BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Service sleep-overs with your 1er

Heard a discussion on the radio this morning about SA and technicians taking customer cars home for the evening, and the horror stories that inevitably arise. Anytime my cars have been road tested after hours, my SA has called for approval. The radio host stated that by dropping off the car and signing the standard work authorization we're giving them permission to drive the car even after business hours, if necessary, to diagnose a problem.

I've generally had good experiences with BMW service, I find most techs and SAs are respectful and classy. When I took the car in for break-in oil service, I had to wait a good 15 minutes for them to pull the car around, the service technician whipped around the corner. I imediately thought FERRIS BUELER'S DAY OFF. He stepped out and muttled "damn nice car" under his breath. Thanked him for the compliment and took the keys to inspect over 5 miles on my trip odometer and all my radio settings adjusted. Last time I'll go back there.

Anyone know the specifics on this? How do you guys feel about "test drives" or "road tests" with your 1er, mainly concerning a sleep-over with a tech or SA?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Always note your odometer reading at drop off, NOT trip meter as that can obviously be reset easily. If there appears to be an inappropriate amount of miles on the car on return call them out on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
If that kind of stuff happened to me, I would be out for blood. The tech changed your radio presets? That deserves a call to BMW NA, with the tech's name being given to BMW customer service. As well as a call to the Service Manager or GM of the dealership.

This is one of the least professional things a car dealer can do. You are totally right to never go back to that dealer.

Also, one of the things I will do, in addition to logging to miles on the odometer, is to reset all numbers in the onboard computer. If they don't take the car anywhere, the average speed and MPG should be very small numbers. If they are higher than I expect, i.e. the avg. speed is over 20mph, I know for certain they have been taking the car out onto the street. And most repairs do not require a road test on the street.
      12-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
NJ135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
i work at JMK BMW in NJ and one of my jobs is to bring up customers cars ( like the guy that brought up your car that u reffered to as ferris bueler) and for the most part noone realy tryes any stunts with any cars at my dealership..one ina wile when you have a e90 m3 or an m5 or m6 youd obviously rip it alittle to here the sweet exhaust note:biggrin: but thats about it. the test drivers are usually obligated to drive 2- 20 miles depending on the work done to your car to make sure any lights dont come up on the cluster or any problems come back. and taking a customers car home? thats crazy talk i dont know what kinda dealership your going to but that sounds rediculous
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
When I took the car in for break-in oil service, I had to wait a good 15 minutes for them to pull the car around, the service technician whipped around the corner. I imediately thought FERRIS BUELER'S DAY OFF. He stepped out and muttled "damn nice car" under his breath. Thanked him for the compliment and took the keys to inspect over 5 miles on my trip odometer and all my radio settings adjusted. Last time I'll go back there.
That was probably a valet. Techs generally don't bring the cars to the customer.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
pit1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
The tech changed your radio presets?
No radio presets changed, but Fader, Treble and Bass were all adjusted. No chance it was a reset, Treble was max, Bass a few clicks and Fader set just FW. I'm VERY picky about those settings and I notice right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
That was probably a valet. Techs generally don't bring the cars to the customer.
Agreed Valet it was.

The only times I've had an SA request and overnight test was for a very difficult problem that they could not reproduce. Recently, the SA asked if they could take my 1er home to test out a passenger airbag sensor complaint. The 1er had JUST been released, and I'm sure everyone was eager to see what it could do, wasn't broken in yet. A big HELL NO that time...no need to DRIVE the car to test the passenger airbag sensor. I could just see the tech taking buddies out for joy rides all night.

Other times I've been more than willing to let them take it home for the night. The SA has to earn my trust first, and the problem has bug me and warrant the extended test. My parents give their Porsches to their salesmen constantly to help diagnose problems, very trust worthy and the most professional service staff I've ever experienced. They still continue to pick up the cars from their house or office and leave an equivalent loaner. Service only rivaled by Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
cqq99
I love spring!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135

WHO???

pit1 - Who is the dealer that you are using in NoVA??
I want to make sure I stay away from them!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
pit1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqq99 View Post
pit1 - Who is the dealer that you are using in NoVA??
I want to make sure I stay away from them!!!
The oil change radio fiddlers were BMW of Arlington. I didn't buy it there, but it's right down the road from my office so I thought it would be a good service center. It's too crowded, and EXPENSIVE...oil service was +$200. DIY NOW!!!

