BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Random CEL and Limp Mode! Stock 135i

This morning on my commute to work I went WOT on a bumpy stretch of road. Midway through 3rd gear I let off and a second later hear *gong* and see the dreaded check engine light on my OBC screen for the first time ever. I then noticed I also have major power loss and no boost at all.. so limp mode. Car idles and revs fine other than the lack of power/boost so I continued to the office. Parked and open the hood, didn't see any loose couplers (car is 100% stock BTW). Pull the code CC-ID 29, which seems to be a generic code from my research today but from what I had read I was figuring the cause was the HPFP (which is still the original) or VANOs sensors.

My car is under CPO warranty so I wasn't too worried, other than being able to get home. So later when I turn on my car to go home.. it turns on fine and *bam* the CEL is gone and so is limp mode, drove home the entire way with no problems and even got on it around my area to make the symptoms return but nothing did.

So this is strange, I actually really wanted to set up a appointment with the SA to take the car in since I have not once since I bought it...but now the error is gone...should I still make an appointment? My CPO warranty ends in July so I'm a little anxious and really worried this will come back..whatever it is/was. Thanks!
      02-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Take it in! $50 is cheap insurance.
      02-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Just got home from work, car turned on and ran fine today, no long cranks or anything and even got on it whenever I could...no CEL or Limp Mode. So strange, only thing I could say is the car kind of feels a little rougher under load but that could be a placebo effect of me trying to find something still wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1er View Post
Take it in! $50 is cheap insurance.
Yep even though the errors are gone I called up the dealer and made an appointment with a service adviser for this Saturday. Hopefully I wont have to pay the inspection fee cause along with the errors that happened yesterday I also have a consistent bulb error and my third brake light is starting to crack. Hopefully can kill 3 birds with one stone, this will be my first service appointment so lets see how it goes.
      02-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
This same thing happened to me prior to my HP Fuel pump going out on me. Then a week later the electric water pump went out on me....FML!! I took it back to the dealership and they determined in was the intercooler boot that had come dislodged from the turbos? It was fine for about 2 weeks then it happened again? Its been 3 weeks and it's occurred 3 times. I just haven't had the time to take the car back in to have it checked out. I can't afford another repair right now anyways.....I just stop the car turn it off and restart it and it seems to clear everything and drives normally until the next time it happens.....
      02-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
twinboost_MD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

i feel like this is probably your coil packs. have the dealer check for oil on your sparks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
TUN3D
Major
Rep
Drives: none

BigRussia > Can't tell you how many times I've experienced the 30FF/no boost scenario. It's happened to me out of the blue -- just like you. And just like you, after I restart the car...it goes away. I've blown up/blown off my CP & FMIC couplings as well.

If it's something like a FMIC coupling or charge-pipe coming off, it won't draw a cell. Car just won't boost, but you can still drive it. In fact, I've purposely driven without a FMIC and nothing -- no cell.

Assuming you have a JB4, run a log and see if your car is boosting/holding boost properly. If it is, then I'm almost 100% sure you simply ran lean. More times than not, the 30FF/boost dump is triggered by this condition.
      02-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
TUN3D
Major
Rep

A faulty water pump or thermostat, from my experience, won't trigger the 30FF. If that goes bad, the car overheats and goes into limp mode -- but no half engine cell (at least that was my experience).
      03-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

I had got the Half Engine CEL along with the Limp mode and my car is completely bone stock, no tune or anything. I'm actually taking my car into service tomorrow but when I spoke to the Service Advisor on Saturday he said I need to tell him what symptoms the car has, not just that it had a CEL or Limp mode one time...kind of irks me they cant just look up the CEL logged in the ECU or something. Clearly something is up with my bone stock car if its throwing a CEL and going into Limp mode, but yeah after a restart the car drives perfectly fine again! So I just told him the car is hesitating and the acceleration feels rough and not as smooth

So since I'm taking the car in tomorrow, I decided today to drive around and see if I can get the CEL to trigger again. After 40 mins of aggressive driving it finally came back just as I was getting to my house. Half engine CEL and Limp Mode, but this time with CC-ID 36 now instead of 29. Happened as I was coasting from top of 2nd gear around 6k RPMs down to about 3k for a turn into my neighborhood. Definitely will mention this to the Advisor tomorrow when I drop off the car!
      03-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D View Post
BigRussia > Can't tell you how many times I've experienced the 30FF/no boost scenario. It's happened to me out of the blue -- just like you. And just like you, after I restart the car...it goes away. I've blown up/blown off my CP & FMIC couplings as well.

If it's something like a FMIC coupling or charge-pipe coming off, it won't draw a cell. Car just won't boost, but you can still drive it. In fact, I've purposely driven without a FMIC and nothing -- no cell.

Assuming you have a JB4, run a log and see if your car is boosting/holding boost properly. If it is, then I'm almost 100% sure you simply ran lean. More times than not, the 30FF/boost dump is triggered by this condition.
Sounds like a detonation.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
TUN3D
Major
Rep

BigRussia > At the very least, try to get this:
http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

My bad on the "running lean" assumption. I totally blew by the "100% stock" mention. For some reason, I swore your car had mods. Anyways, you're right in terms of the vanos triggering limp mode. I've experienced that just during normal cruising.

Ccid's are good, but full codes really help zero in on the issue. Even though the dealer will pull the codes, doing it yourself helps you guide them to a certain degree. They won't sit around and drive your car to see what errors/codes come back. You'll definitely benefit from this tool.

Let us know what happens.
      03-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Ok guys took my car in for service this Monday and picked it up last night. Thankfully the dealer found what was causing the CEL and Limp Mode, it was the VANOS solenoids! Kinda caught me by surprise since I wasn't aware they were such a common problem on the N54. So they changed both solenoids and even did an oil change

I haven't noticed an increase in power or response from the engine but my car pulled hard and felt strong even before the service. But this morning after the cold start I think I noticed the car was a bit smoother driving while still cold and not warmed up. Before the service when I would first drive off from a cold start I almost felt like a cylinder was missing since the car seemed kind of rough until it started warming up.

Last edited by BigRussia; 03-05-2015 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0