BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Another Customs Thread....

I have ordered a set of suspension from the US which is being shipped as we speak.

Invoiced amount was $US850, so will fall under the A$1,000 limit, and was advised that it is being shipped to the airport.

Got a call from a Customs Broker advising they could take care of clearing the items, and quoted $400.

Total terminal charges: AUD260.00 + GST
Total clearance charges: AUD65.00 + GST
Delivery: AUD76.76 + GST

I have confirmed with the shipping company that they will be lodging the SAC (Self Assessed Clearance), so Clearance charges are not required, and I can pick the items up myself so the delivery of $76.76 is not required either.

My question is what/why are the terminal charges charged? Is this something the broker is charging for? Can I get out of that part?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

call another customs broker and get a quote, you can shop around with brokers they are everywhere, that seems a little steep,
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

If the items are under $1,000 then it's simple and straightforward to clear it yourself - just take a look at the Customs website for the forms and instructions. I cleared something which came in by post which was over the $1,000 threshold and it cost me about $45 in Customs fees and a little time to fill in the forms, provide ID, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Yeh that sounds quite high. I had 8 tyres delivered to my door and total duties etc ended up being AUD$382. Total cost wsa over $1000 too.
      04-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Yep always try and get your good shipped door to door, other wise you get screwed with extra terminal fees and airport related fees.
I dont know why its like that, but door to door should work out cheaper.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Anyone know if the customs broker fees are included in the terminal fees or is that another hidden fee?

I've got the same shipment coming as Michael in a couple weeks and I'm not keen to get stung!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

It sounds a lot of fee.

Expanding what taipan is talking about .... Tell you what BMW86, I just clear some of the import stuff myself, although they are bicycle parts.

I wonder why you do not receive anything from the custom directly, like a letter. Anyway...

http://www.customs.gov.au/
go to import/export > importing goods > importing goods by post.

or here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp

Criteria is this: "Imported goods may arrive into Australia by airfreight, express courier, sea cargo or via the post. The method of delivery determines the Customs clearance formalities and charges."

You may want to clear it yourself. The processing fee is only $48. You need to pay duty + GST for car parts.

1. Use the B374 form and fill it in correctly.

2. You also need to fill 2 x B319: One for you and one for your sender.

3. Also give them a scan of your passport and driver license (100 point check).

4. Also a copy of invoice stating the cost.

email all 4 of them to mgfimports@customs.gov.au. Then they will email them back with duty + tax to pay and you just email them back your c/c authorization form. Only took me 2 business days and goods arrived on the 3rd day.
      05-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Thanks for your help takahashi!! I will definitely look into this. I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

BMW86,

Just remember now I have a letter from custom/australian post with reference V ****** number. I wonder in Brisbane it will be a Q******.
      05-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

If it is under AU$1000 then you should NOT get hit with any additional fees etc assuming the sender has arranged with one of the major couriers (fedex, DHL etc) for a door to door service.

If it is over $1000 then the courier service should handle the customs side of things for a minimal fee.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
If it is under AU$1000 then you should NOT get hit with any additional fees etc assuming the sender has arranged with one of the major couriers (fedex, DHL etc) for a door to door service.

If it is over $1000 then the courier service should handle the customs side of things for a minimal fee.
Yes but the official letter from custom stated that under $1000 MAY not require tax. It is still their decision to tax you or not.

Good luck.
      05-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Hi Taka, that is interesting the offical letter says that because the Government website clearly states that for goods purchased over the internet:

"All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less"

The word "may" might be leading to some confusion here?

Here is a link to the relevant page, it's pretty detailed:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp#e987

Note that the assessed value by customs always includes postage and packing!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Exactly,

I was picking the word "MAY". Their decision is final and it is their mercy to exempt you from import tax.

I imported a few set of bike parts over a period of 2 weeks. Theoretically, they can put them all together and tax me even each shipment worth less than $1000. They have said that on the letter and probably also on the website.

BTW they have a lot of paper work to do when they charge you duty and tax. So I guess it works both ways.
      05-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It's interesting what the Government intend the meaning of "may" as here. In my opinion, I would interpret this as an allowance to import with the only restriction being the $1000 limit. However I understand how it could be taken as meaning a possibility based on other factors.

And yes if you import items too close to each other to the same address they will take the culminative value.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I guess I did not take their words for granted. However, I have not been asked to pay any tax for item less than $1000. Even they arrive close to each other.

In fact, I have one big box worth $1200, not being taxed. Lucky ~~~
      05-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Note that the assessed value by customs always includes postage and packing!
Not correct.

The value does not include shipping/postage for the purposes of whether it is under $1,000.

HOWEVER, if you exceed the $1,000, duty is payable on the value of the goods, and GST is payable on the value of the goods + shipping/insurance

The costs I've mentioned above aren't to do with duty/GST, they are charges for picking the goods up from the airport. Customs have now cleared the items and no duty/GST was payable.

I will always be getting them delivered to my door from now on, as once these extra charges are incurred its just as cheap to get them delivered directly to you, even using FedEX or UPS!

"All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less"

The word "may" is saying you can import them, if its under A$1,000 you will pay no duty/GST guaranteed
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #17
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well I stand corrected but I cant find this in writing specifically on the net. I suppose we assume when they state "goods" they mean just the article itself. It is good to know if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #18
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well I stand corrected but I cant find this in writing specifically on the net. I suppose we assume when they state "goods" they mean just the article itself. It is good to know if that is the case.

You're telling me! I cant find it either, but have been in contact with a few different Customs Officers, and have emails stating this. No idea why its not on their website!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 03:25 AM   #19
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
Not correct.

The value does not include shipping/postage for the purposes of whether it is under $1,000.

HOWEVER, if you exceed the $1,000, duty is payable on the value of the goods, and GST is payable on the value of the goods + shipping/insurance
That is how I interpret when you will get a letter that your import good has been held in the custom office.

Quote:
The costs I've mentioned above aren't to do with duty/GST, they are charges for picking the goods up from the airport. Customs have now cleared the items and no duty/GST was payable.
Oh good that is the best result

Quote:
I will always be getting them delivered to my door from now on, as once these extra charges are incurred its just as cheap to get them delivered directly to you, even using FedEX or UPS!
Yeah. FedEx is always cheaper than UPS, but I should think we should support the poms not the americans if we could. I was reading that the UK economy is going to the ditch if there were a hung Parliament after this weekend.

God save the queen

Quote:

The word "may" is saying you can import them, if its under A$1,000 you will pay no duty/GST guaranteed
What is what we think it should happen. But I am sure there will be too much work for custom if they were going to pick on every single small item. Sometimes they even miss the $2000 goods, or can't be bothered because they have too much work themselves.
      05-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #20
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

I have to correct myself. Just found the custom's letter and read it carefully this time.

It stated:
IF YOUR GOODS ARE VALUED AT OR BELOW A$1000
You need to fax, email or post your invoice / receipt for payment to Customs and Border Protection as evidence of the value of the goods. Fax and email details are listed on the bottom qf this Notice. If Customs accepts your invoice you will not be required to pay Customs Duty or GST. Your mail article will be delivered to you by Australia Post.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (1,010.7 KB, 449 views)