BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
tommy_zito
Rep
Drives: 09 sapphire black 135i M sport

09 135 M sport 40K

Hey guys,

My 135 M Sport is coming up on 40K miles. Was thinking of doing the walnut blast to my intake, and adding a oil catch can. Can any one tell me if you actually notice a differance after its done? and Whats the classiest OCC out there? here are some photos of car

01-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

When you post pics of your car, you leave yourself open to all kinds of criticism, whether it be positive or negative.

With that said, did you de-badge your car and add the M badge? If you didn't add the M badge and maybe the previous owner did, remove it asap because it just screams poser. If you did add the M badge, remove it asap because it just screams poser.

IMHO, never add an M badge to your car, especially to the outside.

Of course, you'll do what you want, but that's my 2 cents.

Last edited by Esteban; 01-30-2015 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Do the walnut blasting.
      01-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
tommy_zito
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
When you post pics of your car, you leave yourself open to all kinds of criticism, whether it be positive or negative.

With that said, did you de-badge your car and add the M badge? If you didn't add the M badge and maybe the previous owner did, remove it asap because it just screams poser. If you did add the M badge, remove it asap because it just screams poser.

IMHO, never add an M badge to your car, especially to the outside.

Of course, you'll do what you want, but that's my 2 cents.
If i wanted tips about the exterior of my car i would have asked for them.

And of course your going to be the asshole that points something like that out.

OH HOW SHAMEFUL OF ME! OK? Wow. So FYI I bought the car with it on there. Out of curiosity should i also remove my steering wheel? and my shifter? and my bottom door trim? Because they all have M logos? Whats funny about that is i saw a car exactly like mine with the M badge and all...
      01-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Nice car!! Don't worry about the criticism about the ///M badge. To each his own! I have rear quarter window decals that say ///M Performamnce on my 09.
      01-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_zito View Post

OH HOW SHAMEFUL OF ME! OK? Wow. So FYI I bought the car with it on there. Out of curiosity should i also remove my steering wheel? and my shifter? and my bottom door trim? Because they all have M logos? Whats funny about that is i saw a car exactly like mine with the M badge and all...
Relax buddy. Take a chill pill. Like I said, that's my opinion. If you want to look like a poser, then that's up to you.

And all those other M badges that are on your car came that way from the factory. They weren't added on. I have an Msport as well so I know.

Now I'm sure you did it AND debadged your car as well. Were you hoping someone would mistake you for a 1M? Ha! Not a chance

And your the asshole, ASSHOLE!
      01-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Rob.K

My buddy Rob does walnut blasting. The pics he has shown me are crazy, definitely do it lol.

I'm doing mine this spring. Make sure to replace the intake manifold gasket after though, and this is a good time to replace the oil filter housing gasket for preventative maintenance as it will leak eventually.

Jumping on the M badge train, it's smaller, a different location than the 1M, and unique. Not for me but it's different at least. Regardless you ride look sweet man

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
milocher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:

Calm your tits. I'll never understand how the hell people can get so damn defensive over other people's opinions. Definitely agree with Evan on this one, it looks like shit. To supplement that, you're indeed an asshole for flipping out like a child.

To answer your question, ya I'd definitely get a walnut blast! I'm sure you could extend it by about 10k miles if you wanted, but you're likely to notice a difference if you do it now. There are a couple good OCCs out there, people seem pretty happy with BMS's and the price is reasonable (very functional piece from what I'm told). Hope that helps!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
SDcali
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 135i M Sport

I'm at about the same in terms of mileage, and I would say I am an "enthusiastic" driver.

That being said, is this something that is a must if you want to make the car last? I am considering tuning as well so I would assume this would only add to my likelihood of needing it...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
tommy_zito
Rep

Quote:
Relax buddy. Take a chill pill. Like I said, that's my opinion. If you want to look like a poser, then that's up to you.

And all those other M badges that are on your car came that way from the factory. They weren't added on. I have an Msport as well so I know.

Now I'm sure you did it AND debadged your car as well. Were you hoping someone would mistake you for a 1M? Ha! Not a chance

And your the asshole, ASSHOLE!
Well i guess I'm just weird to think its rude that the 1st time you talk to a person it has to be something negative and down grading. thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
Rob.K

My buddy Rob does walnut blasting. The pics he has shown me are crazy, definitely do it lol.

I'm doing mine this spring. Make sure to replace the intake manifold gasket after though, and this is a good time to replace the oil filter housing gasket for preventative maintenance as it will leak eventually.

