BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325i & 128 M Sport

HK Stereo & BMW Assist Requirement

I ordered a 2012 1 Series and in order to get the HK stereo it is required to add BMW Assist. My CA says it's because HK requires a "comm box" that is part of BMW Assist. What does "on star" and Bluetooth have to do with an upgraded stereo. Sounds like BS to me and just another way for BMWNA to gauge.

Could it be a websire glitch? When you build a 3 series online BMW Assist is added when you add HK. But I just built an M1 and added HK and it did NOT require BMW Assist.

Please someone tell me it's a glitch! I don't want to effectively spend $1500 for HK and "on star".
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I'm a client advisor and according to BMW's ordering guides that is not true.

However why do you not want BMW assist???? The bluetooth is worth the $750 all day long, also the combox makes the ipod integration much better.

What specs are you planning for your car?

Last edited by dicker; 03-22-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
I'm a client advisor and according to BMW's ordering guides that is not true.

However why the fuck do you not want BMW assist???? The bluetooth is worth the $750 all day long, also the combox makes the ipod integration much better.

What specs are you planning for your car?
My thoughts exactly...

(I'm a CA as well)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting a fairly scaled down 128. No premium. No Nav. I figure I can buy a bluetooth earpiece for $100 so why spend $750 for BMW Assist. It seems Assist/Bluetooth offers more benefits if you have Nav. But I do want the HK stereo.

If you guys can convince that Assist (bluetooth) is worth $750 vs buying a jawbone earpiece for $100 on top of the $800 for the HK please go ahead. I'd love to hear your feedback and advice.

I'm just confused because this was not a requirement last year and it's not required on the M1 so thought it was a website glitch.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i CSM

My CA, like MAR's, told me it was required as well.
Bluetooth is automaticalled added when HK is chosen on the "Build your own" Specs for a 135 on BMWUSA's website.

Have you CA's placed an order for a 135 LCI with HK yet? Because I trust my CA that he wouldn't have me add bluetooth if it wasn't now required.

That being said I like BMW Assist and am going to go ahead with the additional Bluetooth.. even though I'm not thrilled about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes CA's are just Client Advisors..
But like MAR and I are saying- our advisors are saying Bluetooth/Assist is required now when HK surround is added.

The two CA's that posted in this thread are saying thats not true-- I don't know what to think but I trust my CA (and BMWUSA's website).

My CA also said the same as "dicker" in that BMW Assist is worth the money and as far as resale goes it helps alot (Not that I care b/c I plan to keep this car til its death)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My CA said BMW was coming out with a new order guide to reflect that HK requires BMW Assist. I don't see anything about ordering Bluetooth as a stand alone option. I don't want to spend the $750 for BMW Assist but I do want HK.

I will go to a dealer to try the BMW Assist bluetooth function. I've never used bluetooth. Will also listen to the non-HK stereo.

I just feel like it's a lot of money to have to add HK and Assist ($1500 total).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep

They very well may change the ordering guide soon, BMW is bad at communication with the dealers about these things, as of right now there is no mention, but I have not ordered any LCI 1 series without bluetooth yet.

The BMW assist is definitely worth the $750 as keeping a $100 earpiece with you sucks, you have to charge it, you can lose it ETC, also they make my ear hurt. The other benefit is that it will give you the combox which enhances ipod control. If you're leasing the car and you can't afford the bluetooth, I understand, but it will help resale value down the road.

Derek
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
MAR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks Derek.

How does Assit (bluetooth function) work without Nav? How does it help the ipod controls? I am keeping the car long term hopefully. Not leasing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep

The ipod is controlled using just the white ipod cable when you have combox, no Y cable that can fail. If you have nav it will also show album art on the screen. The bluetooth is controlled through the radio and your contacts will be integrated there. you can also program voice dialing so you can do everything without taking your hands off the wheel.

Also you get the benefits of BMW assist (remote door unlock, vehicle tracking, emergency and location services so roadside works better. Also you can make emergency calls if your cell phone is dead)

Last edited by dicker; 03-22-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Just curious, how does the combox make iPod integration "much better" in non-iDrive equipped vehicles? The interface is still through the headunit, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Just curious, how does the combox make iPod integration "much better" in non-iDrive equipped vehicles? The interface is still through the headunit, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I was wondering that also. The radio read out is bad, especially if polarized sunglasses are involved. No benefit if you are not on an Apple product, either.
Since you are not getting iDrive/Nav... I see no reason to order blue tooth either. I prefer my cars more "back to basics and elemental" than pc based high tech gadgets.

I don't have iDrive and I do not regret that at all. OP I also bet you a 6MT guy too right>? I think all of us (above) are too.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
MPFit
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting the Bluetooth Assist.. And no- I'm not a high tech guy. I have never once used a bluetooth device.
For me it comes down to the fact that I have heard the HK stereo and have to have it.. Does it suck I need to spend extra for another option to get it? Yes. But still worth it in my opinion- I think the HK system is great- the subs and sub placement alone make my mouth water!
And yes, 6MT forever.

EDIT: And no, no iDrive for me either.. Don't need it.
I wanted it as basic as possible- but will throw in bluetooth for HK.
Appreciate 0