BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

261s starting to flake already?

I recently noticed that one of my wheels are starting to flake and it seems to be getting worse. It is only on one wheel at this stage, has anyone else had this happen and do I have a chance of a warranty claim? my warranty runs out this month and I dont want to pay for a new set of these.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Get the issue documented by the dealer at a minimum, that way if there are delays in any resolution you can always demostarte that it existed prior to warranty expiration.

I had a HSV, years ago, where this happened and they took it back and supplied a new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

ok thanks, I am heading to the dealer on Wednesday for some other minor warranty work so I will be mentioning it to them then.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Damn that's not good! How often do you wash your wheels?

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

I clean my car/wheels almost every weekend but I never use any harsh acidic products on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
Jon.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i

Oh wow, I had no idea that they flake. If I wanted to powder coat my 261s, does it mean I have to strip that flaking layer off first?

Hope you get it swapped under warranty!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
I clean my car/wheels almost every weekend but I never use any harsh acidic products on them.
Matty, I hate to say it but i think you should check on that. There's your answer.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Matty, I hate to say it but i think you should check on that. There's your answer.
really? does anyone else wash their car every weekend?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
really? does anyone else wash their car every weekend?
I think Kenny means to check on the solution you use to wash your wheels, I try to every weekend but don't have the time. Ends up being I only wash when there's going to be a long period of sunshine forecasted and I use armourall wheel protectant in between.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

I dont even use soap on my wheels, I use Meguiars NXT Generation soap for the car but I do my wheels by hand with a rag and just some water
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Let us know how it goes with the dealer. I hope they look after you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

This should be covered under warranty Matt. Good luck with it, I'm sure they'll fix it or replace them for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Gtr,135i,M235i,XR6 turbo

I use to wash my wheels on my 1er most weeks for two years with strong wheel cleaner then soap and never had this problem,i think there is a fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #14
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

The way you wash your wheels isn't an issue. I use Final Inspection wheel cleaner on my wheels. I wash them once a week using the cleaner and dependant on use and weather, i often go over my wheels with a wet microfibre once or twice in between washes (I'm a bit anal!)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

ok well I had a chat to them on Wednesday and the service guy reckons that this is not actually a problem with the wheel itself therefor not a warranty claim. What he said is that sometimes stones flick up while driving and make minor cracks in the top layer and when water gets underneath it actually bubbles up then flakes off I am pretty annoyed as this should not happen on a BMW, even if a small pebble did hit the wheel does that mean its of such shit quality that it will crack or flake? Looks like there is not much I can do and I wont be paying them $200 to fix it so ill probably just get all 4 of them powder coated in gloss black instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #16
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
ok well I had a chat to them on Wednesday and the service guy reckons that this is not actually a problem with the wheel itself therefor not a warranty claim. What he said is that sometimes stones flick up while driving and make minor cracks in the top layer and when water gets underneath it actually bubbles up then flakes off I am pretty annoyed as this should not happen on a BMW, even if a small pebble did hit the wheel does that mean its of such shit quality that it will crack or flake? Looks like there is not much I can do and I wont be paying them $200 to fix it so ill probably just get all 4 of them powder coated in gloss black instead.
Bullshit.

Call them on it.

If he's willing to say that's the cause, then that should happen to nearly EVERY car.

It's a product fault and you call them on it. The reason he gave you makes you think he sees it every day, which, i'm sure he doesn't.

Plus it's on ONE wheel. ONE SINGLE WHEEL. Jesus dealers fucking piss me off.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:17 AM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Bullshit.

Call them on it.

If he's willing to say that's the cause, then that should happen to nearly EVERY car.

It's a product fault and you call them on it. The reason he gave you makes you think he sees it every day, which, i'm sure he doesn't.

Plus it's on ONE wheel. ONE SINGLE WHEEL. Jesus dealers fucking piss me off.
+111111111

Call their bluff. How come you're the only one with the issue? I have a GRAVEL driveway which is essentially made of pebbles and I don't have this issue.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #18
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Don't you love how BMW always have a way of getting out of things like this. Contact BMW Australia and file an official complaint. The worst of it is you gonna have an awesome looking 1er with black rims.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #19
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, I drive from my house to my warehouse every day for about 20 - 30 mins on the motorway but to be honest I cant even think of how a rock can hit those areas. How do I call them on it? I dont want to cause a problem between myself and this dealership because they are local to my work and I thought I had a good relationship with them lol. Should I try another dealership here in Brisbane first? I did get a txt a few mins ago from BMW asking how happy I was with my recent visit
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #20
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Don't you love how BMW always have a way of getting out of things like this. Contact BMW Australia and file an official complaint. The worst of it is you gonna have an awesome looking 1er with black rims.
Best I've heard is for my mum's X3 which had a shocking clunking sound at low speeds. The rear tyres were replaced from OEM since there was a puncture on one of them.

'Oh, it's normal because the tyres you put on the rears do not have the BMW star on them so it won't drive as well"....wat

One email later to BMW HQ and the transfer case + rear diff was replaced under warranty. No more clunking.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #21
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140

Quote:
Tell the dealer to pull their head in and stop being lazy. Stone chips my a$$. Can you imagine the convoluted sequence of events that would have to happen to get a stone ship in those places on your wheels. You have more chance of winning the lottery.

I had exactly the same thing happen - but much worse. The wheels are painted with 2 Pack, and like anything that's painted, if the seal isn't up to a standard, it will delaminate. I was told by my dealer that while they don't see it often, but they do see it occasionally.

I have used a number of the milder commercial wheel cleaners - Meguairs Non-Acid, and Mothers. The point is, I used it on all the wheels, and only one delaminated. So it must be a problem with that wheel.

BMW has a very strict process for warranty claims on wheels. The dealer has to take photos and send them to BMW in Melb, who will approve or decline. I've known them to replace wheels, but usually (and in my case), they paid to have it properly repaired. It looks good as new. But the beauty is, if the same wheel delaminated again due to poor repair, it's still their problem.

The dealer is being lazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #22
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

That sucks Matt. I would call them out on that one. I wouldn't be expecting new wheels but surely they can fix them for you.
Appreciate 0