BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2019, 01:05 PM   #1
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6sp, 2013 135i DCT

Excellent experience with AVINUSA 10.25in PX6 Android 9 unit

I bought a 10.25 in PX6 unit (black bezel) with wireless Carplay dongle (black one) and it works great even with iOS 13.0 and latest version of CarPlay

Disclaimer: I have been trying to update my beloved BMW 135i for a while and started 1st with an Xtrons unit, which I returned and now I have an AVINUSA unit.

Challenges found:

1. AUX sound issues - Fixed by pushing AUX connector in the back of the radio, the radio has a big square connector that has 3 connectors within, the one for the AUX input was a bit loose (took days to troubleshoot that one).

Note: I even bought another AUX cable on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which gave me a bad sound signal (no bass at all) and found out it has an active filter within. So I tried again the original cable provided by AVIN and pushed the AUX (10 pin) connector and made a good contact – No issues afterwards

2. Regarding AUX connection – If you do not have the HK amp with fiber optics input, you do NOT need to wire anything to the AUX connection in the central console. The wires do come already connected for AUX input. If you want do check this video about the AVIN wires:

3. Bluetooth audio issues – Playing audio would get interrupted after a second of playing music on the BMW interface. – Solved by disconnecting bluetooth from the AVIN unit.

Allow me to explain – With the AVIN unit you have 3 bluetooth connections possible: AVIN Unit, Airplay USB wireless dongle and BMW factory Bluetooth – I only enabled and connected to Airplay USB wireless dongle using Bluetooth

4. Bluetooth devices issue – Only A2DP type of Bluetooth devices can be connected to the AVIN unit. Forget about Bluetooth ODB2 device… etc. It has to do with the way these unit have been engineered. Xtrons and Joying units do not have this issue.

5. Microphone noise – Solved by routing the microphone all the way to the union of the headline and the sunroof opening just above me. It is not perfect but it is acceptable.
Microphone locations tried without success: Original BMW microphone location, behind steering wheel, c pillar close to the windshield, by the rear view mirror.
Microphones tested: AVINUSA microphone, original BMW microphone, amazon microphone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which has a 2.5 mm plug that I had to replace but similar in specs as AVIN mic.
Note: Interesting enough during my testing I confirmed the AVIN unit has an internal microphone.

6. iDrive controller – Never had CIC nor CCC, anyway I wanted to have a remote but found out that the controllers do transmit signals using 4 port connector (Can bus H, canbus L, positive and negative). AVINUSA support confirmed that the E87 iDrive controller does not work on Carplay user interface (UI) only on BMW UI.

So what does it work? USB HID (like a keyboard) and Bluetooth remote that connects to the iPhone directly like this remote: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Or this keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: I found out during my investigation that these 2 idrive controllers do not work, as AVIN units do not have Key signal blue wire (it would work fine with Xtrons and Joying):

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-ne...ar-stereo.html
https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-un...ar-stereo.html

About CCC and idrive: Found out during my research that if you had a CCC unit the iDrive maynot work because the AVIN unit does not pass the signal to the car telling it, the screen is active. The original CCC system had a retractable screen. Easily fixed by coding the car.

Next Option: Break apart keyboard and somehow put the arrows (up, down, left, right, enter) in the center console – HELP needed here!!!

7. About AVINUSA support – Have sent 3 queries to support@avinusa.com and have received answers for 2 out 3. You must register at https:///www.avinsupport.com and check all the documentation they have. The issue with Bluetooth is documented there

8. About backup camera: Fantastic results and it was so easy to setup. Ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172766150703 and you can find many on ebay.

Note: there is no need to connect red and black wires in the back (usually reverse light which I did). See instructions from AVINUSA support. Unless you have a manual car.

9. About Sound quality – No issues, similar in quality with other sources in the car, like XM, FM, CD, etc.

Note: I did upgrade my setup with Audiotec Fischer amp (bimmer tech), HK OEM speakers and Auditec Fischer subs.

