BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Opinion - Buying vehicle from interstate

Hi guys,

I'm located in Perth and I'm interested in purchasing a car privately from interstates. I'm just wondering does anyone here have any experiences before, if so what is the process like? Should you fly over to see the car? How about checking the mechanical history and if it's there's any finance left on it? Also what about transferring the vehicle over?

For your interests, Im actually looking to purchase a Mk5 Golf R32 with extremely low km's which is impossible to find over here if so, at ridiculous prices.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I bought my car interstate. Granted it was in Canberra and I'm in Sydney so only seperated by a 4hour train ride.

If you're looking to purchase from the eastern states then I reckon:
- ask as many questions as possible to the seller to cover off on things like service history, accident history, tyre wear, general condition etc
- then negotiate the best price with the seller. No point going further if they aren't going to give it to you for the price you want
- you can check if there is finance owing via: http://www.revs.com.au/ or http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/
- vehicle inspections (which you'll most likely have to pay for, but negotiate and see what you can get) can be done at the dealer, an NRMA motorserve or somewhere like http://www.vehicleinspections.net.au/
- transport should be about $1k with insurance from coast to coast, can't remember which company gave that quote, but for starters try: http://www.auto-logistics.com.au/
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I bought my car interstate. Granted it was in Canberra and I'm in Sydney so only seperated by a 4hour train ride.

If you're looking to purchase from the eastern states then I reckon:
- ask as many questions as possible to the seller to cover off on things like service history, accident history, tyre wear, general condition etc
- then negotiate the best price with the seller. No point going further if they aren't going to give it to you for the price you want
- you can check if there is finance owing via: http://www.revs.com.au/ or http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/
- vehicle inspections (which you'll most likely have to pay for, but negotiate and see what you can get) can be done at the dealer, an NRMA motorserve or somewhere like http://www.vehicleinspections.net.au/
- transport should be about $1k with insurance from coast to coast, can't remember which company gave that quote, but for starters try:http://www.auto-logistics.com.au/
Thanks so much mate!

I'll give your guideline a try and see what I can do! How about going through interstate dealers? If there's one which costs afew grand more is it worth spending the extra to go that way? I presume it would be an safer and easier experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm sure that forum members would be willing to help out by having a look/drive on your behalf.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

I bought my car interstate. I flew SYD - MEL to take a look myself and bought it on the spot. I've done that before too.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye 135i View Post
I'm sure that forum members would be willing to help out by having a look/drive on your behalf.
That would be nice too if you guys don't mind! Does anyone here have any experience with the Mk5 R32? Would be even better if You driven one before. However I don't mind flying to see it if it's a must, but let me make a few phone calls in the morning first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I bought my car interstate. I flew SYD - MEL to take a look myself and bought it on the spot. I've done that before too.
Thought about going there to buy it and driving it back.... It would be one he'll of a journey tho from east to west. Probably more logical to just train the vehicle over here.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
Thought about going there to buy it and driving it back.... It would be one he'll of a journey tho from east to west. Probably more logical to just train the vehicle over here.
I had mine delivered via carrier. CEVA logistics.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
That would be nice too if you guys don't mind! Does anyone here have any experience with the Mk5 R32? Would be even better if You driven one before. However I don't mind flying to see it if it's a must, but let me make a few phone calls in the morning first.

I had a Mk5 GTi. To call it rubbish would be the understatement on the century and frankly insulting to all things rubbish. Badly built, underpowered, leaked, rattled, smokey. Handled quite well I must say.

Mine was built in Africa - diabolically poor quality. R32 built in Europe which is marginally better (my Jap cars, as boring as they are, a beautifully built).

VW Australia - wow! Arrogance and indifference personified! Avoid all things VAG!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Avoid all things VAG!
Avoid vag? lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Avoid vag? lol.
In the UK (which is where I'm from), VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group.

In Oz, I suspect is slang for heaven :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
I had a Mk5 GTi. To call it rubbish would be the understatement on the century and frankly insulting to all things rubbish. Badly built, underpowered, leaked, rattled, smokey. Handled quite well I must say.

Mine was built in Africa - diabolically poor quality. R32 built in Europe which is marginally better (my Jap cars, as boring as they are, a beautifully built).

VW Australia - wow! Arrogance and indifference personified! Avoid all things VAG!
Wow it's probably the first time I heard negative comments on the mk5 golf. I've driven on one and I must say it felt reasonably good. Build quality isn't bad either but it was a new one I tried on.

I have slight knowledge on the R32, I know it's built better than the GTi and obviously a beast yet to be unleashed. Are you sure that it wasn't just bad luck on your golf? Or is it a common issue? I do know VW aus can be bunch of dickheads, well at least the dealer i went had awful service.

However thanks for the advice, I'll defiantly make sure it's in good shape before i throw my money on one.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Honny, there's another thread by Fat Joe or something, on this exact same thing. There was some really good info on there and some great insights. Might be worth taking peek.
      06-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Honny, there's another thread by Fat Joe or something, on this exact same thing. There was some really good info on there and some great insights. Might be worth taking peek.
Cheers I'll go look for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #14
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Are you looking at the blue R32 DSG with low k's for 36.5k on carsales right now? previously written off as hail damage?
Looks like good value, my girlfriend actually showed me the link cause she got tempted by it lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
previously written off as hail damage?
You might want to check whether it can be insured because after the mother-of-all-hailstorms in Perth last year I heard cars written off as hail damaged were having insurance issues purely because they had been written off.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Honny
Captain
Rep

It's just over $40,000 with roughly 19000km on the clock. Im not sure if it's the one you are referring to bmroxm5 but I doubt it.

Andre, I'll make sure to dig deep on the vehicles history before i buy it, I don't want a hailed car fixed or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
Lima
vorsprung durch technik
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY10 Audi S3

Quote:
Wow it's probably the first time I heard negative comments on the mk5 golf. I've driven on one and I must say it felt reasonably good. Build quality isn't bad either but it was a new one I tried on.

I have slight knowledge on the R32, I know it's built better than the GTi and obviously a beast yet to be unleashed. Are you sure that it wasn't just bad luck on your golf? Or is it a common issue? I do know VW aus can be bunch of dickheads, well at least the dealer i went had awful service.

However thanks for the advice, I'll defiantly make sure it's in good shape before i throw my money on one.
FWIW I have had a Mk4 GTI (South Africa) and currently have a Mk5 GTI 3dr (Germany) and an Audi S3 (Germany); all VAG products obviously and all have had no dramas.

I know there has been a few minor issues/complaints with some Mk5s, but ours has been faultless and is actually at least as well built as the S3, if not better, even if its materials aren't quite a match for the Audi (although very bloody close).

I have a few rattles in my 1980 Mk1 GTI, though, if that counts, haha.

You'll be fine with the R32.
      06-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Honny
Captain
Rep

Thanks for everyone's comments, the guy isn't willing to commit selling the vehicle interstates. Which isn't exactly bad because I saw a EVOX for less money in Perth
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Mmm didn't like the evox at all. Was looking at it before getting the 135. The turbo lag was painful
Appreciate 0