BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

What is the limit of the N54 engine?

How much can you do to the engine before you reached too far or the limit?
1- In terms of HP gain, what is the most you can go before you have to modify the engine internally
2- In terms of Boost gain, same as above
3- When you go larger turbos, what does the work entail? (From mapping to custom software maybe or is there currently a map that works with larger turbos?)
4- Who makes internal parts that are stronger and better than stock for this engine? (who is super reliable?)
5- Who makes larger Turbos for this engine?

Sorry for all these questions, I am trying to figure out which route i am going to take on this car; if keeping it long term it will mean a lot more than just a cobb tune and an exhaust for me, i will have to go hard core with larger turbos, custom tune, internal engine work...

Any input is very helpful, let's please not make this a debate but rather a civilized conversation with a lot of information sharing; I am only saying this because one of my other threads about tunes turned into a small mess at the end.

Thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

All of answers to these questions are readily available to you. If you are seriously thinking of modding, I would suggest that you do some of your own research as there are quite a few paths you can take.

You found the correct forum, just run a few searches, and you'll have your answers!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Search is your friend

You're limited to about 400-450 whp stock by the turbos. After that you are limited to about 550-600 HP by the fuel system and the transmission.

What happens after that hasn't been fully explored yet as far as I know

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2025 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Search is your friend

You're limited to about 400-450 whp stock by the turbos. After that you are limited to about 550-600 HP by the fuel system and the transmission.

What happens after that hasn't been fully explored yet as far as I know
really we are limited to about 450 with the fuel system but we are using meth as a fueling bandaid. unfortunately upgraded fuel system doesnt exist yet (or we cant get it atleast) but upgraded turbos do.
2005 M3 6MT - VF Engineering S/C / KW / StopTech / Dinan / HPF Stage III (removed)- Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iSB View Post
really we are limited to about 450 with the fuel system but we are using meth as a fueling bandaid. unfortunately upgraded fuel system doesnt exist yet (or we cant get it atleast) but upgraded turbos do.
Fair enough. AR was experimenting with a supplemental port injection system last year, not sure what's going on with that as of now.

But I know for a fact that the step gets a bit grumpy once you go past 500bhp. It won't shift at wot anymore. You need to lift and go again and pretend it's a clutchless manual

Appreciate 0