BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Oil filter housing gasket replacement

my 2010 128i with 75k miles, and i've noticed a oil film around the ofhg for the past year or two. I've seen the DIY and it looks at my skill level, so is this a good pre-emptive maintenance item? Or am i just making more work for myself and should wait until it leaks? I'm close to an oil change and thought it might make the job easier with the oil drained.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hops128i; 01-18-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

It won't be easier with the oil drained, but do it now anyway before it makes a mess leaking oil all over everything and fouling your serpentine belt.

Honestly, one of the crappiest things about this job is cleaning the oil scum off everything, so save yourself a lot of effort and get preemptive...

ianc
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
1mang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
before it makes a mess leaking oil all over everything and fouling your serpentine belt.
Agreed! This might cause your belt to shred prematurely too!

Since you are doing the oil filter housing gasket, might as well do the oil cooler gasket too in one shot. Those leak as well...
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mang View Post

Since you are doing the oil filter housing gasket, might as well do the oil cooler gasket too in one shot. Those leak as well...
Doesn't look like he has an oil cooler.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
before it makes a mess leaking oil all over everything and fouling your serpentine belt.

Yeah, I've already replaced the belt and tensioner, but sounds like the most are failing because of a ofhg leak
      01-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Make sure you use the correct E-Torx sockets and not 12pt sockets because someone else got away with it. Those bolts are soft.

Remove the oil filter and syringe out all the remaining oil in the bowl and remove your belt before the starting the job.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
remove your belt before the starting the job
You mean the belt that holds up your pants? ;-)

ianc
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Bahaha! It's become habit for me to not wear a belt when working on cars anyway.

On a more serious note, if the serpentine belt has become contaminated heavily with oil it's best to replace it. Belt is cheap... repairing an engine that has swallowed a belt isnt. Clean the pulleys of all melted rubber in the ribs too.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

did the ofhg today.... appreciate the advice here, and it wasn't too bad. youtube really helped. As far as the mess, it was mostly coolant, and i did bleed the system afterwards. Took me a while to understand how remove the oil pressure sensor (need to push in the metal clips and pull). For a minute, i thought i had really screwed up when loosening the smallest bolt right across from the radiator. The ratchet e10 i was using got stuck with no way to remove it, but with a little more force i realized i could move the whole housing since i had loosed the other two. Anyway, i wouldn't attempt this project without the e10 ratchet and the 1/4" e10 socket with universal.
Attached Images

04-23-2017, 04:48 AM   #10
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
I've owned my 135i for 7 years now as the original owner, 3 years outside of warranty, and this same issue will be the first I have had to spend money on to date besides basic maintenance. I went in for a brake fluid flush yesterday, and the dealership said I need to repair a slowly seeping oil filter housing gasket leak and that on their scale of priority to fix it's yellow... Green meaning it's good, yellow-caution/monitor, red-needs to be fixed asap. I love my car and have done all maintenance, usually in advance and keep really good care inside, out, and by how I drive it... I will continue to be proactive instead of reactive and get this fixed asap... Thing is, it's outside of my capabilities... The dealership quoted me 6 hours labor with parts at about 1k total. I know dealerships are more expensive, but are the hours at least legit? I am going to try and find a mechanic outside of the dealership, but I want to at least know I'm not getting bs'd on parts and labor when I go in. Hoping someone sees this who has also had this issue.... thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #11
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

6hours would be someone taking their time enjoying their lunchtime. Perhaps losing an intake manifold nut or two, breaking the charge pipe, and finding the top hose and smaller coolant hose swollen due to oil contamination too. Id expect all the stains to be degreased and a spotless engine and undertray too for 6hrs labour.

But seriously, a lot can go wrong not just for amateurs but even for professionals. Charge pipes break because the plastic has probably turned into something resembling rice crackers for durability at your car's age. That alone will multiply your parts cost by a lot.