10. About cutting a hole on the dash – As I did not have CIC or idrive – Cutting the dash was the biggest pita ever… take your time and go slow! The cutter AVIN sends is useless but will help starting with the cut. I used a small drill and cut many many little holes.

Note: AVIN sends you a template for E87 (2007-2011) and my E82 is from 2013 – no worries it works!!!!

11. About space behind the radio – In my opinion it is not enough, but as I did try a Xtrons unit before, I did cut partially some hard plastic behind the radio before attempting the install of AVIN unit. The additional space was welcome and made my life easier.

12. About connectors behind the radio – First time you are dealing with them is a pain. Make sure to grab a good light source to illuminate the connectors. An small flat screwdriver will help with coaxial cables

13. What else should I buy: Try this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14. Did I miss anything else: Yes, once the hole is cut, the unit may not fit properly and you will be required to either: increase the size of the hole where the unit touches the dash or just reduce the size of the unit under the dash by sanding the bottom side corners of the unit (there is no way you can see the side corners once installed).

Last edited by Jeespinozar; 09-23-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 2
houtan701.00
ch4ch6.50
      09-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Final result, including wireless charger for my mobile phone
Attached Images

10-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Latest version of Carplay is great and I love dark mode but has bugs! My head unit did not have any issue until IOS13. Now, most of the time after x minutes (usually in the middle of my driving commutte) the sound gets a lot of distortion. The reboot of the unit does not fix the issue and the reboot of my iPhone XR solves it. Last night I installed latest version of IOS 13.1.3 and did not solved the problem. Will be switching to wired connection and hope to find a solution. It does seem to be related to Bluetooth on my phone's part.
      10-26-2019, 01:23 AM   #4
jan.gugala
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i 2.0

Question Tips for coding CCC+iDrive

Thanks for your very good writeup and review. Sadly I didn't find it before ordering our screen. We were able to install the new screen without any major problems and we love using the wireless Carplay (works fine with my iPhone 7). We are however a bit stuck on how to get the iDrive to work when switched to CCC-mode.

We can easily switch modes on the screen but we can't control anything using the iDrive controls (they work fine in Android but not with carplay and CCC).

In your review you wrote that This is "Easily fixed by coding the car" I reference to get the iDrive+CCC to work. Do you have a tip/recommendation on which ECU and variable I should change to get the car to understand that the screen is up?

Grateful for any tips or recommendations you can give us as the lack of iDrive support in CCC-MODE will force us to return the device as we can't control key settings in the car without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Hello Jan
The problem you are referring to, is what i found out about ccc during my research.
The problem has to do with the fact the idrive controller is not active unless the idrive ccc popup screen is up.
I ran into the thread and explain clearly what you have to code. Will see if i have in my notes at home (traveling this week)
      11-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Updates Updates******
ABOUT NOISE DISTORTION - that suddently appears:

1. The problem with noise distortion did not get resolved connecting the iphone directly with the carplay box ==> hence the problem happens in wireless and wired mode

2. Rebooting the unit and/or the iphone and/or disconnecting the CarPlay dongle does not fix it.

3. Problem dissapears only after car was off for a while ==> the problem is with the control unit ... hold your thoughts for now

SOLUTION
As the units are USB OTG, i used an usb hub and put the carplay dongle and a external DAC: Soundquest Firefly Black 1.5. The DAC audio output goes into the radio using the cable i mentioned on item (1) on 1st post - I did removed the filter in the middle of the cable and changed pinouts

I use 3 usb connections now: Carplay dongle, Dragonfly DAC and USB remote with keyboard

The other USB goes into de glove box with a great remote: Wechip 2.4G Smart TV Wireless Keyboard Fly Mouse W1 from Amazon and that remote works great as an iDrive controller. Furthermore, brings up the volume up.
Note: After an android reboot the volume goes back to 10 and you have to use remote to bring up volume, only happens when you are using the Dragonfly DAC. Another solution for that will require another app, to change volume at boot time or/or rooting... investigating

FINAL STATUS:
- sound could not be better (but I need to go on long test drive)
- no noise distortion

REGARDING CONTROL UNIT:
This chinesse unit have 3 parts: Control unit, Bluetooth unit and Android unit (by either Rockchip of Snapdragon cpu). If you read the threads below you would understand clearly why using a Bluetooth OBD2 is not possible. The core of the unit is the Control Unit rather than the android module...

