BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #23
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

so it is easily removed right? I def don't want it in mine even though I have the nav...
      03-16-2008, 04:40 AM   #24
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I don't think we get that extra holder over here whether we have navi or not. I don't mind it as long as it folds away neatly when not in use.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #25
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Well it doesn't fold but it can be unplugged from the console completely. It is very strange that the non-navi has it though....part of the premium pack?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #26
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
That's a non-nav car.. what is it doing with the 3rd cup holder? Did it come that way?
It came that way. The salesman thought it was great. I'm taking it off today.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #27
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

I have the third cup holder and no navi...I took it out the first day. I only have sport pack..no premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #28
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

yup i got one in mine too

no nav, just sport package

11-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #29
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Apparently it was a glitch. This was discussed in a previous thread, but if the CA put in the computer for Nav it loaded this as an extra feature, but the removed the Nav from the configuration it did not automatically remove the feature, and since it was an added feature at no cost, there was no reason to manually remove it. This is purely second-hand information from the other thread, but apparently it was common practice for the CA to start with a fully loaded car and subtract features, rather than add them from a base model.

But, to be honest, my rear cup-holder is also useless unless the console is up, and I have no nav. The one in front of it is great for something small, but even a soda can keeps me from shifting easily and I don't allow beverages in the car without a lid anyways. That third cupholder is great and I use it every day. Well, except when I flew cross country last month. But then I had rented a Ford Focus and I was too worried about people laughing at me to even think about cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #30
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Apparently it was a glitch. This was discussed in a previous thread, but if the CA put in the computer for Nav it loaded this as an extra feature, but the removed the Nav from the configuration it did not automatically remove the feature, and since it was an added feature at no cost, there was no reason to manually remove it. This is purely second-hand information from the other thread, but apparently it was common practice for the CA to start with a fully loaded car and subtract features, rather than add them from a base model.

But, to be honest, my rear cup-holder is also useless unless the console is up, and I have no nav. The one in front of it is great for something small, but even a soda can keeps me from shifting easily and I don't allow beverages in the car without a lid anyways. That third cupholder is great and I use it every day. Well, except when I flew cross country last month. But then I had rented a Ford Focus and I was too worried about people laughing at me to even think about cup holders.
LOL, you are more lenient than I, no food/drink in my car whatsoever!
      11-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #31
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

In the BMW Catalog found on bmw.com you can find this as an optional Extra, so it has nothing to do with SAT Nav

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #32
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by adood84 View Post
In the BMW Catalog found on bmw.com you can find this as an optional Extra, so it has nothing to do with SAT Nav

The black checkbox in that photo means it's standard, not optional, but it's only standard on cars with Navigation.

There's a glitch in BMW's ordering system here. When the car gets equipped with nav, it gets the cupholder option, but if the Nav is removed, the cupholder doesn't get taken off. It's been discussed at length in several other threads, and it's not an individual option here. Every non-nav car that has it was once equipped with the Nav option, and then had it removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #33
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The black checkbox in that photo means it's standard, not optional, but it's only standard on cars with Navigation.

There's a glitch in BMW's ordering system here. When the car gets equipped with nav, it gets the cupholder option, but if the Nav is removed, the cupholder doesn't get taken off. It's been discussed at length in several other threads, and it's not an individual option here. Every non-nav car that has it was once equipped with the Nav option, and then had it removed.
Yes and no.
The black box on the top left and the unchecked box at the top right are the symbols for the "legend". Below the photo is actually an unchecked box, which shows the cupholder as optional.

I am the member that posted the original solution to the cupholder. In the '08 models, it became known as the #442 cupholder. Because the optional NAV kills one of the two center console cupholders, the #442 cupholder is then added when NAV is selected to makeup for the lost cupholder.

As a result, in the dealer's vehicle ordering software, any time Nav is selected, it automatically adds the #442 cupholder. However, if NAV is deselected, the 442 cupholder does not automatically deselect... it still remains as a part of the order unless the dealer knows to manually deselected it from within the software.

That's some straaaaange software. LOL.
      11-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #34
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Yes and no.
The black box on the top left and the unchecked box at the top right are the symbols for the "legend". Below the photo is actually an unchecked box, which shows the cupholder as optional.

I am the member that posted the original solution to the cupholder. In the '08 models, it became known as the #442 cupholder. Because the optional NAV kills one of the two center console cupholders, the #442 cupholder is then added when NAV is selected to makeup for the lost cupholder.

As a result, in the dealer's vehicle ordering software, any time Nav is selected, it automatically adds the #442 cupholder. However, if NAV is deselected, the 442 cupholder does not automatically deselect... it still remains as a part of the order unless the dealer knows to manually deselected it from within the software.

That's some straaaaange software. LOL.

You can't order the Option #442 by itself though, so it's NOT really an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #35
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Does this mean I can't use the door handle anymore?

EspressoBoy

BTW if you don't allow ppl to eat in your car, then while doing the yearly clean, there are not tasty frienchfries from McD's...ya can always tell as they look as good as the day the landed under the chair 10 months ago...

Yoda

"Yoda, no eating in the car!!!"

EspressoBoy

PS
I know, Yoda is supposed to talk like he does in the movies, but that is only after his espresso. He has not had it yet.

PS

Oh I have BMW 135i Coupe/Sport and only got the cup-crusher in the middle, and the silly cupholder on the side and the damn clip hit me in the head, when I put in a big bottle of water. Now I walk around with that clip hanging out of my forhead. Yup I am think on a lawsuit. Know any good lawyers? no 1900 numbers please, I have been banned. *smirk*
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #36
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
BMW Cat No. #14556-388a - Optional 3rd and 4th cupholders...
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #37
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You can't order the Option #442 by itself though, so it's NOT really an option.
beat me to it! hey man, did you reconsider on the tires yet? I still have them. I may wait until spring and then sell them when the demand picks back up
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_soldier View Post
beat me to it! hey man, did you reconsider on the tires yet? I still have them. I may wait until spring and then sell them when the demand picks back up

I just ordered a set of winter tires for the factory wheels, and I'm going to go up to 19s in the summer. I'd say you'll have better luck with them in the spring for sure. :w00t:
Appreciate 0