BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Considering trade 1 for Subie...advice

All...

Welcoming all opinions/thoughts...

I'm considering selling/trading my '08 135i coupe for a loaded Legacy 2.5GT.

I love the 1, but I've recently increased my highway travel for work, and would appreciate some more touring versatility, not to mention I'm an expecting Father. Any 1-owning parents out there with experience with child seats?

My wife drives a Jetta, lease ending in 10 months, so we have one baby-worthy car and replace it as such.

Any first-hand experience with Legacy GT and how livable it is coming from the 1? Suspension and handling is my biggest concern. I consider non-sport 3-series rather sloppy...and is such the critical failure in x-drive models. Being reasonable though, I recognize the Subie is what it is, and willing to give up some precision for the sensibility, versatility, and small savings...but like the rest of you, driving experience is EVERYTHING. Previous cars were E46 330xi, A4, and E30 325ix...my personal impression in the end...but from experience what do you all think?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

We had a child 3 months ago, its not that bad if you are dedicated to using the 1.

It is not ideal but it can be done.

I dont know much about the Subaru so I cant comment on that.
      02-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

I owned and modded an '05 LGT. Great car. Horribly soft susp.

Are you thinking of a 2010? Drive one. It is a barge compared to the '05-'09's. The 6sp tranny is a big complaint as it's NOT the STi 6sp and not even the Spec-B LGT 6sp. Power felt very anemic as well. The car did not give me any kind of smile to speak of, and I absolutely love Subraus.

It is a BIG, HEAVY car. On paper, it looks good, but, after 4 test drives, I could not bring myself to get one. GO DRIVE IT. You're the only one that can make the right decision.

Visit LegacyGT.com and see what the consensus is.
      02-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Can't speak for the Subi but you ought hunt down the thread about the 1er guy that ran head on into a telephone pole. I believe the pole went 18" into the engine compartment. The passenger compartment remained perfectly intact. I believe the drivers side door still closed perfectly. Every type of bag went off inside and created a coccoon of safety.

Says something about hauling a kid around in a 1 and sacrificing a bit of convenience....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Ive had several child seats in my 1er. My niece was 1 1/2 when I picked the 1er up. The 1er does have LATCH attachments, so it is totally doable as a baby hauler. However, I can see why it might be an issue of getting in and out of the back in a coupe. But in a vert you just drop the top and lift her over the car. Its easy

Ohh and let me throw this one out there. Julie loves it when drive a bit fast and rev the car. Its nothing but smiles in the 135i.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Suspension/handling are the new Legacy's biggest let downs IMO. Its a quick family sedan, not to be confused with sport sedan. It rides very comfortably but I was very let down by the test drive which could more accurately be described as a test "float". The suspension has gotten even softer from previous gen. which was somewhat soft, shifter was bad too, seats- very soft and no diff from base Legacy. The only actual improvement was space for those who need but overall I think the previous gen was much better. If you want a Subie and I'm a happy 06 Forester XT owner- I'd try to find an 09 spec V hanging around or a new WRX 5 door or leftover G37x that you can get ~5-6k off sticker(sticking to AWD theme here).

Last edited by Monterra; 02-22-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Have you looked into a new Fusion? They are very nice cars and are somewhat sporty to boot.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Ha, I contemplated same scenario a few months ago. Was going to test drive Subi and ended up passing on idea. I'm a German car enthusiast and the thought of defecting scared me. Still not sure what I am going to do come Sept when little one arrives. I am holding out for either X3, X1, or possibly new Golf R if it comes in a 4 door. I'd prefer to have both sporty and practical with a 6spd manual. I'm also considering A4, S4 (if leases become reasonable) and A3 (new model should be out next year).

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
pit1
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the input all...

I shared the exact same concerns many of you outlined regarding suspension and gearbox. Gearbox was downright frustrating and the suspension felt even softer than my wife's jetta. Although, once the car was planted, it carved fairly well.

Did look into the Fusion, though AWD/Sport/Manual isn't a possible combination. My wife wouldn't mind driving an auto, but not a option for me.

I'll def give it another try, I'm in the same boat as Peppebmw, always been a german car guy, and never felt comfortable in the Japanese makes of which I've had extensive driving time. Although, maybe an STi test drive is in order as well, I'm a sucker for the quirky styling.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Monterra
Captain
Rep

Don't forget the cheaper plain old rex that's putting up near STi numbers for Ks less. Its so much more dynamic than the new Legacy and still versatile and spacious. They've firmed up the suspension nicely since the 08 debut of the new body style and added more power for basically the same $- its pretty tough to beat esp. if you want/need AWD.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Ford Taurus SHO

The laughter isn't part of the commercial, but these commercials do play on the radio often...kind of funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

1+Baby = no problem. I've driving with the baby ever since I got my 135. Not an issue. Here is another safety incentive: the baby cant open any doors. I say, stay with 1 or you'll regret it.
      02-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
JPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: German

