BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: do you turn off DTC/DSC
always off 3 6.00%
sometimes 34 68.00%
never 13 26.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

04-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Red face Does anyone know how to Enable DTC, DSC & all that jazz?

So I been reading the manual and its confusing.

Says..

Dynamic Traction Control..

"As a check"
"DTC If the indicator lights are on. DTC is activated"

I don't get it..

For DSC if the indicator lights on, its deactived, but for DTC if its on its activated?

Can someone tell me what lights I should see on the dashboard WHILE DRIVING, to be sure ALL safety features are on?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

It simple. The car only yells at you when the traction and stability control are off. So with no lights you are in the clear.

DTC is basically saying that the stability and traction control are half off. Meaning that the car will let you turn harder or spin your tires a little bit more before kicking in the nannies than with nothing off.

An icon dead center on your instrument cluster that says "DTC" if this mode is on and it is activated by a single press of the button labled "DTC" above the harzard lights.

The other Traction control mode is full off. This is affectionatly called TIMYOYO mode. It turns off all stability and traction controls and simply leaves on the ELSD.

An icon dead center on your instrument cluster. This icon is an exclaimation point in a triangle surrounded by a circular arrow. This is activayed by pressing and holding the DTC button until the triangle illuminates.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by BrokenVert; 04-30-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Some guy reported here as after switching it off and him immediately hits a divider and scratched car badly. If I purchased the car, then I would fine with such damage, a car looks good having a lot of body damage, like a real race car, however my car is lease so not DTC off for me.
      04-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
If I purchased the car, then I would fine with such damage, a car looks good having a lot of body damage, like a real race car
I may want to sell you my car if something bad happens.

ianc
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Here's a pretty good thread on DSC/DTC:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250656

Enjoy.
      05-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
It simple. The car only yells at you when the traction and stability control are off. So with no lights you are in the clear.

DTC is basically saying that the stability and traction control are half off. Meaning that the car will let you turn harder or spin your tires a little bit more before kicking in the nannies than with nothing off.

An icon dead center on your instrument cluster that says "DTC" if this mode is on and it is activated by a single press of the button labled "DTC" above the harzard lights.

The other Traction control mode is full off. This is affectionatly called TIMYOYO mode. It turns off all stability and traction controls and simply leaves on the ELSD.

An icon dead center on your instrument cluster. This icon is an exclaimation point in a triangle surrounded by a circular arrow. This is activayed by pressing and holding the DTC button until the triangle illuminates.

Hope that helps!
+1

No lights on dash: you are in the clear. All safeties are on.
DTC light: Dynamic Traction Control is activated. More slip will be allowed by the electronic programs before they reel you back in. Probably as far as you should go on the street.
Exclamation mark with circular arrow: "That's it motherf***er, you're on your own" mode. eLSD remains on. I only use this mode on the track.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Don't touch the switch, DSC is on by default. A quick press of the switch and you go into DTC mode, which is intended for slippery conditions, snow mud or gravel where the car will allow for some wheel slippage. If you want to turn all computer control except the 'e-brake' which will apply the rear brakes to whichever wheel is spinning, simply press the button for 5 seconds. You will get the yellow triangle which means you are pretty much on your own.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
Some guy reported here as after switching it off and him immediately hits a divider and scratched car badly. If I purchased the car, then I would fine with such damage, a car looks good having a lot of body damage, like a real race car, however my car is lease so not DTC off for me.

i'm confused with everything you said...

1. if he took all the nannies off immediately hit a divider, he didn't know his car. it's something you try and play with until you learn the limits of your car. You cant even take off hard let alone launch the car with DTC and DSC on. Nothing like taking a hard turn and having your ass slide out a bit. I mean we are all enthusiast here.

2. How does body damage look good?

3. The point of leasing is that if you spazz out and smash your car up, you pay your deductible, get it fixed, and get rid off it as soon as your lease is up. If I purchased a car, I would be way more upset with any damage as it would kill resale. With a lease, let the BMW dealership take the hit if the car had body work.
      05-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

Hope that helps!

My dealer rep showed me how to do this (turning everything off), lol. I wasn't expecting him to say "If you want to get the tail to slide out, hold that button" haha

In layman's terms. If you dont see anything in your instrument cluster, you are in normal mode and everything is turned on.

Press the DTC button once, this allows you to have some angle of slip if you want to get the rear end out. However once you have too much angle the computer aides kick in to straighten you out.

Hold down that button to turn off both the DTC and the DSC. Then you are basically on your own, car will slide as much as you can make it.

Press if again to bring back all the driver aides.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
It's not that easy to get the tail to slide in our car. Way too much understeer. Then again, I don't have the crappy stock tires either. I always drive with DSC/DTC completely off because they interfere all the time with a tune. I only leave it on when roads are wet.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know where the limits of your car are and what it feels like at that point. I'd take a car control clinic (bmwcca) and you can really get to know your car better without traction control.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0