Read:
Bimmerpost: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&goto=newpost
Github: https://github.com/chinesebmwheaduni...nits.github.io
BimmerPost: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1500481
XDA Forum: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...eries-t3673558

Last edited by Jeespinozar; 11-15-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Update - Firefly Black not a solution

Random disconnections of Carplay wireless fixed with latest firmware update from Avinusa (10/25/2019)
Noise distortion fixed with an external DAC - Buy a DAC that has a 2Vrms output - I bought Monoprice Monolith DAC in Amazon for 45 USD

I am not expecting to update this thread anymore - send me a pm message if i can hlep with my experience - I am finally done
      11-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
Carfanatic_Henry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i limited edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeespinozar View Post
Update - Firefly Black not a solution

Random disconnections of Carplay wireless fixed with latest firmware update from Avinusa (10/25/2019)
Noise distortion fixed with an external DAC - Buy a DAC that has a 2Vrms output - I bought Monoprice Monolith DAC in Amazon for 45 USD

I am not expecting to update this thread anymore - send me a pm message if i can hlep with my experience - I am finally done
well glad to see I'm not the only one in here with a limited edition
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #9
atweimar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 2006 320i

Hello.

Looks Very good and Nice described.!
I got some problemes in my e90 2006 320i

Can you please Tell me what canbus option you are using??
I got an xtrons headunit in my e90 and like you decided to switch to a 10.25 screen
My probleme is just the screen power on as soon the plus is installed. The idrive knob i bought with the set does not light up at all or seems to work. And when the purple wire måned " can B" from car to screen is connected all interior light Goes out and some warning light indicator start. Somehow my frm is closing down when canbus is connected.

I got the same

McuVer
Framework ver
Android ver
App version
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

CAN Bus connections for AVIN unit

For all CCC and NBT system

GREEN CAN-A attaches to GREEN CAN-2
PURPLE CAN-B attaches to PURPLE CAN-1

For all CIC systems

GREEN CAN-A attaches to PURPLE CAN-C
PURPLE CAN-B attaches to PURPLE CAN-1

source: support.avinusa.com does have a knowledge database article about it:

https://support.avinusa.com/hc/en-us...d-9-0-monitors
      01-04-2020, 04:32 AM   #11
wverboom
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53 4.6is

Hi, i have an Avin Avont 4 PX6 Android 9 unit and true this post i found out that the ODB II Bluetooth adapter is not going to work
It's strange that Avin USA is selling me this combination and we are working for months now to figure out what the problem is. They even sent me a new ODB II Bluetooth adapter.
I see you connect the smartphone via the bluetooth of the carplay box? Perhaps u have an iPhone? When i connect my Samsung S9+ to the wireless carplay box it has no possibility to do audio or handfree phone!

Wouter
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Hello wverboom,
Indeed, I use an iPhone to connect to the black dongle using Apple's Carplay (wireless mode) using latest update from AVIN (Nov 2019) and I could not be happier.
The AVINUSA data shows that the black dongle support wired Android connection.
Cannot porvide more info as I am not an android user
Good Luck!
      04-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #13
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Final outcome - I removed the unit

Hello there

I used this qurantine time to work in my cars. So I have an update a about my 135i and the android unit.
Few things I was not able to solve:

1. Bluetooth quality for calls never worked well, background noise was always present - so I decided to open the unit. As it is mentioned in some android forums (see links i mentioned) there is a very small mic that is connected in parallel with the bluettoth card and the connector where you would connect the external microphone. Bottom line is: Even with an external mic you will always have the input from the cheap small mic inside. So I removed the internal one. To make the story short, this was the last and ultimate frustration - everybody, everybody would ask me what is wrong with my phone connection.

