BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #287
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I like the Boston car if it's had all the maintenance issues addressed and doesn't have scaly rust underneath. That's a fair price if it's already had ALL the seals replaced along with water pump and some hoses. If it's never had ANY of that done, it's living on borrowed time and is absurdly overpriced.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #288
odiford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I like the Boston car if it's had all the maintenance issues addressed and doesn't have scaly rust underneath. That's a fair price if it's already had ALL the seals replaced along with water pump and some hoses. If it's never had ANY of that done, it's living on borrowed time and is absurdly overpriced.
Completely agree.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #289
jcrane82
Trust me....I'm an engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35i, lots of bikes

Quote:
That's a fair price if it's already had ALL the seals replaced along with water pump and some hoses. If it's never had ANY of that done, it's living on borrowed time and is absurdly overpriced.
Everyone is always so worried about the waterpump. I have owned two N52 cars with OEM waterpumps north of 150k miles, and the sky did not fall. Are there waterpump failures that happen?.....of course there are, but I don't think it happens as often as everyone on the internet makes you believe.

My bigger issue with that Boston car would be where it has lived its life.
Appreciate 1
Ric in RVA1468.50
      01-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #290
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

It's the same with every car, IMS bearing issue with pcar or vanos in 2000s bmws. Like 1-6% of cars are affected by something then everyone acts like every car will experience the issue. Forums contain a concentration of afflicted owners which grows the perception.
      01-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #291
odiford
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
Everyone is always so worried about the waterpump. I have owned two N52 cars with OEM waterpumps north of 150k miles, and the sky did not fall. Are there waterpump failures that happen?.....of course there are, but I don't think it happens as often as everyone on the internet makes you believe.

Important point, and also brings into conversation the impact one's willingness to wrench has on their shopping. I.E. I prioritized spec over milage since the sort of maintenance that comes with a 100k+ car doesn't bug me. But if I was going to the dealer for all my gasket changes etc then I'd want a car that puts me there less often.

Side note - I just changed the waterpump on my dad's x5 this past weekend. Toughest part was dealing with all the mangled, 300k-mile clips and plastics
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #292
jcrane82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiford View Post
Side note - I just changed the waterpump on my dad's x5 this past weekend. Toughest part was dealing with all the mangled, 300k-mile clips and plastics
Curious how many waterpumps that X5 went through in 300k miles. Care to share?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #293
odiford
Private
Rep

Quote:
Curious how many waterpumps that X5 went through in 300k miles. Care to share?
Two. Both lasted about 150k. They were belt-driven on the M54 which was a little harder on the bearings, so not a perfect analog to our cars. Made plenty of noise when it went out, but didn't stop him from driving it for another week before replacing it. That car deserves a medal for everything it's been put through.

Getting slightly back on topic, I expect my N52 to be equally tough and look forward to pushing it into the 200s.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:36 PM   #294
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's more the fact that it can go without any warning and leave you stranded. That's not a big deal if I'm commuting to work, but if it lets go while I'm out on a country drive, the towing charge will literally cost more than a new pump and thermostat. I'm sure that 95% of N51/N52 pumps could last 100k miles, but after that, I'd start to worry about the stranding factor. If I bought a car with 122k miles and it hasn't been replaced, I'm replacing it ASAP.

Quote:
Yep. If it was stored away for winter, no problem, but I'd want to see some video and high-res pictures of the undercarriage.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #295
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere there are around 45 6MT Alpinweiss M-sports in the US... I don't think their price is likely to fall.
Not sure where that number comes from, but I own one of them.

Again, this car has the later iDrive. I was at the launch of the original v1 iDrive at the Frankfurt auto show and no one hated it more than me. But this (and my '13) have the later version which is easy to use, and adds flexibility to the driver's use of the media systems. It also includes a 12GB "music collection" hard-drive and the ability to access an iPod using a similar style interface. I don't find it a liability even if I don't count the hard-drive-based Nav system. The iDrive on my wife's '08 E82 does not earn the same respect.

Likewise power seats. I like to adjust my seats in micro steps depending on which shoes I'm wearing that day—really! The memory position is nice, especially if others will drive your car. Much easier to adjust the electric seats for relieving pressure on long trips than it is on the manual control seats, in my opinion.

My biggest problem with this car under discussion in Boston (other than the miles and climate) is the lack of leather interior. That's just one of my pet peeves which comes from over 40-years of selling BMWs and 50-years of BMW ownership. Might still be worth looking at if the price was lower, but I'd be trying hard to source a new interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:56 PM   #296
odiford
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Not sure where that number comes from, but I own one of them.
Somewhere on here there is a production number spreadsheet floating around... should have saved it when I originally found it.

Cool to have (at least) two of them in VA, btw. Although I have had to come to terms with our lovely "anything over 80 is reckless driving" law which wasn't a problem in my 240d which topped out around 70mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:31 AM   #297
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Although I have had to come to terms with our lovely "anything over 80 is reckless driving" law which wasn't a problem in my 240d which topped out around 70mph.
This is completely off-topic, but has anyone ever been able to explain why VA traffic laws are so strict? I hated driving through VA as far back as the early 90s and it's only gotten worse since then. We've got plenty of problems in Texas, but speed enforcement ain't one of them. When I first moved to Texas they were actually implementing a speeding coupon program. Basically you bought a speeding coupon ahead of time and if you got pulled over, you could pay the ticket with a coupon on the spot and no points would go on your record.