I owned on '08 LGT The transmission is marginal as a 6 spd std. very short 1st gear and difficult 1-2 shift. Turbo lag until 3000rpm. Really have to keep it boiling to enjoy the power. Can be fun when pushing it hard, but a pain in the ass when just driving normally in traffic. Handling was good and reliability is rock solid. also very easy to tune with a Cobb OBD flash at home and HFC DP make a lot of additional power.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Ford Taurus SHO
But only if you want a car longer than a 750i.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

have you looked at the 5 series?
      02-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

I'd throw another vote in for the WRX or WRX STI. I used to drive an '05 WRX wagon and loved every minute, including the cheesy plastic trim and hood scloop. They are really easy to modify: with some stiffer springs, sway bars, a short throw, a little tweaking to the cats and a new tune I think mine felt pretty close to a stock STI (and at that point the gap between WRX and STI was greater). I think both would be nice alternatives to the LGT.

What about a GTI or its Audi sibling?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
Xyloft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
I'd throw another vote in for the WRX or WRX STI. I used to drive an '05 WRX wagon and loved every minute, including the cheesy plastic trim and hood scloop. They are really easy to modify: with some stiffer springs, sway bars, a short throw, a little tweaking to the cats and a new tune I think mine felt pretty close to a stock STI (and at that point the gap between WRX and STI was greater). I think both would be nice alternatives to the LGT.

sti is a great car, BUT, I used to watch adults heads boble in the back seat on smooth highway in my rearview. I'd hate to put a baby in a car seat back there. the new WRX may be a better option with a slightly detuned suspension - not to mention cost of ownership being a bit lower (cheaper brakes, tires, insurance etc).

i hear the new legacy ride quality is greatly improved over the old. the 2.5GT, i assume is the 2.5 turbo, which will have a large aftermarket and if you don't like the power you can get a Cobb Accessport for it and probably boost it above 300.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
dieselmitchell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
imo you will ultimately regret getting rid of the 1er... but i dont have a baby, so maybe my perspective is skewed. good luck either way, and good luck with the kid, i hear they are a handful
      02-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
CJF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White machine

i feel pretty strongly that you will regret selling the 1er. i have a 19-month old and another on the way. i just sold a E46 M3 that i assume would be similar to the 135. getting the small child in and out of most cars is a pain, it will be fractionally easier with the 4-door, but not a huge difference.

i regret selling the M3. thinking of getting 135.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
pit1
Captain
Rep

Again..thanks to all, shared enthusiast opinions are very helpful. The Subie forums are equally respectful and insightful, though I suspect their baseline for handling and performance is dissimilar to ours, at least I know you all understand what I expect. My E46 330xi, was sloppy enough to drive me nuts, that says enough for how I would view the LGT.

Basically, it comes to this. The 1er is my families "big" car payment, the wife's car is more budget-minded. So, is it selfish to continue payments on a relatively impractical car to serve my car obsession over my family's changing needs? That's where I'm stuck...we spend A LOT of time together, and commute together as well, right now we're in the 1er 60% of the time...with the kid that'll put us in her Jetta until we replace that next Dec. So why not trade the "big payment" for something both fun to drive AND versatile? Also, I'm of the mindset that life is a journey, and I do my best to enjoy the present. So practicality has it's place, but obviously doesn't drive my decisions...otherwise I'd be driving a TDI Golf.

Saw a '07 CPO S4 available...hmmmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
1+Baby = no problem. I've driving with the baby ever since I got my 135. Not an issue. Here is another safety incentive: the baby cant open any doors. I say, stay with 1 or you'll regret it.
How about rear-facing seats? Is there enough room back there? The 1er won't be the primary baby-hauler, so luggage space for weekenders is of little concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA View Post
I owned on '08 LGT The transmission is marginal as a 6 spd std. very short 1st gear and difficult 1-2 shift.
Agree 100% the first gear is WAY too small, reminded me of my E30 325ix but throw in turbo lag, and it complicates the 1-2 shift. I stuttered into 2nd a few times in the short test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
have you looked at the 5 series?
Thought about that on the way in to work this morning, CPO is not a bad idea. Again...would have to be manual x-drive, imagine they're few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustler View Post
I'd throw another vote in for the WRX or WRX STI.
WRX/STi are def on the test drive list. Though I'm looking to preserve the touch of luxury, somewhat lacking in those models. GTI is FWD = N/A, A3 is plagued with bad trans/drivetrain combinations.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I wonder if subies are subject to any of the Toyota quality issues no that they are part of the same family?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #22
Monterra
Captain
Rep

A4 should probably be on the drive list too, and even though the G37x can't be had with a manual I think that one is def. worth a long look too and you can always get the G37S 6MT too.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car

Last edited by Monterra; 02-24-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0