2. Audio quality, once you are inside the unit you can clearly see the cheap crafmanship and the cheap design of the unit, truly. No wonder audio was not up to my expectations. Despite the fact I bought 3 different external DACs, it was painful to be concerned all the time about raising the volume manually, as the volume is not kep for the DAC, switch between apps before launching apple car play app, etc.

I am going to sell the unit on ebay for parts (as I did remove the bluetooth card) but otherwise the thing works in my garage.

So, what did i end up with:

Pioneer NVH-1400NEX - which by the way will take the original high-tech noise-cancelling OEM mic. I used the connector from the avinusa unit and replaced the connector on the PAC RP4.2-BM21. I even used adapters and I have the AUX and USB original OEM connectors working with the Pioneer unit. You want the external AUX input to use it with calibration mic from Pioneer.

P.S.

1. Will talk with Admin to change tittle of the post - if i can help in any way let me know.
2. To complete my all around german set the Helix Match MS 42C are a perfect fit for rear deck
3. Picture with unit is before i connected the OEM mic. Now it is removed
4. Metra is great company - not onece they have failed me but this kit was a pia... let me know if you have a question about proper fitting.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeespinozar; 04-17-2020 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #14
soulbrix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d Cabrio '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeespinozar View Post
Hello there

I used this qurantine time to work in my cars. So I have an update a about my 135i and the android unit.
Few things I was not able to solve:

1. Bluetooth quality for calls never worked well, background noise was always present - so I decided to open the unit. As it is mentioned in some android forums (see links i mentioned) there is a very small mic that is connected in parallel with the bluettoth card and the connector where you would connect the external microphone. Bottom line is: Even with an external mic you will always have the input from the cheap small mic inside. So I removed the internal one. To make the story short, this was the last and ultimate frustration - everybody, everybody would ask me what is wrong with my phone connection.

2. Audio quality, once you are inside the unit you can clearly see the cheap crafmanship and the cheap design of the unit, truly. No wonder audio was not up to my expectations. Despite the fact I bought 3 different external DACs, it was painful to be concerned all the time about raising the volume manually, as the volume is not kep for the DAC, switch between apps before launching apple car play app, etc.

I am going to sell the unit on ebay for parts (as I did remove the bluetooth card) but otherwise the thing works in my garage.

So, what did i end up with:

Pioneer NVH-1400NEX - which by the way will take the original high-tech noise-cancelling OEM mic. I used the connector from the avinusa unit and replaced the connector on the PAC RP4.2-BM21. I even used adapters and I have the AUX and USB original OEM connectors working with the Pioneer unit. You want the external AUX input to use it with calibration mic from Pioneer.

P.S.

1. Will talk with Admin to change tittle of the post - if i can help in any way let me know.
2. To complete my all around german set the Helix Match MS 42C are a perfect fit for rear deck
3. Picture with unit is before i connected the OEM mic. Now it is removed
4. Metra is great company - not onece they have failed me but this kit was a pia... let me know if you have a question about proper fitting.
Quick question, where did you get that frame for the radio? It would be perfect for my e88 since usual Android radios do not have space for the extra buttons.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:27 AM   #15
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Metraonline.com

2 din unit frame from metra online
Pm if you have a question
      12-30-2020, 02:04 AM   #16
Kapsona
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 328i. BMW e82 128i

Guys need your suggestion. My car comes from factory without OEM monitor head unit. I installed AVIN android unit, I also ordered and installed iDrive controller form AVIN. Problem is that, iDrive controller very poor quality, also it doesn’t have main button tilting features it only rolling.

I’m wandering can I use OEM iDrive controller instead of that AVIN trash? I tried to understand how to connect it, because AVIN iDrive controller have 5 pin socket. BMW OEM iDrive controller have 4 pin socket.

Does anyone tried and use OEM iDrive on AVIN head units?

Regards

Last edited by Kapsona; 02-13-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #17
flybywyre337
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E88 (N55)

This may be a stupid question but what are those things clipped on your air vents.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #18
Jeespinozar
135i fan
United_States
Rep

Oem controller does not work w avin unless you have the cic unit.

Things on vent are bmw oem air refreser
Appreciate 0