Jumping on the M badge train, it's smaller, a different location than the 1M, and unique. Not for me but it's different at least. Regardless you ride look sweet man
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by milocher View Post
Calm your tits. I'll never understand how the hell people can get so damn defensive over other people's opinions. Definitely agree with Evan on this one, it looks like shit. To supplement that, you're indeed an asshole for flipping out like a child.

To answer your question, ya I'd definitely get a walnut blast! I'm sure you could extend it by about 10k miles if you wanted, but you're likely to notice a difference if you do it now. There are a couple good OCCs out there, people seem pretty happy with BMS's and the price is reasonable (very functional piece from what I'm told). Hope that helps!
Yes it did thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE82 View Post
Nice car!! Don't worry about the criticism about the ///M badge. To each his own! I have rear quarter window decals that say ///M Performamnce on my 09.
Thank you!
      01-31-2015, 11:47 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well i guess I'm just weird to think its rude that the 1st time you talk to a person it has to be something negative and down grading. thats all.
Not at all. You were the one who started making this abusive. I was just giving my opinion and a recommendation, from one 1er owner to another. There was no reason to pussy-foot around about it. You have a 135i Msport model, which is not a true ///M car. That's obvious to everyone, and that's nothing to be ashamed of or something to try to conceal behind an ///M badge when you're driving down the street. Me, I'm proud of what I drive.

Last edited by Esteban; 02-01-2015 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Alright so moving on (see below) we can all agree that this is wrong and hate on Honda drivers for it. Everyone gets their panties in a knot over three lines and a letter... Who cares.

The walnut blast is something that should be part of routine maintenance as the N52/54/55 builds up a LOT of carbon in a short period of time and clogs up the valves
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright so moving on (see below) we can all agree that this is wrong and hate on Honda drivers for it. Everyone gets their panties in a knot over three lines and a letter... Who cares.
Who cares? The car gods care. Blasphemy! Sacrilege!
      02-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #14
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Who cares? The car gods care. Blasphemy! Sacrilege!
Touché sir

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
All the poser stuff aside, it looks like crap in its current location. IF you want to keep it, move it to the correct location. 2nd, do the walnut blast, it's insurance against future issues!
      02-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #16
Rob.K
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 4.8i X5

Quote:
Hey guys,
My 135 M Sport is coming up on 40K miles. Was thinking of doing the walnut blast to my intake, and adding a oil catch can. Can any one tell me if you actually notice a differance after its done? and Whats the classiest OCC out there? here are some photos of car
I'd definitely do it. The vast majority of cars that I've Walnut blasted experience smoother idle. The valves can get pretty gross...

I know what I'd rather drive around with

Quote:

The walnut blast is something that should be part of routine maintenance as the N52/54/55 builds up a LOT of carbon in a short period of time and clogs up the valves
N52 won't have this problem due to not being Direct Injection.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #17
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Ohh that Estoril E36 M3/4 though....
      02-02-2015, 03:48 AM   #18
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have 25k miles of mixed track and autobahn driving on my N55 and the intake ports were squeeky clean and no carbon build up. Guess Im lucky!
      02-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #19
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

+1 on debadging the ///M badge on the rear. Looks like shit IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #20
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

tommy_zito > Do the blasting. It helps. Before and after pics speak for themselves.

On the ///M badge -- here we go again. LMAO! This subject has been covered at nauseum. Here are my two-pennies. I'm not criticizing you BTW. If you're happy with the badge then by all means.

Sooooo, here's the skinny >

99% of people who DON'T own/drive BMW's have no clue or understanding of its significance (it just looks cool). SHIT, The majority of people who DO own BMW's probably don't understand it either (more about status). The only people who know, understand, and give a shit AT ALL...are enthusiasts like us and people who own/bought true ///M vehicles -- fully understanding what that label means.

In there -- I guess -- lies the point. Those few people who know/understand the meaning behind the ///M, may or may-not laugh at your expense. That, or you'll be characterized as a douche-bag from the rip. Look at it this way, it's like being skinny as shit...and wearing a t-shirt with air-brushed muscles on it -- LOL!

That said, there really isn't a rule of thumb. You can proudly rock/place whatever you want on your car -- it's YOURS after all. Just be aware of who you are/are-not appealing to and the criticism it opens you up to.

Last edited by TUN3D; 02-03-2015 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

I say leave the M badge. I enjoy having a good laugh when I see them slapped all up on every panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #22
xbrentx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Guys it not like they made 1 m up to today so while someone might have wanted a 1m they are getting older point being fault bmw for not giving people newer 1m options. M235i not being a real m car either. Decal argument kinda old like the 1m
Appreciate 0