your car made?

Well, I guess it's a no-brainer for 1-series owners, they're made in Leipzig. But Private Fleet have had an interesting quiz running in their email newsletter. In the latest issue, they reveal how you can tell where your car is made from the VIN number. So where was your 3-series made, your X5 and X6, and your Z4?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The zeds and the Xs are all made in south Carolina no?

Just got a 90...the only one I got wrong was the Honda jazz, I don't even know what that is so no hard feelings!

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

Just got a 90...the only one I got wrong was the Honda jazz, I don't even know what that is so no hard feelings!
That'd be sold as the Honda Fit over there in the States

I failed that quiz hard, I do not have enough interest in Renaults and Citroens tohave any idea where they are built. Small Japanese cars are usually Thailand since Australia has a free trade agreement with them.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

Well done. I got 70%

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
My 09 125i was made in Regensburg. So not all the 1ers are made in Leipzig.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
My 09 125i was made in Regensburg. So not all the 1ers are made in Leipzig.
Time to take the BMW Werk test... :P

http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....ource=overview

Click on an image to see where that car is built!

It depends on the 1-er model where its made. I think Liepzig only produces the coupe and two door models and some 3er's. The four door hatches are built in Regensburg. Taymaish, you did not mention which body style your 125i is. ???

I am going to Liepzig in a few weeks to tour the factory. I will see for myself then! Its gonna be a 4km walking tour!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #7
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Time to take the BMW Werk test... :P

http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....ource=overview

Click on an image to see where that car is built!

It depends on the 1-er model where its made. I think Liepzig only produces the coupe and two door models and some 3er's. The four door hatches are built in Regensburg. Taymaish, you did not mention which body style your 125i is. ???

I am going to Liepzig in a few weeks to tour the factory. I will see for myself then! Its gonna be a 4km walking tour!!!
Hey Dackel, yes my 125i is a coupe (see sig ). The data plate search function shows it was made in Regensburg.

Also - from the Regensburg info:

Quote:
Some 8,800 employees (incl. Wackersdorf) manufacture circa 250,470 BMW automobiles per year: BMW 1 and 3 Series (Sedan, Coupé, Convertible), M3 models (Sedan, Coupé, Convertible), BMW Z4 Roadster and 4-Wheel-Drive and individual variants. BMW 3 Series Coupés and Convertibles as well as M3 variants and BMW Z4 are manufactured exclusively in Regensburg. Since production begin, over 4 million vehicles have been delivered to customers throughout the world.

The door and lid center in Regensburg also supplies chassis parts for BMW 1 and 3 Series production not only in the BMW plant Regensburg but also in the plants Leipzig, Munich and Rosslyn, South Africa.
From this I am assuming that Regensburg and Liepzig share the main production of 1ers. I had the privelege of seeing the big Leipzig plant in 2004 when sailing in Europe for 6 months, driving through Germany.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerle View Post
Well, I guess it's a no-brainer for 1-series owners, they're made in Leipzig. But Private Fleet have had an interesting quiz running in their email newsletter. In the latest issue, they reveal how you can tell where your car is made from the VIN number. So where was your 3-series made, your X5 and X6, and your Z4?
Got 80% on that one,

Question 4: FIAT 500, you chose Italy and the correct answer was: Poland
Question 9: SUBARU TRIBECA, you chose Japan and the correct answer was: USA

Got those two wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
That'd be sold as the Honda Fit over there in the States

I failed that quiz hard, I do not have enough interest in Renaults and Citroens tohave any idea where they are built. Small Japanese cars are usually Thailand since Australia has a free trade agreement with them.
yeah I only knew about half of them for sure, subie, 3er, Fiat 500, etc..., I guessed on the rest...but I'm a very good guesser

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

...from BMW's website...

Leipzig Plant...

With the construction of a new automobile plant in Leipzig, the BMW Group has recently created additional production capacity. Over 2,600 BMW empolyees already work in the new site which is one of the most modern automobile factories in existence.

Since 2005, the Leipzig plant has manufactured BMW automobiles for customers throughout the world. In addition to the BMW X1, its production program has included vehicles of the BMW 1 Series since 2007 (three-door, Coupé and Convertible).

The plant's highly flexible and sustainable structures set standards. Its basic elements have been built to last as long as possible, but also so that they can be modified and expanded for future tasks with low effort.

This flexibility can also be seen in the plant's flexible work structures. The basis of this is the "BMW Work Formula", which was one of the essential prerequisites for the Leipzig site. The use of many different labour scheduling models allows operating times of between 60 and 140 hours per week – corresponding to customer demand and the respective production volume at the plant.

A special feature of the plant is the prize-winning central building with its innovative form and open spatial structure. As the heart of the plant, this building establishes the connection between administration and production and enables rapid communication and unhindered exchange.

Regensburg plant...

After the success of the BMW 3 Series in the 1980's, BMW expanded its manufacturing capacity. In 1982, after an extensive selection procedure, the decision was made to open a plant in Regensburg.

The Regensburg plant began producing automobiles in 1986, first beginning with vehicle assembly. Its paintwork shop began operations in 1987; chassis construction followed in 1990. The plant was completed in 1997 with the press shop. Some 8,800 employees (incl. Wackersdorf) manufacture circa 250,470 BMW automobiles per year: BMW 1 and 3 Series (Sedan, Coupé, Convertible), M3 models (Sedan, Coupé, Convertible), BMW Z4 Roadster and 4-Wheel-Drive and individual variants. BMW 3 Series Coupés and Convertibles as well as M3 variants and BMW Z4 are manufactured exclusively in Regensburg. Since production begin, over 4 million vehicles have been delivered to customers throughout the world.

The door and lid center in Regensburg also supplies chassis parts for BMW 1 and 3 Series production not only in the BMW plant Regensburg but also in the plants Leipzig, Munich and Rosslyn, South Africa.

The above info was found here... http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....ource=overview
Appreciate 0