BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

1M Suspension

So far the only quibble I have about the 1M relates to the suspension. As I've commented in other posts, I believe the 1M suspension has been set up a little too stiff/unforgiving. And IMO cars like the 911 demonstrate this is not necessary to achieve brilliant handling.

This new post off the 1M board perhaps provides some supporting evidence:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546010

For those who haven't heard of them, Sportauto are considered the definitive lap time reviewers in Europe. A few quotes from their 1M review:

"At the Nürburgring things were a bit different though. The 1M did pretty well and had the lap done in 8 minutes 15 seconds, thus beating the 987.5 Porsche Cayman S by 2 seconds and the Audi RS 3 by no less than 5 seconds. However, Sportauto felt like the 1M could have been even faster if it wasn't for the stiff suspension that didn't seem to work perfectly on certain bumpy sections of the Nurburgring. "

"Considering BMW didn't bring UHP tires, 8:15 isn't a bad laptime. The Hockenheim laptimes in which the 1M beat the stronger M3 however suggested a better result. All the 1M needs is a more fitting (meaning softer) [suspension] setup. This wouldn't have hurt it at Hockenheim, improve traction, and -- at the same time -- make the ride more compliant for daily use."

Verdict:
The 1-series M Coupé fits perfectly in this day and age and makes for a great daily driver. It's the smallest M ever and its amazing 3-liter biturbo engine pulls strongly. This inline-6 reflects all you've ever expected from a company called Bavarian Motor Works. The car fits well into the iconic lineup of former M cars which have built BMW M's strong image.

A design this bold might not be for everyone, yet it should work well for the 1M's target group. The suspension has its downsides: A bit too stiff for day-to-day use, and not as good as it could be for the Ring. Still, this is a car you'd want to have.

Clarkson on the 1M

Last edited by NPVPositive; 06-17-2011 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I disagree. 911 (and M3) is only slightly softer, and that is only because they have variable dampers. Btw, GT3 suspension is way harder than a standard 911, and that is the most extreme of 911s. For the road or bumpy tracks like the ring, it makes sense to have softer suspension. For example, on certain mountain roads I know very well, the GT3 would skip all over the bumps and would have been faster if the suspension was softer. My Spyder on the other hand would soak up the bumps and be as fast as the GT3 even though it has less power. Take them to a smooth track though, and anything short of the stiffest setting on the GT3 suspension feels soft.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I disagree. 911 (and M3) is only slightly softer, and that is only because they have variable dampers. Btw, GT3 suspension is way harder than a standard 911, and that is the most extreme of 911s. For the road or bumpy tracks like the ring, it makes sense to have softer suspension. For example, on certain mountain roads I know very well, the GT3 would skip all over the bumps and would have been faster if the suspension was softer. My Spyder on the other hand would soak up the bumps and be as fast as the GT3 even though it has less power. Take them to a smooth track though, and anything short of the stiffest setting on the GT3 suspension feels soft.

Agree with you Way. But I don't think BMW has marketed the 1M as a vehicle that is "hard core" track ready like the GT3 or GT2. After all, our 1M comes loaded with Sat Nav, blue tooth, electric seats, etc, etc.

BMW has positioned the 1M as a brilliant "jack of all trades" which makes a good daily driver and can also be taken on the track . . . much like the base 911.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Bit of a noob question but does the 1M come with RFT's?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
No, it has PS2.

I will just have to wait and see when I get the car and I can start commenting . Only thoughts are moving back to 18s?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
All non-M cars come with RFT's. All M cars come with real tyres
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I haven't driven the 1M but I'd have to go with WAY given his track experience with numerous cars. I would have thought a few of the 1M owners actually upgrading to KW's to stiffen it up even more if needed
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
Agree with you Way. But I don't think BMW has marketed the 1M as a vehicle that is "hard core" track ready like the GT3 or GT2. After all, our 1M comes loaded with Sat Nav, blue tooth, electric seats, etc, etc.

BMW has positioned the 1M as a brilliant "jack of all trades" which makes a good daily driver and can also be taken on the track . . . much like the base 911.
NPV, keep in mind that Aus BMW usually ticks most boxes for Aus delivered cars, EU and US get more of a stripped car than us, much like the new Pure Ed M3 that was recently released. Our volumes make it difficult to offer such a car, besides mugs like me want as much "stuff" as available on the menu. More standard options means higher RRP which assists their justification on pricing.

Bottom line is that the 1M was a last minute/parts bin idea, and it has worked bloody well all things considered. I am happy with it, and yes the ride is a harsher than the M3 is in its normal setting but hey it was $70,000 cheaper.

I say enjoy it now then wait for the M2, which will be better as evolution normally means that it will be, but is still 2 years away.

Last edited by Alpine*; 06-17-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

If the 1M's were adjustable shocks I would say that they need a click or two softer with compression damping from the current setting, particularly the front end. Try a static test by just pressing down with your body weight and you'll see. Not conclusive by any means but it does show the compression stiffness. Rebound seems fine. Anti roll is the best part of the setup. Difficult to say about springs with shock compression as it is.

We need some suspension gurus to sort the 1M for real world Aussie conditions, not racetracks or autobahns.

Alpine - how does the the 1M compare to your M3? I know yours is adjustable; would the 1M be equivalent to the stiffest setting?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post

I say enjoy it now then wait for the M2, which will be better as evolution normally means that it will be, but is still 2 years away.

Don't worry Alpine, I'm definitely enjoying it! In fact, I'm finally off to take some photos today.

I just think potential buyers--particularly those planning to use the 1M as their daily driver-- should be aware that it is a stiff/unforgiving ride, even more so that an M3. If they live in an area with bad roads then they will know about it in the 1M.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
Dabofoppo
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i Performance Edition

Michael Taylor raised an interesting article in 'Motor' in the last year or so regarding the development of suspension systems amongst German car companies.

