BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White e46 M3

135i Suspension Fix?

Okay so I am new to the 1er world, and had a question about suspension. The body roll on this car is pretty bad, which I really don't love, but can live with. Besides swapping to the M3 suspension, which some people do, is there a cheaper alternative? Will a good set of coilovers/springs help this problem? Basically what I am asking is what is the cheapest way to reduce body roll?
I really don't mod and have no experience, so sorry if any of these questions are dumb.
Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

A lot of guys first suspension upgrade is swapping in the M3 e9x front sway bar. I think it would(must) make the car understeer more... but a lot of guys like the way the car drives bc it has much less sway in the turns. Most go either with the e92(coupe) sway bar. But the e93 (vert) sway bar is stiffer and 0.5mm thicker from what I recall. '

My first mod to the suspension was replacing the run flats with Michelin PS3's (or PSS what you guys have in the states). I also went with 225's up front and 255's in the rear. That really make the car handle better. The only down side is you loose "some" initial turn in when going with normal tires vs RFT's.

I also ended up changing the rear axle bushings to M3 units. By far a GREAT mod, but kind of pricey. It really transforms the way the ENTIRE car handles and responds to inputs.

E93 Front Sway Bar Install & Pics (56k Death)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...28#post9197628

My new Michelin PS3’s 225’s & 255’s…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...chelin+PS3%27s

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post11189793
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you for the helpful information! I know google can help me here, but I would like to get a member's response...do coilovers help stiffen the ride, or is that only for lowering the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Is the body roll your only complaint with the performance of the suspension? Coilovers are likely going to be much more expensive than the M3 suspension parts. The only exception is the sub frame bushings, which are costly to install. However the bushings are one of the most praised suspension mods on this forum. That being said, the M3 control arms aren't really going to help with body roll.

A front sway bar will make one of the most drastic changes to body roll on the car. I have the E93 M3 bar, and I noticed a great improvement to the car in auto-x. I did feel that grip up front was improved, and also you feel you can drive faster because the car isn't leaning over so far. The front sway bar is also cheap and easy to install. So its a good first step. ***In normal world, stiffer front sway would typically increase understeer, although its been discussed that a stiffer front sway on the Macpherson front on the 135i will help reduce the body from rolling and thus the tire from rolling onto the sidewall. This is like putting positive front camber on the car!

New shocks and springs (whether coilovers or just a spring/shock combo) will also help firm up the ride. This will keep things much more planted, and make a more significant change to the driving characteristics of the car. This will definitely help with the roll, but is a more expensive (although more significant) mod. Like Dack suggests, new tires will also make a major change to the car.

Tim
      10-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nick View Post
Okay so I am new to the 1er world, and had a question about suspension. The body roll on this car is pretty bad, which I really don't love, but can live with. Besides swapping to the M3 suspension, which some people do, is there a cheaper alternative? Will a good set of coilovers/springs help this problem? Basically what I am asking is what is the cheapest way to reduce body roll?
I really don't mod and have no experience, so sorry if any of these questions are dumb.
Thanks for the help
What year is your One and does it have the M Sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
What year is your One and does it have the M Sport suspension?
2010 with the M Sport suspension. It really isn't terrible, but I like my cars to have a pretty firm ride.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

If it's body roll you want to tame then just slap on an E9x M3 front sway bar. They're cheap and easy to install.

If it's enough, whoopee. If it's not, then it's onto either some stiffer springs or going for a set of springs/dampers or coilovers.

If that's still not enough, then start to add in some other E9x M3 parts such as the front arms, rear subframe bushings, rear arms etc
      10-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I also swapped the front sway bar to the E93 M3 about 3 months ago.
The front is much flatter in cornering, and in Auto-X I can tell a difference in front tire wear. Presently in SCCA you can swap one bar and stay stock, I chose the front.
The rear is also more settled in quick lane changes under acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I hated that body roll feeling too.. put some coilovers and the E93 front sway bar in and the car feels much more like a gokart now, on the streets at least.. not sure how it would do on a track
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks everyone for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonnn View Post
I hated that body roll feeling too.. put some coilovers and the E93 front sway bar in and the car feels much more like a gokart now, on the streets at least.. not sure how it would do on a track
On the track two
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
A lot of guys first suspension upgrade is swapping in the M3 e9x front sway bar. I think it would(must) make the car understeer more... but a lot of guys like the way the car drives bc it has much less sway in the turns. Most go either with the e92(coupe) sway bar. But the e93 (vert) sway bar is stiffer and 0.5mm thicker from what I recall. '

My first mod to the suspension was replacing the run flats with Michelin PS3's (or PSS what you guys have in the states). I also went with 225's up front and 255's in the rear. That really make the car handle better. The only down side is you loose "some" initial turn in when going with normal tires vs RFT's.

I also ended up changing the rear axle bushings to M3 units. By far a GREAT mod, but kind of pricey. It really transforms the way the ENTIRE car handles and responds to inputs.

E93 Front Sway Bar Install & Pics (56k Death)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...28#post9197628

My new Michelin PS3’s 225’s & 255’s…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...chelin+PS3%27s

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post11189793
I thought you had PSS this whole time .
      10-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I installed the BMW perf suspension. Includes bigger sways and shorter springs. Easy to do and really worked well. After that replaces bushings and control arms with M3 bits. Especially the rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

I went the m3 bits along with Konis yellows with swift springs cars just so much more pleasant. I'd say start with the front sway bar and go from there.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
I went the m3 bits along with Konis yellows with swift springs cars just so much more pleasant. I'd say start with the front sway bar and go from there.
I did the same. Also add Dinan camber plates with the above will get you -2.5 camber up front. M3 front swaybar is a must I would say. Just do your upgrade in stages. Most if it is DIY stuff. Great on the street and an excellent track performer.
Appreciate 0