But it's not a hard job. The hard part is minimising further costs and making sure that you have thoroughly examined the area for contamination.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #12
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What would you say is a more reasonable time?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #13
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
I've owned my 135i for 7 years now as the original owner, 3 years outside of warranty, and this same issue will be the first I have had to spend money on to date besides basic maintenance. I went in for a brake fluid flush yesterday, and the dealership said I need to repair a slowly seeping oil filter housing gasket leak and that on their scale of priority to fix it's yellow... Green meaning it's good, yellow-caution/monitor, red-needs to be fixed asap. I love my car and have done all maintenance, usually in advance and keep really good care inside, out, and by how I drive it... I will continue to be proactive instead of reactive and get this fixed asap... Thing is, it's outside of my capabilities... The dealership quoted me 6 hours labor with parts at about 1k total. I know dealerships are more expensive, but are the hours at least legit? I am going to try and find a mechanic outside of the dealership, but I want to at least know I'm not getting bs'd on parts and labor when I go in. Hoping someone sees this who has also had this issue.... thanks

Just make sure whoever does it understand that ANYTHING allowed into the oil gallery is likely FATAL to your motor.....

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359507

By the way the new motor has burned NO oil and feels more eager to rev. Maybe a lighter flywheel?

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Quote:

Just make sure whoever does it understand that ANYTHING allowed into the oil gallery is likely FATAL to your motor.....

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359507

By the way the new motor has burned NO oil and feels more eager to rev. Maybe a lighter flywheel?
I get that this can cause other issues if oil gets to places it shouldn't be, and I hate to sound annoying or stupid, but I don't really feel like I've gotten an answer... Does anyone have the recommended labor time for fixing this issue, that's all I need. I'm trying to avoid being lied to and falling for it when it comes to paying labor costs for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get that this can cause other issues if oil gets to places it shouldn't be, and I hate to sound annoying or stupid, but I don't really feel like I've gotten an answer... Does anyone have the recommended labor time for fixing this issue, that's all I need. I'm trying to avoid being lied to and falling for it when it comes to paying labor costs for this issue.
Dealer said 6.5 hours.

When I looked at doing it my plan was.

Pull fan (room to remove belt)
pull belt
pull air filter
pull intake
R&R housing gasket
R&R cooler gasket (Take .5 off if you don't have)

Replace everything you took off.

Dealer price was 825 with all parts.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #16
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Dealer said 6.5 hours.

When I looked at doing it my plan was.

Pull fan (room to remove belt)
pull belt
pull air filter
pull intake
R&R housing gasket
R&R cooler gasket (Take .5 off if you don't have)

Replace everything you took off.

Dealer price was 825 with all parts.
Yeah, I was quoted 6 hours labor at about $1k total after parts and labor, so it sounds like they aren't trying to bs me on time.... I just always worry. My SA said expect to pay $750, but prepare for the possibility of the worst case scenario of about $1k. Not sure I want to do this at the dealer. They usually charge way more for labor and significantly more for parts... They are more familiar with the vehicles though... I'm torn.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #17
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I was quoted 6 hours labor at about $1k total after parts and labor, so it sounds like they aren't trying to bs me on time.... I just always worry. My SA said expect to pay $750, but prepare for the possibility of the worst case scenario of about $1k. Not sure I want to do this at the dealer. They usually charge way more for labor and significantly more for parts... They are more familiar with the vehicles though... I'm torn.
I was hesitant but after they screwed it up and bought me a new(er) motor and installed it I am glad they stood behind their work and had the financial means to pay for the work.

I know not a great reason to chose the dealer....but stuff happens.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I was hesitant but after they screwed it up and bought me a new(er) motor and installed it I am glad they stood behind their work and had the financial means to pay for the work.

I know not a great reason to chose the dealer....but stuff happens.
Same reason I've always gotten my tires changed at bmw. They've messed up my wheels, like taken big chunks out of my rim on multiple wheels, but fixed it no charge, and they usually match tire prices or get it close... I know if a independent mechanic shop or tire place messed my wheels up they likely wouldn't stand by their mistake... Peace of mind thing I guess... I should probably just go to the dealership for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #19
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Call your SA and ask then how many FRUs does BMW allow for the job? I dont have KSD at home but i think 72 FRUs (1 FRU = 5min) is budgeting for a lot of cleaning and testing. You should be charged fairly for the actual job you are paying for. I usually wear the additional time taken to tidy up.

But then again, most dealer techs familiar with the job know that you dont have to fully remove the intake manifold. Just release and elevate it. And bleeding the cooling system.. I reckon they've stung you for each step of the process to inflate the labour cost. You do not need to drain, refill and bleed the cooling system unless the top hose is replaced. If you minimise the loss, you only need to top up less than a litre and run the electric bleed.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #20
dannypwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Vert

you should consider changing the oil filter housing gasket for the cooler side, at the same time.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #21
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Correction: ALWAYS replace both!
Appreciate 1