BMW utilises largely very smooth roads in/around Munich and the surrounds of Bavaria, subsequently developed consequently stiff suspension set-ups with run-flats use. Whereas Porsche tends to use the back roads of Stuttgart ( and even have a length piece of very bad surfaced road which they use exclusively ) to develop their cars.
Further, the guy that is it's current chassis development head ( Andreas Preuninger ) came from Ford Europe - and for the last few years they have produced some of the best mixes of road holding/ride comfort cars available on the mass market.

Having said all that, it is a bit much to expect that a short wheel-base car, with non-adjustable dampers and 19 inch rims was going to anything less than 'stiff' in it's ride.

At the end of the day, I think most people who buy this car are wanting it to involve them a bit at road speeds ( perhaps even get a little scared by it ) and aren't naive that it will be stiff, especially if you driving a 1 series already...

The best articles so far I have read is the one by Richard Meaden in 'Evo' and especially the one by Ollie Marriage in 'Top Gear' magazine - he highlighted the desirability of this car so well.

I cannot wait to get my 1M

Last edited by Dabofoppo; 06-19-2011 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
This new post off the 1M board perhaps provides some supporting evidence:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546010

For those who haven't heard of them, Sportauto are considered the definitive lap time reviewers in Europe. A few quotes from their 1M review:

"At the Nürburgring things were a bit different though. The 1M did pretty well and had the lap done in 8 minutes 15 seconds, thus beating the 987.5 Porsche Cayman S by 2 seconds and the Audi RS 3 by no less than 5 seconds.
Renault Megane R.S. Trophy did the 'Ring in a time of 8:07.79 with just 265BHP on tap

Audi TT-RS Coupe 8:09
BMW E60 M5 8:13
Alpina B3 Biturbo 8:14
BMW 1M Coupe 8:15
      06-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
I just think potential buyers--particularly those planning to use the 1M as their daily driver-- should be aware that it is a stiff/unforgiving ride, even more so that an M3. If they live in an area with bad roads then they will know about it in the 1M.
Could it be any more harsh and jittery than the 135i convertible on run flats?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

It's definitely stiffer than the 135i, but much more planted. The ride is tight enough that rattles will occur if there is anything lying loose in the cockpit. All that said though it is way better than my Z4. Personally I could see it marginally softer, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it harder!

By way of illustration there is a main road near me that has a particularly badly repaired lane for about half a kilometer. I used to drive along it without particular concern in the 135, but today in the 1M I made a mental note to avoid it in the future. Simply too rough. Overall however I find it taught, but not uncomfortable.

My concern if it was softer is what the price would be in other areas. The thing has awe-inspiring grip. It really does. And it corners absolutely flat. It just begs to be flogged!! I absolutely love the thing!!

Last edited by lavaletta; 06-19-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaletta View Post
It's definitely stiffer than the 135i, but much more planted. The ride is tight enough that rattles will occur if there is anything lying loose in the cockpit. All that said though it is way better than my Z4. Personally I could see it marginally softer, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it harder!

By way of illustration there is a main road near me that has a particularly badly repaired lane for about half a kilometer. I used to drive along it without particular concern in the 135, but today in the 1M I made a mental note to avoid it in the future. Simply too rough. Overall however I find it taught, but not uncomfortable.

My concern if it was softer is what the price would be in other areas. The thing has awe-inspiring grip. It really does. And it corners absolutely flat. It just begs to be flogged!! I absolutely love the thing!!

Went for a drive in the 1M yesterday arvo (in the passenger seat of course ) and discussed the topic of the suspension with the owner, we agreed that it was at least as hard as her previous car, a TTS, and that was without turning on Audi's Magnetic Ride Supension.

The other thing that I have also thought about was that the factory standard wheels on the M3 are in actual fact 18's, my guess is that those wheels on a 1M, which by the way would look a treat IMO as they are dark grey factory in colour, would/could also assist in the ride department and would also server as a much cheaper track alternative. I would love to see a 1M with those fitted, I haven't seen one as yet.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabofoppo View Post
Michael Taylor raised an interesting article in 'Motor' in the last year or so regarding the development of suspension systems amongst German car companies.

BMW utilises largely very smooth roads in/around Munich and the surrounds of Bavaria, subsequently developed consequently stiff suspension set-ups with run-flats use. Whereas Porsche tends to use the back roads of Stuttgart ( and even have a length piece of very bad surfaced road which they use exclusively ) to develop their cars.
Further, the guy that is it's current chassis development head ( Andreas Preuninger ) came from Ford Europe - and for the last few years they have produced some of the best mixes of road holding/ride comfort cars available on the mass market.
Thanks for that. I've never read that article but having owned many recent Porsches and BMWs I could certainly see that reflecting through.

I've thought about this thread and what the OP of this thread have said. Sounds like to me that there may be some misconception as to the positioning of this car. I beleive BMW built the 1M with one eye on the E30 M3, which is a no compromise sports coupe. Of course, in the 2010s, that does not mean a car as raw as the E30 as only a handful of people would buy that. What the OP described is actually the positioning of the E9x M3 as opposed to a 1M. BMW set that that car out to be an all rounder that is capable of comfortable and pratical daily use but at the same time be devastatingly quick at the flick of a button (if you set up the button right that is lol). I really don't believe the 1M was ever set up to do that. It's not meant to be the M3 of 1 series, or the Golf GTI of coupes. I think that it is meant to be a no nonsense raw (ish) sports coupe in the spirit of the earlier M3s.
Appreciate 0