BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #23
KA SHING
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
Do you quality for the injector recall?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=469056&page=4
I'm going to the dealer today, let me ask them
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
AnShk
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
If you think just running the engine at 4500+ RPMs for any length of time will clean the carbon build up then you obviously have never pulled the intake to see first hand what you are dealing with. Not even a chance ... please stop posting things like that, it just perpetuates misinformation.
You better keep quite yourself or provide valuable arguments and not like you did not see the dirt. I saw it on the pictures.
Well, if you are not happy, than
I would not say what I think, I would say what I know.

Running engine hot will clean intake if the temperature will be enough to desorb carbonates. Theoretically things should work if conditions are OK. I mean temperature, pressure and time.
Do you know intake temperature during operation, do you know the pressure?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #25
AnShk
Private
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA SHING View Post
I'm going to the dealer today, let me ask them
You can check yourself by VIN at BMW NA website.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #26
A_Squared
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnShk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
If you think just running the engine at 4500+ RPMs for any length of time will clean the carbon build up then you obviously have never pulled the intake to see first hand what you are dealing with. Not even a chance ... please stop posting things like that, it just perpetuates misinformation.
You better keep quite yourself or provide valuable arguments and not like you did not see the dirt. I saw it on the pictures.
Well, if you are not happy, than
I would not say what I think, I would say what I know.

Running engine hot will clean intake if the temperature will be enough to desorb carbonates. Theoretically things should work if conditions are OK. I mean temperature, pressure and time.
Do you know intake temperature during operation, do you know the pressure?
Do you happen to have proof that this theory works? There are a bunch of threads about walnut blasting and the results it yields, where are some before and after pictures of this method? I'd honestly like to see the comparison pictures. Here's the way I look at it. Even when I walnut blast a car, the blasting alone does not clean the valves by itself. I still have to scrape at the build up with angled and curved picks to get all around the valve. So I can't seem to understand how the cause of this problem could, even minimally, make the same problem it causes any better. Again, if you could share those pics it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #27
Acheron83
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Squared View Post
Do you happen to have proof that this theory works? There are a bunch of threads about walnut blasting and the results it yields, where are some before and after pictures of this method? I'd honestly like to see the comparison pictures. Here's the way I look at it. Even when I walnut blast a car, the blasting alone does not clean the valves by itself. I still have to scrape at the build up with angled and curved picks to get all around the valve. So I can't seem to understand how the cause of this problem could, even minimally, make the same problem it causes any better. Again, if you could share those pics it would be appreciated.
He has no proof because he's talking out of his ass.

Carbon deposits, i.e. enough to become problematic, are inevitable on the N54 as with so many other direct injection engines (e.g. the VW/Audi 2.0TFSI/TSI) and no amount of driving adjustment or procedure, other than say a walnut shell blasting, is going to temporarily fix the problem. Not this "burn off temp" lunacy, not running meth and not using additives like Seafoam.

Your best bet at delaying the inevitable is to run decent fuel and add a catch can/revise the PCV system.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #28
A_Squared
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

Not even a catch can will help the problem.
Appreciate 1