BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

RUN FLAT FYI

Just an FYI guys (and gals):

Already got a frikkin nail in one of my tires. (only 800 miles)
Called around to various shops. Only about 1 in 5 shops would repair it.
Found a large Goodyear shop who did it for $40.
A couple shops I called said ,..."ummm,..well we could give it a try"
(No Thanks)

So,.. Bottom line:
Yes Run flats can be patched. (Nail was through the tread, not the sidewall)
Call around for a shop with the correct machine, and someone who knows how to use it. I also took the wheel and tire off and dropped it off. (I have the lux of a 2nd vehicle)
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
CAMike
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Isn't the only difference between a runflat and a "normal" tire the sidewall? A nail is a nail through the tread. Don't see how there could be any difference. I guess maybe the problems come from driving in the sidewall with a flat and it ultimately compromising the integrity of the sidewall...who knows though...this will be decided in a court after someone has a runflat patched and then has a crash later...at some point nobody will patch them. Too bad BMW didn't offer "normal" tires.
      06-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I believe it has more to do with getting the run flat off and then back on again. Stiff sidewalls make it harder i guess. Special tire machine is needed from what I understand.
All the places I called that said they couldnt do it said "We dont have a machine that will do run flats".
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
I believe it has more to do with getting the run flat off and then back on again. Stiff sidewalls make it harder i guess. Special tire machine is needed from what I understand.
All the places I called that said they couldnt do it said "We dont have a machine that will do run flats".
+1, the tread is so stiff it is difficult to get off. Fyi, They can do it, but it is extremely difficult. (Use to work at a sears, my bro worked in auto back in the day)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
I was told this 3 years ago by a Firestone/Bridgestone dealer who said he could order the 050A runflats, but couldn't install them with his equipment. I'm somewhat surprised that is still the case with so many shops.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
IDBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I have been living with run flats for five years and the only one that told me they could not patch the tire was the BMW dealer and I get at least one nail a year. Perhaps it is how you approach the tire people. If you say "can you fix it?" They may think it will be hard and don’t want to deal with it. I just drop the wheel/tire off at the tire store near my house and say it needs to be patched. Once guy repairing the tire told me it was a hassle but they never refused to fix my tire. Plus they do it for free. Its there policy to fix flats for free at Les Schwab so you will buy tires from they next time you need them. I did notice there were some waffle marks on the inside of the wheel where it looks like something grabbed the wheel to keep it from turning on the machine but even with the inside of the wheel clean I can not see the marks.
      06-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
gullyfoyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i coupe

Hi,
I also asked dealer about RFTs repair . he said that BMW does not recommend and does not repair RFTs but manufacturer can fix it if it's safe by the their standards... so it's not that bad as people were saying in other threads.
Appreciate 0