BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2019, 12:03 AM   #11749
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

You'd think (given my mod list) RSFB would've been one of the first things I'd do on my car... but being a vert, I didn't find it's handling to be holding me back. When it was FBO (especially running Ethanol mix) I was very limited by my skills - any slight input of the throttle would result in wheelspin... Prior to installing the LSD, one wheel would spin and it was useless. After installing the LSD, both wheels would spin with the same torque, thus keeping the back end roughly in line.

But, I made a couple of changes recently which made the whole car more manageable and have finally learnt how to drive it near the limit - with a little wheel spin, not a light-switch like transition from full traction to no traction.

Putting much bigger turbos in it (TD04/16T's - somewhere between RB NextGen and NextGen Plus) has made it much more manageable. I've got far less instant power while the turbos spool up, then far more at the top of the range. Because it's a lot slower, through practice I've now actually been able to _drive_ it around corners and modulate my input to drift it in a controlled way.

But after doing the 1M DSC settings, I've been back on struggle street ... basically I found the back end to be too loose, and I'd lose confidence before DTC intervened. In a straight line in the wet, the car was 'squirrilly' - a lot like how it was before the LSD - it was a real challenge to keep it straight and just felt unstable. Also, I'd struggle to get the power down even at 1/4 throttle.

Through corners, I never really noticed it being particularly vague or unsettled... but I did find it very hard to know when the back tires were going to let go - it was kind of an act of pushing it beyond the limit then managing it when it started to let go.

The tl;dr version was that I refrained from fixing the rear subframe bushes in my car until I was at a level of confidence and competence that I could say 'the rear end of this car is really loose, and not in a good way'.

So, I did the inserts yesterday, and took it out for a spirited drive around roundabouts today.

... and the difference is night and day.

NVH is increased. It feels like the back tires were running at 28psi yesterday and 42psi today. It's not bad NVH, it's not crashy or noisy or constant vibration, but you do feel noticeably closer to the road.

Everybody explains the RSFB bushing as "being more planted" - which I'd agree with, but I struggled to visualize that prior to doing the change. What I'd add to everyone else's description is something really obvious: The back of the car now reliably follows the front.

Again, it's a bit hard to put your finger on unless it's really bad, or unless you just fixed it; but with soft RSF Bushes, you're making a lot of minor steering inputs in corners or under acceleration at the limit of traction to account for the fact that the back wheels are steering the car. That's now gone.

Finally, One of the really big reasons I finally did the RSFB inserts was because I thought the subframe movement was allowing the tires to lift or slip under acceleration without carrying the full weight of the car (the amount of friction you get on a tire depends a lot on the downward force acting on it)... I was hoping RSFB inserts would hold the tires on the road and give me more boost/hp in second gear before they start spinning.

... and I was right. In a straight line, I've got a lot more pedal travel (and a lot more power/forward momentum) available before those tires loose grip.

The only downside is I'm beginning to drive at the power limit of these turbos (due to the 3 second spool-up time) on the street... I'm not there yet, but another six months of practice and I might be.

So, if you're looking at aftermarket turbos, I probably wouldn't recommend anything bigger than Pure Stage 2 for street use... these turbos really only come into their own in 3rd gear... which is 'loss of license' territory for most of us.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #11750
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

So, I did the inserts yesterday, and took it out for a spirited drive around roundabouts today.

Just wait until you switch from Inserts to actual RSFB replacements, even the two piece Whiteline like I have made a huge difference compared to stock-Vs-inserts
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      05-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #11751
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Quote:

Just wait until you switch from Inserts to actual RSFB replacements, even the two piece Whiteline like I have made a huge difference compared to stock-Vs-inserts
Not very happy with the Whiteline inserts myself but maybe I was expecting too much. Looking forward to doing something more, like maybe the Whiteline 2-piece or M3 bushings.
      05-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #11752
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not very happy with the Whiteline inserts myself but maybe I was expecting too much. Looking forward to doing something more, like maybe the Whiteline 2-piece or M3 bushings.
I'll tell you right now, my vote is always on the white line two piece for a DD/ fun weekend car.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43763.00
xQx902.50
      05-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #11753
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I did the full M3 rear subframe bushings (a pretty penny), and I honestly barely could tell the difference. It definitely helped, but it wasn't as dramatic as I was expecting