I was driving out in West Texas a long time ago cruising around 110 mph. A 5.0 Mustang pulled up on my ass and turned on its lights. The trooper first explained that he originally clocked me at 107, but thought that was wrong so he clocked me again and got 97 because I must have slowed down. He first explained that yes it's an empty stretch of road and yes, he likes to go fast too, but that I was lucky he clocked me a second time. I think that was a $250 ticket, which I was mad about at the time, but at least I didn't get hit with reckless driving.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 01-16-2021 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #298
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Although I have had to come to terms with our lovely "anything over 80 is reckless driving" law which wasn't a problem in my 240d which topped out around 70mph.
I believe that law was amended to "reckless by speed" at 85-mph and over, or 20mph over the posted limit. Don't take my word for it but Google was inconclusive on when/if it changed.
Appreciate 1
odiford43.00
      01-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #299
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
I believe that law was amended to "reckless by speed" at 85-mph and over, or 20mph over the posted limit. Don't take my word for it but Google was inconclusive on when/if it changed.
Yeah it is 20 over the posted limit or 85 whichever is lower. So stretches of 64 are 70 and it moves at 85.

Virginia is a pain in the ass. Part of my love for the 128i

I think the track day promoters and track owners lobby must have pulled some strings....we have great tracks and full trackdays!!!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #300
odiford
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is completely off-topic, but has anyone ever been able to explain why VA traffic laws are so strict?
I think that was a $250 ticket, which I was mad about at the time, but at least I didn't get hit with reckless driving.
No idea. Might be an interesting investigation to get to the bottom of it.

That's crazy - I got a $300 ticket when I was 18 for doing 78mph on 267 into DC. The state trooper made very clear just how much he wished he got me at 80mph so he could "really teach me a lesson about consequences on his roads." Pretty wild looking back on it now but to his credit that's the only ticket I've ever gotten.

An out-of-state friend of mine got popped at 95mph on i81 just two weeks ago - she's looking at a very expensive day in court and community service/probation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
... Virginia is a pain in the ass ...
Yeah traffic laws are brutal and the personal property tax is annoying, but at least the roads are nice and weather is good.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #301
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Quote:
This is completely off-topic, but has anyone ever been able to explain why VA traffic laws are so strict?
I think that was a $250 ticket, which I was mad about at the time, but at least I didn't get hit with reckless driving.
No idea. Might be an interesting investigation to get to the bottom of it.

That's crazy - I got a $300 ticket when I was 18 for doing 78mph on 267 into DC. The state trooper made very clear just how much he wished he got me at 80mph so he could "really teach me a lesson about consequences on his roads." Pretty wild looking back on it now but to his credit that's the only ticket I've ever gotten.

An out-of-state friend of mine got popped at 95mph on i81 just two weeks ago - she's looking at a very expensive day in court and community service/probation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
... Virginia is a pain in the ass ...
Yeah traffic laws are brutal and the personal property tax is annoying, but at least the roads are nice and weather is good.
I noted this when I drove to Raleigh to get tuned. I drove like an absolute saint going through VA but would see other folks get pulled over
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 1
odiford43.00
      01-20-2021, 11:17 PM   #302
xxatticus
1er
Rep
Drives: 128i MSport 6MT - Lemans Blue

A really clean 6MT was just posted to the forum, figured I'd bump this thread.

Here's the link: Manual 128i - Auction Style https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1793112
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #303
jcrane82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxatticus View Post
A really clean 6MT was just posted to the forum, figured I'd bump this thread.

Here's the link: Manual 128i - Auction Style https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1793112
Doesn't have sport package....but cheap enough that you could justify swapping seats, steering wheel, and suspension. The chrome trim will be a little more difficult to change, but not impossible. Nice find.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #304
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325iT

Hey everyone, a couple cars popped up today so I am going to see if either of those work out. I'm also in contact with the builder extraordinaire in Michigan to talk through some cars he will have available soon. Thanks!
      01-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #305
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #306
jcrane82
United_States
Rep

Jwal, this car won't last long at that price. Need to get on your horse now. This is a slicktop car! Only way this car could be optioned better is if it had the N52 instead of the N51. MOVE!

Here is the same listing but on the dealer's website with more pictures:
https://www.allinautogroup.com/pre-o...-Series/633800
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #307
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Unfortunately that's on the other side of the country for him. Then again, for a car that rare and a price that low, it might be worth the $1500 to transport it.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #308
yostuhfoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Jwal, this car won't last long at that price. Need to get on your horse now. This is a slicktop car! Only way this car could be optioned better is if it had the N52 instead of the N51. MOVE!
Definitely priced well. It could also be optioned better with Black, Red, or Brown seats as opposed to Beige but that is easy enough to swap out.

White, MSport, Manual, Xenon, Slicktop, No iDrive

Edit: And it appears to have a clean carfax, no accidents, 3 owners, california car. Seems to have been in the dealer a few times for electrical wiring repair which is odd but man overall for 8K its a solid car.
Appreciate 0