BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
batman913
My Garage is only for Manual Transmissions or EV's
Rep
Drives: Boxster GTS 4.0, Tesla M3P

Importing BMWs Much Cheaper Now?????

Used BMW’s in the US are often far cheaper than here. I’ve read on this forum and others about the ridiculous fees and cluster changes that add up to big bucks. But doing a little more research I came across this site that claims that recent changes have made it much cheaper: http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm

Here’s a quote from the site:
“As of July 9, 2008 BMW and Mercedes very quietly dropped requirements that made importers pay for and procure admissibility letters from these manufacturers at a cost of $350 per letter. Furthermore, the manufacturers have also indicated to the RIV that recall and final compliance letters do not need to come from the Canadian head office of these manufacturers at a cost of $500 per letter. It seems that the Canadian government or perhaps some litigators finally forced these manufacturers to drop the requirements and allow for federally regulated compliance inspectors at Canadian Tire to review the cars, as has always been the requirement in the past. This means that we can install km/h speedometers and day time running lights at whatever cost and supplier we so choose.”

I recently found a very slightly used 135i in the states that would be at least $10 grand less than a comparable new one in Canada even after adding the duty, shipping, and miscellaneous fees. With these eased restrictions it may become a good time to buy from the states again:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

excellent
thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

but with the price increases for MY2009, it may not be such a good deal to import.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^^

They're not increasing the price by $10 000+
are they?

on another note, i wish I had this info sooner but just how much of a difference is this going to make? I mean the largest chunck of saving would be cut into by the tax and duties.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

rumors say 5%, so add the 6% importation and it makes up most of the difference

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman913 View Post
Used BMW’s in the US are often far cheaper than here. I’ve read on this forum and others about the ridiculous fees and cluster changes that add up to big bucks. But doing a little more research I came across this site that claims that recent changes have made it much cheaper: http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm

Here’s a quote from the site:
“As of July 9, 2008 BMW and Mercedes very quietly dropped requirements that made importers pay for and procure admissibility letters from these manufacturers at a cost of $350 per letter. Furthermore, the manufacturers have also indicated to the RIV that recall and final compliance letters do not need to come from the Canadian head office of these manufacturers at a cost of $500 per letter. It seems that the Canadian government or perhaps some litigators finally forced these manufacturers to drop the requirements and allow for federally regulated compliance inspectors at Canadian Tire to review the cars, as has always been the requirement in the past. This means that we can install km/h speedometers and day time running lights at whatever cost and supplier we so choose.”

I recently found a very slightly used 135i in the states that would be at least $10 grand less than a comparable new one in Canada even after adding the duty, shipping, and miscellaneous fees. With these eased restrictions it may become a good time to buy from the states again:thumbup:
I checked out the willz.ca site you mentioned and priced out my 128i Cabrio with all fees and taxes (PST, GST) on the Cdn BMW website and then put that into their U.S. import cost calculator and I could have saved $500 by importing my 1er poptop from the U.S. (according to willz.ca)
Doesn't sound like a good way to go from my perspective.
I'd also be a tad suspicious about getting a gently used 135i from the States at $10k below what one would cost here.
Why is it going so cheap?? Why did someone get rid of it so soon??
Was there flood damage? Has it been in an accident. Is it a lemon?:iono:
These cars are not going for huge discounts and if you're getting something which sounds to good to be true, then - well you know the rest...
      08-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

I only use the 10k number because that was around the price difference between a new US 1 and a new CND1 wasn't it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
I considered buying from the US when I bought my Boxster.

US sticker would've been around $57,000

CND Sticker was $75,000.

Giving a $18,000 saving.

However, I found a US car through a local BC dealer who had a Porsche USA lease return. Otherwise I most certainly would've tried to import one myself.

With a 1-Series, however, the savings would be nowhere near as big, therefore making it less worthwhile to import.

Would the cost savings be enough to overcome the decrease in value when you come to sell the car in a few years down the line?

Bare in mind that, in BC at least, even an out of province car is worth a few $k's less than a local car. With an imported car it'll be worth even less.

What happens if, like me, you need to lease the vehicle rather than pay in cash? Would you get a lease company to match BMW finance rates?

