BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #23
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

p.s. even with nav, i would still recommend to anyone that they keep a road map somewhere in their car. Nav systems are only so acurate.

I did a road trip in the spring with 2 nav systems and they both failed me at a few points, and i had to pull out my road map.

reading maps is a good skill to have, don't forget how to do it!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
spotshooter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

I just ordered my 135i w/o nav. This will be my first car in 10 years w/o nav. Honestly I never used it that much and after a few years it looks and acts out-of-date. I agree the systems should be upgradeable, but in the end, car makers want you to buy a new car and part of their strategy is to make your current ride seem out-dated.

I have to add I did not particularly like how BMW integrated nav into the 135i. It looks out of place on the top of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotshooter View Post
I just ordered my 135i w/o nav. This will be my first car in 10 years w/o nav. Honestly I never used it that much and after a few years it looks and acts out-of-date. I agree the systems should be upgradeable, but in the end, car makers want you to buy a new car and part of their strategy is to make your current ride seem out-dated.

I have to add I did not particularly like how BMW integrated nav into the 135i. It looks out of place on the top of the dash.
it's called "planned obsolensence" they expect their car to be obsolete within 3 years in order for you to buy the next model. American car makers are the best at that. the trip looks tacky after 3 years, and in some cases will start to fall apart. (at least it was that bad in the 90s)

I truely believe they have things already planned for 2-3 cars ahead of the current version, and could be implemented into a car today, but they wouldn't make any money off the consumer that way. So they just give us a steady trickle of technowlogy so we are always satisfied, but still wanting more.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #26
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Actually many American cars are obsolete before they are released, and as far as falling apart goes, I don't think it's planned, they simply are terrible lol...they are always a few wavelengths behind the rest of auto makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotshooter View Post

it's called "planned obsolensence" they expect their car to be obsolete within 3 years in order for you to buy the next model. American car makers are the best at that. the trip looks tacky after 3 years, and in some cases will start to fall apart. (at least it was that bad in the 90s)

I truely believe they have things already planned for 2-3 cars ahead of the current version, and could be implemented into a car today, but they wouldn't make any money off the consumer that way. So they just give us a steady trickle of technowlogy so we are always satisfied, but still wanting more.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #27
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post
They need to offer improvements and backward compatibility for a reasonable amount of time (Lets say 5 years) before obsolescence. My care was built 1/10 and the are those who have 2011 models and they are already NOT compatible. This is a slap in the face and frankly TOTAL BULLSHIT !

Joseph
When you say not compatible, do you mean you can't install 2011 software in your 2010? I would never expect one years software to be able to do this. Different cars, different hardware. Isn't BMW allowed to improve its cars?

I have I-drive in my '09, and glad I do. The placement of the screen is perfect. The software works great. My only complaint is when I bring up a list of radio stations, I get a list of mumbo jumbo stations, instead of the stations frequency.
      02-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #28
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
My only complaint is when I bring up a list of radio stations, I get a list of mumbo jumbo stations, instead of the stations frequency.
I think you can hit the "option" button and turn off RDS or whatever it is called to get the station frequencies to display instead of the mumbo jumbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #29
GemBm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, Spt Pkg,Nav,PDC,IPOD

I have a 08 with Nav and have no issues with it. You can get updated nav disc from dealer or cheaper if you check directly with company that makes them. Also I think most cars we own now will be obsolete in thirty years! Cars just might be to. By the way, I like the pop up screen better than the hump in the 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemBm View Post
I have a 08 with Nav and have no issues with it. You can get updated nav disc from dealer or cheaper if you check directly with company that makes them. Also I think most cars we own now will be obsolete in thirty years! Cars just might be to. By the way, I like the pop up screen better than the hump in the 1.
that's not really what i mean.....

and i hope you realize that, but if not.

On a collectable standpoint, sort of like a lot of the BMW owners of today pining over an old E30, that just isn't going to happen for a lot of the newer cars with their extra electronic crap.

don't get me wrong, i like the nav systems, they just aren't worth the money, and they bring down the value (in my opinion) on the used car end of it, as it's so out of date, i'll just be buying a current aftermarket one anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #31
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Quote:
have done both Tom tom and garmin....

have used dvd bassed before. I'l stick with tom tom or garmin.

can you imagine having one of these cars in 30 years and thinking "why did someone order this with this archaic screen in it? and what does it do?

nav systems embedded in cars are never going to age well.
It's NOT just Nav. Personally, I have NO problem with iDrive. I use many of it's other features just as much as the Nav. Also, I like having a LARGE screen with a map of the area.
      02-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #32
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
don't get me wrong, i like the nav systems, they just aren't worth the money, and they bring down the value (in my opinion) on the used car end of it, as it's so out of date, i'll just be buying a current aftermarket one anyhow.

Bingo. $2000 when a $200 Garmin would suffice? No thanks.

And yes, I understand that iDrive does other things, but not enough to warrant the extra "0," IMO.

If you plan on keeping your car for more than a few years, you're going to encounter a day when the high-tech nav system just doesn't seem so high-tech anymore. It just won't age as gracefully as the rest of the car.

To each his own, of course.

I personally think that any car-based system is going to have to integrate more with other personal devices (smartphones or whatever) and eventually offer some upgradability, because any purely car-based system is going to seem as ridiculous as having a phone hardwired into your car (remember that?)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #33
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Bingo. $2000 when a $200 Garmin would suffice? No thanks.

And yes, I understand that iDrive does other things, but not enough to warrant the extra "0," IMO.

If you plan on keeping your car for more than a few years, you're going to encounter a day when the high-tech nav system just doesn't seem so high-tech anymore. It just won't age as gracefully as the rest of the car.

To each his own, of course.

I personally think that any car-based system is going to have to integrate more with other personal devices (smartphones or whatever) and eventually offer some upgradability, because any purely car-based system is going to seem as ridiculous as having a phone hardwired into your car (remember that?)
that's pretty much dead on what i mean.

and yes the i-drive is attached to a million other components of the car, all that means to me is more to go wrong, especially that day you hit a speed bump 5 years from now and your coffee ends up on it somehow. good luck replacing it.

especially when they've stopped doing nav updates because the system is so out of date.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #34
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Which is why I lease... they all look dated after 3 or so years. That being said, I love the idrive system in my 2010.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #35
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
I think you can hit the "option" button and turn off RDS or whatever it is called to get the station frequencies to display instead of the mumbo jumbo.
my car has no option button (standard radio with HD)

what is this option button you speak of
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #36
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
my car has no option button (standard radio with HD)

what is this option button you speak of
For 09' and on iDrive, there is an "option" button below the iDrive controller.

Turning off RDS in non iDrive cars is a little different. Refer to the 2:55 minute mark of this video to figure out how to do it.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...2-b4dbbb51b25b
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #37
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I guess I was confused

I just want to turn the HD shit off, it's terrible always dropping in/out, I just want it to be regular radio

I end up listening to the same station in AM so I do not have to deal with the HD cutting issue, there are no radio stations close enough to me to give reliable HD coverage
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #38
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I guess I was confused

I just want to turn the HD shit off, it's terrible always dropping in/out, I just want it to be regular radio

I end up listening to the same station in AM so I do not have to deal with the HD cutting issue, there are no radio stations close enough to me to give reliable HD coverage
Sorry, didn't realize that was what info you were after.

For iDrive, it is still something you can turn off the same way you turn off the RDS.

For non iDrive, it looks like it is the same as turning off RDS, at least according to this post.

Last edited by tcd223; 02-09-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0