BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
XoMan
Rep
Drives:

Where is the Power Amplifier?! FOUND!!!

So get this, I just got my 2008 128i coupe, Loaded including Nav and Premium Audio. I’m now in the process of coming up with my game plan to upgrade the speakers and subwoofers. To get things started I need to find the power amp…. BUT! I cannot find it at all. I have looked in all the obvious places and for that matter I now know where the Bluetooth, Satellite radio and four of the computer units are, but no power amp!

I have now looked under all of the trim in the trunk and have now had the back seat out.

Maybe its time to get my eyes checked….

Anyone?
Anyone?

UPDATE: After reading around here, if my system has EQ and Surround sound options, then it’s a Logic 7. I'm wondering if that makes a difference?
It has also occurred to me that maybe I should be specific on what I need. It all boils down to the remote. I need that to switch on and off the amp I will be experimenting with and eventually installing. Am I going to have to go into the dash and look for that "black wire"?

Cheers!

Final Update:

I found it! Drivers side, behind a well seal panel.
I am surprised to find it where I did. Between the panel and the outside panel/fender. I suppose it’s a good space for ventilation, but what an odd spot... Anyway, here are the photos. Obviously, it will be better to work with the wires passing through the panel it's self. See last photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

You have to take off some of the interior fittings in the trunk. It's back there, on the left side. Not very accessible. There was a thread about this a while back, http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...move+amplifier.

It's a good idea to try searching before posting like this, by the way. I found the thread by searching "remove amplifer." Not hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
XoMan
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Sethchan, but I have read that post and the Amp is not at that location.
Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Maybe they made a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoMan View Post
Thanks Sethchan, but I have read that post and the Amp is not at that location.
Any other ideas?
Maybe your amplifier wasn't installed. Were there any harnesses in the area where the amp is supposed to be?

The only other thing I can think of is just ask your dealer where it is. The repair people can look it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
XoMan
Rep
Drives:

Nope, just a nice space where it would be.... (And I might put the Sub amp in there when I get this planed out...)
Could the main unit be providing the power, like a lot of the ones we see on the market? Seems very un-BMW to me...
Yah, I'll talk to the dealer, I just need to find the time to go over there....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
imported_NuovoTech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I have read that post and the Amp is not at that location. Any other ideas?
I talked to the lead technician at my local BMW dealer & asked him that. We looked it up on his computer, said the amp was behind driver's side rear seat side panel. Tho, I've seen nothing in this forum to confirm that? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
XoMan
Rep
Drives:

Thanks NuovoTech. When I had the rear seat out, I did see a lot of wiring passing though that area. It was tough to trace because that rear panel is tight. I think it might be there. But at this point, I'm going to ask my dealer too and get a clear answer before I go pulling more stuff out.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0