Also, decided to make the drive out to Malibu to go through Mulholland Canyon road this morning (about 80 miles one way). Unfortunately, all the best roads were closed down for construction, boooooooo. Oh well. Did get a little bit of canyon carving in and was happy with how my refreshed suspension did
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      05-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #11754
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Also, decided to make the drive out to Malibu to go through Mulholland Canyon road this morning (about 80 miles one way). Unfortunately, all the best roads were closed down for construction, boooooooo. Oh well. Did get a little bit of canyon carving in and was happy with how my refreshed suspension did
You may not know all the best roads out there, or maybe they truly are all closed now (I moved away about 2 months ago).

Best Roads in my opinion are Piuma, Stunt, Latigo, the west wide of Mulholland (from the campgrounds at PCH up to the fork with Decker),Decker and Schueren, not in that particular order.

Saddle Peak and the downhill on Tuna could be entertaining (mind the brakes).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #11755
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
I did the full M3 rear subframe bushings (a pretty penny), and I honestly barely could tell the difference. It definitely helped, but it wasn't as dramatic as I was expecting
Kind of happy to hear that as I keep thinking about doing the full bushings but am being cheap. Like xQx noted above, I felt an improvement from the inserts. I think some people notice certain things more and maybe for some their stock bushings are very wore.

I'm always a little surprised that some advise people just getting into suspension mods to do RSFB's before anything else. With the not so good ride and handling with even sport dampers, I'd always start there - especially since it is a relatively cheap and easy diy.
      05-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #11756
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Kind of happy to hear that as I keep thinking about doing the full bushings but am being cheap. Like xQx noted above, I felt an improvement from the inserts. I think some people notice certain things more and maybe for some their stock bushings are very wore.

I'm always a little surprised that some advise people just getting into suspension mods to do RSFB's before anything else. With the not so good ride and handling with even sport dampers, I'd always start there - especially since it is a relatively cheap and easy diy.
You may agree with this, and maybe you were thinking strictly suspensions components, but first mod for handling and suspension should be better tires than OE.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #11757
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You may agree with this, and maybe you were thinking strictly suspensions components, but first mod for handling and suspension should be better tires than OE.
Agree. I was thinking suspension mods.
      05-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #11758
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Got the fronts on. Car doesn't sit as low when airred out but that's okay. It'll work out perfectly with the front lip
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Fakemike368.50
Matticus913474.50
      05-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #11759
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Paint it!
      05-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #11760
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I've got some OEM M3 RSFB's in the shed that I got from someone long ago, but I've shied away from doing the job properly because of the cost or labour in doing them. One day I might end up biting the bullet and either selling them then buying whiteline 2-piece inserts that I can DIY, or paying the ludicrous install fee. That said, M3 control arms, rear tie rods and new shocks are higher on the list.

Quote:
I've heard the inserts degrade over time, and was initially fearful they'd be a lot of work for no real benefit - which is why I waited so long to do them. I think my experience was actually accentuated because I'd waited and done everything else, so they were a significant weak link in the whole system. If I'd done them before the turbos and LSD, I doubt I would've noticed much of the difference.

Quote:
Guilty as charged I did the LSD before anything else (even before good tires), because I always took the approach 'if I run out of money tomorrow, what's the single most important discretionary upgrade I'd like to have installed.' Tires, Brakes and Shocks can all be done when OEM wears out. RSFB were important, but nowhere near the difference a LSD makes (yes, they're the fraction of the price of a LSD... but M3 RSFB+Install is $1k+ which is a non-trivial cost).
Appreciate 1
gjm1202183.00
      05-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #11761
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Quote:
I've got some OEM M3 RSFB's in the shed that I got from someone long ago, but I've shied away from doing the job properly because of the cost or labour in doing them. One day I might end up biting the bullet and either selling them then buying whiteline 2-piece inserts that I can DIY, or paying the ludicrous install fee. That said, M3 control arms, rear tie rods and new shocks are higher on the list.