I bought the car and service it at BMW of Sterling, I have NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT THEM. I was a major pain in the ass with the passenger airbag problem and their hands were tied from BMWNA; could not replicate the problem or get fault code, so they couldn't act on it. They did their best to please me, gave me a BMW loaner for a WEEK, didn't actually do anything but their extensive testing likely resolved my issue.

I tried to buy from BMW of Fairfax but the salesman was rude, poor pricing, and tried to tell me PCD was a fee for non M-cars. He had his chance, walked out and never turned back. I can't speak from experience, but would encourage looking into their service reputation before going there.

BMW of Sterling is a bit of a drive, especially for you, but it's in a more rural area. They have a nice facility and so far, good people. I directed a few friends to buy from them. Oh and their right down the road from AllSportGP Karting Track...so always a good excuse to stop by for a few races. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
cqq99
I love spring!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
The oil change radio fiddlers were BMW of Arlington. I didn't buy it there, but it's right down the road from my office so I thought it would be a good service center. It's too crowded, and EXPENSIVE...oil service was +$200. DIY NOW!!!
Thanks for the information!
Also why are you paying for Oil Changes?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
pit1
Captain
Rep

Like some others, I disagree with the prescribed 15K interval. I wanted to to a break-in change (and have since done 10K on my own). Was not a BMW prescribed, 15K, oil service so you pay a pretty penny for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I just had a 10K oil change done and paid $110 for it. I think someone at the dealer also took my car for a drive because it appeared that there was 10 extra miles on the car. Next time I am going to exactly log the mileage when I drop the car off. I do believe they record the mileage when you drop the car off and enter it on the service order. I will tell you though the car seems to drive much better since I did the oil change. Before it felt laggy and a tad slugish. Maybe they had to road test the car? Who knows!

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While "Interim" oil changes done by my dealer have generally cost me around $100, my last one on the 128i was only $78. Since the same dealer sells the oil change kit for around $53, I don't mind paying the $25 labor charge - especially as they always do a nice job washing the car.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppebmw View Post
I think someone at the dealer also took my car for a drive because it appeared that there was 10 extra miles on the car.
10 miles over what was on the repair order, or 10 miles over what you remembered when you dropped it off?

If it was the former, the valets are lazy and usually log the key read mileage as the 'in' mileage. It can be off by 10 miles or more sometimes.

If it was the latter, make it a point that they log the correct mileage on the check-in sheet. When you pick the car up, make sure you check the mileage again. There's really no reason to put any miles on the car for an oil service.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
I have had my car overnight for service twice. both times the vehicle stayed at the dealership overnight and didnt move. I know this because my vehicle has two realtime gps tracking devices on top of the one bmw has built in.

I work for a GPS Tracking Company, guess its one of the perks.

Vehicle does seem to move around a lot while at the dealership though.

The view from the sky isn't updated, Fields in Lakeland expanded their dealership. the far left is actually the carwash section now.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Hmmm I think they shuld reconsider whos workn their Valet if thats whos really doing that bc, I'm a valet attendant sumtimes and we know NOT to change or touch anyhing in anyones cars, only things we touch is the Steering wheel and shift knob, sometimes the seats adjusted but we put them back to original... idk why so many people speak so badly of valet.....

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #16
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
. . .idk why so many people speak so badly of valet.....
We watch too many movies? ; -)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Hey,
When I was in my teens to early 20's used to valet cars for a catering hall. With that in mind, I will NEVER allow my car to be valet parked.
Would you let one of these kids valet park your house, or girlfriend or wife, boat, etc..
Guess when we take it to the dealer we dont have much choice though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

Dont they all drive BMW themself?

When I went to the BMW center to test drive, the CA told me he drives BMW 335i Coupe. When I talked to managers, they all drive BMW.
During the new ower clinic, all tech told me they drive BMW and will not drive any other type car. So I thought that's a good thing they are customers at the same time and may know BMW issues first hand.
Why do they drive customer's cars then?
      12-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansenc View Post
I have had my car overnight for service twice. both times the vehicle stayed at the dealership overnight and didnt move. I know this because my vehicle has two realtime gps tracking devices on top of the one bmw has built in.

I work for a GPS Tracking Company, guess its one of the perks.

Vehicle does seem to move around a lot while at the dealership though.

The view from the sky isn't updated, Fields in Lakeland expanded their dealership. the far left is actually the carwash section now.
haha that's so sweet!