BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Manual vs Power Seats

I am sure this has been posted, but I am far too lazy too look through thousands of posts. :biggrin:

Do the power seats have any more adjustments than the manual seats? My CA told me that the manuals have the same adjustments, they just are not powered. Can anyone confirm/deny this? :iono:

For anyone interested (since I have posted a large number of questions), I am getting close to ordering a BSM 128i, Black 'Ette, Sports Package, Xenons, Ipod, and BMW Assist. :thumbup:

As always, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

If the power seats are part of premium package you get lumbar support, otherwise I think they are the same (not 100% sure though).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

you can fine tune your adjustments a bit more with the power seats, the manual ones move in set increments. Also, no lumbar support with manual setats

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone with the manual seats regret not getting the power? I have manuals now in my Acura and think I would be just fine without the power seats but want to hear from those who actually own the car. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

And there is NOTHING better then power seats + CA. I touch the door handle and the mirrors and seats all go to my saved setting. My wife comes in after me with her key fob in her pocket and everything auto adjusts to her. Can't get that with manual.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The manual seats are perfect. You get longitudal direction, height, backrest, tilt and thigh support adjustments (manual). These work very quickly and effectively. In addition, you get an elctrical switch for backrest width. You also get convenient entry, for rear seat entry with previous position memory that works faster than the all-electric seats. All in all - there is nothing different except you have to use a few muscles.
Attached Images

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You da man Lester! :headbang: I guess the only thing it doesn't have is the lumbar support. As far as memory seats go, I will be the only one driving the car, so no need. I am also opting not to get the comfort access to keep my monthly payments down (I know it would not add much, but if I said that to every little option it would add up) as well as preventing potential electrical problems with it down the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk749 View Post
I am sure this has been posted, but I am far too lazy too look through thousands of posts. :biggrin:

Do the power seats have any more adjustments than the manual seats? My CA told me that the manuals have the same adjustments, they just are not powered. Can anyone confirm/deny this? :iono:

For anyone interested (since I have posted a large number of questions), I am getting close to ordering a BSM 128i, Black 'Ette, Sports Package, Xenons, Ipod, and BMW Assist. :thumbup:

I ordered electrics, as I also wanted CA, so they go well together. I think the rear folding forward of the manual's is much faster than electrics. Also if you have premium package with it, you also get the automatic pointing down of the passenger side mirror when in reverse.
      06-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Power seats are better when there are two drivers (memory) or if you need the lumbar support.

Manual seats are better when you put anyone or anything in the back (faster access)

Beyond that they're the same. The manual sport seats even have a power side bolster width adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I know that power seats on a E46 M3 weigh in at 62 lbs each!!! Not sure about the non power seats weight!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #11
Perfect128
Perfect128
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 128i

100% happy with my manuals. After the first few times you adjust them you get the intuitive feel for where everything is. They have plenty of axes of adjustment and enough travel to be useful. No regrets on saving money, weight, and complexity.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #12
1stBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
And there is NOTHING better then power seats + CA. I touch the door handle and the mirrors and seats all go to my saved setting. My wife comes in after me with her key fob in her pocket and everything auto adjusts to her. Can't get that with manual.
Katera, what happens if you both get in the car at the same time with both of your key fobs? Which key fob does CA recognize? My wife is 5-2, and I'm 6-1, so it does make a difference.

P.S. - Great Pictures of Kat with the top down.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 01:20 AM   #13
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

it seems that for the money your 128 is gonna cost you could get a 135 with less options (it will come with the xenons and sport suspension standard). i think that this alone, would make more difference than anything else you could get on this car. (actually if it wasn't for the twin turbo i-6, i'd get an infiniti and have a much more reliable and more practicle car, that's faster than a 128 and has great handling, and comes standard with leather, power seats and a bunch of other stuff that should be standard on a 30K luxury car, but that's just me.)

as far as power seats go, i think the biggest advantage is being able to fine tune your position while your driving, and there are more available positions because they are analog.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #14
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Quote:
Anyone with the manual seats regret not getting the power? I have manuals now in my Acura and think I would be just fine without the power seats but want to hear from those who actually own the car. Thanks!
I love the manual seats... don't miss the oh so slowness of power seats...

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #15
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
(actually if it wasn't for the twin turbo i-6, i'd get an infiniti and have a much more reliable and more practicle car, that's faster than a 128 and has great handling, and comes standard with leather, power seats and a bunch of other stuff that should be standard on a 30K luxury car, but that's just me.)
Wait a minute...

Are you looking for a big sedan or a small coupe? They seem like completely different cars but what you seem to be saying is you went from wanting a 4800 lb 4-door luxury sedan to a 3400 lb 2-door sports coupe because the coupe is a half second faster to 60...

I'm just trying to follow the reasoning.... It keeps leading me to believe you should have gone with a 335 sedan so that you could have the same n54 engine while still holding on to the 4-door practicality of the bigger sedan that you seem to want. But, since you didn't go that route I loop back to the beginning and ask... Why?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I simply like to understand what goes on in people's heads :smile:. The car buying experience for me is a matter of deciding what I want in a car and then finding the cars that fill those needs. The list that would send me towards a 1-series is completely different than the list that would send me towards a g35 sedan.

(Sorry for taking this off-topic. Manual seats are great! :thumbup
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

If you want to save $995 get manual seats. If you don't need memory seats, get the manual seats. If you don't need to adjust the seats while driving, get the manual seats. If you aren't trying to impress somebody, get the manual seats. If you don't care, get the manual seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #17
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
it seems that for the money your 128 is gonna cost you could get a 135 with less options (it will come with the xenons and sport suspension standard).
Would you mind sending me a check every month for the price difference? Not trying to give you a hard time, but even without the ipod and sports package (two things I really want - BMW Assist is an absolute must for me since I need the bluetooth connectivity) there is about a $75/month price difference between the 128 and 135. I will be more than happy to give you my address if you plan on sending me my monthly check .
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
If you want to save $995 get manual seats. If you don't need memory seats, get the manual seats. If you don't need to adjust the seats while driving, get the manual seats. If you aren't trying to impress somebody, get the manual seats. If you don't care, get the manual seats.
Hmmm.... sounds exactly like my thinking. And if anyone gives me crap about having maual seats, I'll and that will be the end of it:biggrin:
      06-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #19
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stBimmer View Post
Katera, what happens if you both get in the car at the same time with both of your key fobs? Which key fob does CA recognize? My wife is 5-2, and I'm 6-1, so it does make a difference.

P.S. - Great Pictures of Kat with the top down.

It adjusts to whoever is opening the drivers door and has their key fob in their pocket. Never had an issue with her or me getting in the passenger side with another fob.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #20
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Would you mind sending me a check every month for the price difference? Not trying to give you a hard time, but even without the ipod and sports package (two things I really want - BMW Assist is an absolute must for me since I need the bluetooth connectivity) there is about a $75/month price difference between the 128 and 135. I will be more than happy to give you my address if you plan on sending me my monthly check .
find cheaper financing? get it with jetblack instead of bsm? also, why don't you calculate in the price of power seats on the 128, it seems you can afford that?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
kingh99
Rep
Drives:

This car to me is all about the performance aspects. Power windows is where I draw the line. Power seats and other niceties on a 128 or no niceties, no power seats on a 135i? I chose the latter. I can't it stripped down enough .
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #22
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

if you're tall like me the lack of a motor under the seat lets you squeak out an extra inch or so of headroom!
Appreciate 0