BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Black Bra Recommendations?

I've been taping up my lights and part of my front bumper when I hit the track. I think I'd rather just get a removable bra instead. (Don't want to do the whole "clear bra" install.) Here's me at my last track day:

The BMW one has a mesh fabric that sits in front of the intercooler and air intakes (wtf), so that's out.

There's a Colgan bra that, but this one also seems like it would restrict airflow (obviously crucial on a track day in sunny CA).

Does anyone make a removable bra that doesn't restrict airflow? Or is there some other solution out there?

Thanks everyone!
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Why no clear bra? Cost? Might be surpised, should get a quote.
      01-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Why no clear bra? Cost? Might be surpised, should get a quote.
I just think they're kinda silly. You put this film on the car so it protects the paint, so the car will look good... when? After you take the film off? Which is when exactly?

I feel like I don't want to be THAT picky with a car. Besides, if a decent size rock nails the front of my hood, I doubt a thin film will do much to stop it. A big thick bra would have a chance though.

That's my thinking anyway. I just figure when I'm at the track, those are abnormal conditions and some extra protection would be nice.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep

Cut out the screen mesh? Have shop add material to cover head lights.
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
I just think they're kinda silly. You put this film on the car so it protects the paint, so the car will look good... when? After you take the film off? Which is when exactly?

I feel like I don't want to be THAT picky with a car. Besides, if a decent size rock nails the front of my hood, I doubt a thin film will do much to stop it. A big thick bra would have a chance though.

That's my thinking anyway. I just figure when I'm at the track, those are abnormal conditions and some extra protection would be nice.
I disagree, that film rocks. Decent size rocks have hit my previous car without any damage to the paint - it really is great stuff. On the 1er, I've had a couple small rocks hit without damage, but nothing crazy. Peace of mind I guess when you're behind trucks on the highway or need construction areas Plus, you do it not so it just protects the paint but to preserve the look and appear as if you DON'T have anything on the car, and most people would never even know. Downside to the regular bra is that dirt just gets caught underneath and ends up scratching and making the car look worse when you don't use it. Plus, the car looks pretty bad with it on too, so it's a lose-lose.

How do those pieces of tape around your bumper protect you - I'm curious?
      01-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
BroDoze
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 LCI cometh

Clear bras are the best thing since sliced bread. A bit pricey, yes. But WELL worth it. They are designed to be permanent, OP. You don't peel them off. They maintain they're new look for many, many years - that's kinda the point.

Every car i buy, I get full bumper, mirrors, headlights, 18" hood, fenders, splashes etc.

It helps that I know and used to work with my guys that do it, hehe. Regardless, my car and headlights and splashes look brand new, many years down the road.
      01-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Everyone seems to be missing the point that this is just extra protection for the track! Thank you for the comments though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

The good thing about a clear bra is that it wont leave 75% of your painted surfaces exposed like tape...and it'll protect when you are not at the track, road debris is much more likely to cause front end damage than being at the track
      01-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I'm rolling the OEM bra for winter.... the pics make it look restrictive, but i wouldn't consider it at all restrictive. There is a fine black nylon mesh over the intercooler/kidneys which might make it look restritive, but its completely open. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to cut the openings for the brakes and just put a hem around them.

FWIW I think the Colgan one you have a picture of is quite nice. I wouldn't consider that one to be that restrictive if at all, but it is almost twice what the OEM one costs (with the Tischer/United discount).

*edit*

Just checked mine out and it is completely open on the lower left/right grills, so no cutting/sewing necessary.

Last edited by Feyd; 01-28-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

I did not like the clear bra for the track when I had my Lotus Elise. I had the Colgan front bra and mirror covers on my Porsche for the track and it worked great. I just taped the lights and put the bra on. I too don't think the Colgan on the car pictured is that overly restrictive as well. Try it and see if it works ok. Their products are great. Just learn that initial trick to put it on, because it was a PITA until you get used to it. If you are still concerned about air flow restriction, just take it to an auto upholstery shop and have it modified to open up the areas. While you are at it, have them sew in more material for the light opening.

I use to do the tape crap to. It looks silly but is effective. The more I tracked my cars the less and less I cared about them. It took so much time to prepare, remove and clean up. I thought the hell with it and I will just get it repainted later.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
kinda depends on where you live mainly. If i still lived in Boulder,CO or Tahoe City,CA then i would def put a clear bra on out there, no question!. But out here in Portland,OR i dont want to spend the $$$ for it and just use touch paint from Dr. Colorchip. I figure if it gets too bad over the next few years then i will repaint the damage..probably cheaper for me too.