I had a quick phone around last week & the current rate seems to be around 8.5% compared to BMW's 6.9%.

I thought about going the US route for a 128i Coupe but with the discounts I've been offered so far, I'm going to be sticking with my local dealer.

It'll be much less hassle & wont cost me a whole bunch more.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

All I have to say is GO FOR IT. But please let us all know. If you luck in, I bet the hole will be plugged... if yer a gamblin man/woman roll the dice (not the car) and hopefully you save some loonies.

As for us, we have the last few months of sheer driving pleasure, so it was not a mistake to not wait. For those who dare, I would love to read. After all if this lasts, time flies, and I would love to trade in for a better 1 in 2010 or 2011.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
ridsama
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135i M

I priced out my car on BMW.com to $40504 USD, and that page spits out this number $53653.13 CAD :bs: That's more than what I paid!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

makes perfect sense to buy from local if the saving is a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
I considered buying from the US when I bought my Boxster.

US sticker would've been around $57,000

CND Sticker was $75,000.

Giving a $18,000 saving.

However, I found a US car through a local BC dealer who had a Porsche USA lease return. Otherwise I most certainly would've tried to import one myself.

With a 1-Series, however, the savings would be nowhere near as big, therefore making it less worthwhile to import.

Would the cost savings be enough to overcome the decrease in value when you come to sell the car in a few years down the line?

Bare in mind that, in BC at least, even an out of province car is worth a few $k's less than a local car. With an imported car it'll be worth even less.

What happens if, like me, you need to lease the vehicle rather than pay in cash? Would you get a lease company to match BMW finance rates?

I had a quick phone around last week & the current rate seems to be around 8.5% compared to BMW's 6.9%.

I thought about going the US route for a 128i Coupe but with the discounts I've been offered so far, I'm going to be sticking with my local dealer.

It'll be much less hassle & wont cost me a whole bunch more.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
Purgatory
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 5.0

I just moved back from Houston, TX and brought back my daily driver (2005 BMW 330Ci), and it has been a constant headache ever since.

I had to pay the $500 for the BMW recall letter, so if that is removed that's a nice addition.

I had to pay $550 at BMW Calgary to re-program my dash (miles-km), they said I had to. This also included the daytime running lights switch disabled... (so I can't turn off day-time running lights).

No warranty.

Brutal resale value.

I probably saved about $7000 on the sticker price vs cdn, when I purchased, but when you add in 5% GST + 6.25% in duties, that wears it down pretty quick. Finally, if you bring it into a province that has PST don't you have to pay that as well... (correct me if I'm wrong).

I guess I'm saying... it is more of a hassle than a person might think.

Needless to say, I ordered a new one from Calgary BMW, and although the wait sucks, I am happy with my decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
looking
Captain
Rep

from what I've been seeing - I think you're saving about 3-5k (more for some cars) but you have to go through a lot - I guess it's going to be up to the person as to whether they think the headache is worth saving 3-5k. I mean if BMW has gotten rid of the recall letter - that's only 500 saving, not really significant is it?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Canadian dollar parity party is done now, gonna go back down into the 80's cents range in near future. Get the buying done while it is high.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I doubt it's going to the 80's in the near future. Maybe 92.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

1er? Not so much. Used M3/M5 combos? Still LOTSA savings buying down there. Have you spec'd a used Viper lately? Massive differences
      08-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

things may change a little at this point and I need some of you to help me.
Seems like I can't find my car here locally,
AW/taupe, cashmer trim 128i coupe premium, auto, backup sensors, USB options.

My elder female cousin is moving back to LA from NY.
she can buy me a used or new 128i from US then import.

Will it be worth while to do it?

I need to know:

has anyone sucessfully imported an used car from US before?

how much paper work need to be done?

do I need to pay tax duties if its a gift from a family member?

insurance issues?

ownership transfer?

warranty issues?

I am aware I have to do some retrofit such as day time running lights etc

do I need to change the odometer to METRIC?

if its not hard to do, I will fly to LA and drive the car back.

thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #18
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

^^^^ Here's a website where you may get answers and/or help to import a vehicle from the USA:
http://www.ucanimport.com/