BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

01-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Snowflake Thing? Also Washer Fluid?

I know its probably in the manual but I figured it'd just be easier to ask you guys.

When I turn the car on theres a snowflake looking thing that comes of on the screen in the cluster. What does that mean? Also, it says I need to put washer fluid in. Is there a special type I should use that is BMW approved like the oil that we have to to use?
      01-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB PELICAN View Post
I know its probably in the manual but I figured it'd just be easier to ask you guys.

When I turn the car on theres a snowflake looking thing that comes of on the screen in the cluster. What does that mean? Also, it says I need to put washer fluid in. Is there a special type I should use that is BMW approved like the oil that we have to to use?

Your manual will tell you that the dash snowflake icon comes on when the outside temp is 37o or lower - time to mount your winter tires.

As it seems to perform very well, I get my washer fluid in concentrated form from my dealer, but any wiper fluid will do.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
The manual says the snowflake is an informational alert notifying you that conditions outside are cold enough for ice to appear on the roads.

However, you know its cold outside because you had to go outside to get to your car, unless you're a lucky one to have a connected garage. So I like to refer to that dumb warning as the "Its too f'in cold outside alert".

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
So I like to refer to that dumb warning as the "Its too f'in cold outside alert".
lol, thanks guys.
      01-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

RTFMDA
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

It means you are cool as ice!
So when you drive around make sure you flash various gang signs and every time you pull up next to a soccer mom rocking the minivan with the screaming pigmy cannibals in the back roll down your window and scream
"I'm cool as ice bitches check out my fing snow flake!"

Or it can simply mean that the temperature is sufficiently low such that an exothermic condition may occur where by H2O molecules will form a crystal lattice which not only can sufficiently chill ones Jin and Tonic due to an exothermic reaction but also reduce traction between your tires and the tarmac on which your car sits.

As for the wind shield washer fluid? Well I suggest a single barrel...maybe a nice 14 year old vintage? Not because it's the in thing to do but rather because I like how it tastes.

All the above is sarcasm do not drink wind shield washer fluid no matter it's age!
Just drive carefully when you see the snow flake sign and give the car an extra min to warm up. And don't fill the washer tank with 100% water or it will burst due to freezing...alcohol prevents freezing by lowering the waters freezing point.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
RTFMDA
meh.

if you dont have anything productive to tell me then id appreciate if you didn't post. Your simply wasting your time because to be completely honest, I dont care. Thanks!
      01-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
chili555
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT coupe

Quote:
The manual says the snowflake is an informational alert notifying you that conditions outside are cold enough for ice to appear on the roads.
Whaaa?? My wife told me it means, "It's chilly now, please put the top up."
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Relevant screen name! Nice!
I went through this the other day and it took me 5 minutes to find it in the manual. I wish there was a "symbol glossary" because honestly that's what the manual is going to be used for 99% of the time. As in wtf is this symbol telling me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
Quote:
Whaaa?? My wife told me it means, "It's chilly now, please put the top up."
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurEinser View Post
I went through this the other day and it took me 5 minutes to find it in the manual. I wish there was a "symbol glossary" because honestly that's what the manual is going to be used for 99% of the time. As in wtf is this symbol telling me!
Sounds like you have iDrive/Nav. Download the non-iDrive 2008 Manual from BMWUSA.com which contains a 9 page "Indicator and Warning Lamp" listing with icons.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurEinser View Post
Sounds like you have iDrive/Nav. Download the non-iDrive 2008 Manual from BMWUSA.com which contains a 9 page "Indicator and Warning Lamp" listing with icons.

Tom
Thanks Tom! Will do!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The snowflake is particularly annoying when the ambient temperature is right around 37. I was driving from my home in central SC to the BMW Performance Center near Greenville, SC in November 2010 and got the snowflake at the bottom of each hill on the interstate. The temperature on the top of the hill was above 37 and it was below on the bottom.

The only significant thing the Performance Center missed on delivery of my 128i vert in 2009 was windshield washer fluid. I did not notice until I got home so I just dumped in what I had on hand. Works fine. BMW sells some concentrate for their fluid and it is probably good stuff but I've continued to use what I use in my SUV. I like the stuff that has water repellant in it. Seems to help the wipers clear the windshield better.

Jim
      01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
meh.

if you dont have anything productive to tell me then id appreciate if you didn't post. Your simply wasting your time because to be completely honest, I dont care. Thanks!
Now kids! Settle down before someone gets hurt!
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

Quote:
RTFMDA
STFU?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Someone doesn't like my posts, thats awesome. Welcome to the board and internet. Learn to read your manual. Thats kinda common sense when you have a car. Plus windshield washer fluid is a no brainer, get the type that will work best for you in your area.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

You buy a car and don't even have the sense to read for an hour or so and learn all the features.

I am always fascinated by this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You buy a car and don't even have the sense to read for an hour or so and learn all the features.

I am always fascinated by this behavior.
Everyone settle down, obviously I've read the manual... I simply forgot or skipped this. I dont see what the big deal is with asking a question about it, isn't that what forums are for? I even said I know its in the manual in my OP...

But hey if you want me to go pick you up some tampons for your period then let me know and I'd be more than happy too.
      01-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #18
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:

But hey if you want me to go pick you up some tampons for your period then let me know and I'd be more than happy too.
Please and
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I dont see what the big deal is with asking a question about it, isn't that what forums are for?
Forums are for asking questions, sure, but they just get effin cluttered with posts like this and eventually get to a point where they are worthless. Any searches get 10x the hits they deserve, and anyone that knows the answers to questions eventually just leaves town after they've given those answers a hundred times.

Quote:
I even said I know its in the manual in my OP...
Which really does nothing more than indicate how lazy you are. I'm kind of amazed you got any answers at all besides RTFM. I mod & admin other forums and maybe they're just full of assholes but that's all you'd have gotten there.

Quote:
Come up with clever replies while you care enough to. Sooner or later you'll join the crowd of "OMFG here's another asshole that even flat out admits he's too lazy to search, can we just ban him?".
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Guys don't get your panties in a twist.....that's for the strippers to do....and boy is it ever sexy!
Relax!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
meh.

This is the comment that started it all. What do expect from a board that has all the answer's you need and a manual that comes with the car (which you can download by the way because I know you dont know). Make a thread about something as simple as this and want people to answer you without question. Phh, come on. If you were to do this on another forum I visit, you would NOT got the answer you wanted except people telling you to search or read the damn manual. Then the mods would delete your thread or lock it.

Now, if you post a legit thread about say.....OMG, my passenger seat just came off the rails. Then, all is well. But please, something simple as this next time. Forums do not need to be flooded with rhetorical threads. Stop being unindustrious.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
SPB PELICAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

guys chill haha you all just sound like trolls. If the fact that i asked you all pisses you off that much than all you have to do is press the back button and get off the thread. Some people were nice enough to tell me, and thanks for those of you that did. mods if im really "flooding with rhetorical threads" than please delete this, I've gotten my answer. Im tired of getting notifications of computer gangsters trying to tell me that I'm in the wrong for asking a question.