Quote:
I've heard the inserts degrade over time, and was initially fearful they'd be a lot of work for no real benefit - which is why I waited so long to do them. I think my experience was actually accentuated because I'd waited and done everything else, so they were a significant weak link in the whole system. If I'd done them before the turbos and LSD, I doubt I would've noticed much of the difference.

Quote:
Guilty as charged I did the LSD before anything else (even before good tires), because I always took the approach 'if I run out of money tomorrow, what's the single most important discretionary upgrade I'd like to have installed.' Tires, Brakes and Shocks can all be done when OEM wears out. RSFB were important, but nowhere near the difference a LSD makes (yes, they're the fraction of the price of a LSD... but M3 RSFB+Install is $1k+ which is a non-trivial cost).
Makes me feel a tiny bit better for getting charged $600 for install lol. Are M3 rear control arms really that big of an improvement?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #11762
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Makes me feel a tiny bit better for getting charged $600 for install lol. Are M3 rear control arms really that big of an improvement?
Have a read at the thread by fe1rx in the suspension stickies. It is the ultimate reference for the subject. I did the guide rods and think I felt an improvement. I say think b/c did it at the same time as the Whiteline inserts so hard to tell which of the 2 did the most. You can find the guide rods at a decent price and it's a not too difficult diy.
      05-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #11763
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I was talking about Front M3 control arms, not rear.

Rear guide rods... I'm actually not sure what's reality and what's just marketing, but they're supposed to improve traction and handling by keeping the wheels on the ground and straight under heavy loads.

HP Autosport commercial advertisement on this forum
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #11764
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
With the most recent changes I made, I did the inserts by themselves, and really didn't notice much. Soon after, I changed tires from Michelin PSS to the PS4S. Then after that I added Bilstein B8 struts and shocks.

I purposely did the inserts without any other suspension changes so I could determine what kind of a difference they would make. As I said, not much for me but I believe it's subjective, plus probably depends on the condition of your bushings. I had approx 40K miles on mine at the time.

Last edited by Esteban; 05-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: correcting Bilstein B6 to B8
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:40 AM   #11765
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Quote:
With the most recent changes I made, I did the inserts by themselves, and really didn't notice much. Soon after, I changed tires from Michelin PSS to the PS4S. Then after that I added Bilstein B6 struts and shocks.

I purposely did the inserts without any other suspension changes so I could determine what kind of a difference they would make. As I said, not much for me but I believe it's subjective, plus probably depends on the condition of your bushings. I had approx 40K miles on mine at the time.
What are your thoughts on the Bilstein’s?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #11766
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
What are your thoughts on the Bilstein's?
Very happy with them. Firm handling but very comfortable compression and rebound dampening. The ride is actually better when going fast over rough roads than when going slow. I recommend the B8s and would probably get them again.

Last edited by Esteban; 05-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: correcting Bilstein B6s to B8s.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #11767
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Quote:
Very happy with them. Firm handling but very comfortable compression and rebound dampening. The ride is actually better when going fast over rough roads than when going slow. I recommend the B6s and would probably get them again.
That’s good to hear. And what kind of springs did you pair the Bilsteins with?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:07 AM   #11768
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Quote:
Very happy with them. Firm handling but very comfortable compression and rebound dampening. The ride is actually better when going fast over rough roads than when going slow. I recommend the B6s and would probably get them again.
That’s good to hear. And what kind of springs did you pair the Bilsteins with?
BMW Performance springs.
      05-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #11769
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Paint it!
I may paint it next year. This year it will be wrapped as I can't 100% commit to painting it Signal Green. Right now, the two colors I'd consider painting next year are Daytona Violet and San Marino Blue. We'll see
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #11770
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
I may paint it next year. This year it will be wrapped as I can't 100% commit to painting it Signal Green. Right now, the two colors I'd consider painting next year are Daytona Violet and San Marino Blue. We'll see
My vote between those two would be the San Marino Blue, but check out Santorini Blue as well.
Appreciate 1