BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
AshOz125i
Private
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 1er

Contemplating a move to Polo GTI

Hey all,

Well it's been in my head for a while now, don't use the 125 as much as I used to. Moving to Brisbane from Canberra changed my vehicle usage to every day to only weekends.

Contemplating selling and moving into a my13.5 polo gti as its more practical, cheaper insurance, cheaper repayments and leas fuel usage. Prob looking to trade in but that really depends on what offer I can get.

With some of the vw horror stories going around I'm still double guessing myself. Main query is, I don't want to trade down for cost savings and find I end up with way more headaches due to reliability. Hence looking into the my13.5 as it has the CTHE engine.

Need some advice ATM, would probably not keep the polo outside of the 3 year warranty. Arghh it's doing my head in, I love the 125 but it really is just sitting there most days costing me more money which is hard to justify based on its usage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

OZ Polo GTI's are made in either Spain or Mexico. I drove my friends MY12 Polo GTI, if you are coming from a 125 then expect to be disappointed.
They only come in DSG. The previous manual Polo GTI was fun to drive with its 1.8T engine and overall feel, looked like a toy though. Anyhow good luck.
      09-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
OZ Polo GTI's are made in either Spain or Mexico. I drove my friends MY12 Polo GTI, if you are coming from a 125 then expect to be disappointed.
They only come in DSG. The previous manual Polo GTI was fun to drive with its 1.8T engine and overall feel, looked like a toy though. Anyhow good luck.
DSG kills the fun a bit.. but the 1.4TSI has a ton of poke being twincharged and responds to basic mods+tune pretty well - should be a bit quicker than the 125 with mods (and about the same without) albeit FWD
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

This is probably one of those times when it pays to sit down with a spreadsheet, and work it all out, being brutally realistic on the resale value of your present ride. I have a sneaking suspicion that dollar-wise, there won't be much in the deal, and you'll certainly drop in driver satisfaction. If you're only driving your 125i at the weekends, it will likely last forever, and you'll have the satisfaction that you're driving a car with BMW's ultimate expression of the naturally aspirated straight 6. The N52 is simply one gorgeous motor.

Put it another way, would you rather drive to the Goldie or the Sunny in a 125i or a Polo on the weekends?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

I have a early MY12.5 Polo GTI that i have had for almost 2 years as my daily drive that both i and wifey drive . Currently about 18,000km on it

Bad stuff:
The MY12.5 had the new rings and I have still had oil usage issues.
I've had to do 2 oil consumption tests to prove there was a problem. i.e Over 1L oil used in 1000KM. The first time they said the seal was broken (BS i think they were stalling) and the second time they accepted there was an issue. To fix the problem they have put some new breather hoses on but i suspect this was just to reduce the symptoms to get it under their acceptable oil usage. BTW that is 800ml per 1000KM.
I think a combination of the hoses and the fact they motor is finally run after about 15,000km it has finally dropped to about 1L every 3000km. I can't comment on the MY13+ models.

The dry clutch DSG is not that great at under 10-20kph. Sometime you get a smooth takeoff from a standstill and other times it is like a race launch. It is hard to predict and seams worse on up hill starts. Also the gear shift up and down is the wrong way around but the paddles make up for that slightly.

Boot space is limited as the batter sits under the space saver in the boot. The lower models have the battery under the bonnet.

I've used the Northshore VW service centre for my first couple of services and the warrantly work and find them ordinary at best. VW service's first reaction is to dismiss any problems until you complain again and again. Services are not cheap for what you get. I've also used fivedock VW and they are the same.

Good stuff.
It is great fun to drive when you start pressing on over 6/10ths. More fun and handles better than the MKV Golf GTI i owned before just because it is lighter in the front end.
I have the leatherette seats and they are supportive and hold you in better than the std leather seats in the 130.

At normal road speeds (say 60KPH along the old pac or Putty) i'd almost say it is more enjoyable than my 130i with Bilstein's and all the M3 bits as the 130 handles so well that you are not getting anywhere nears its handling potential. Under-steer is non-existent unless you are powering out of a corner with the ESP off. Off throttle it is very neutral and lift of overseer is predicable.

I love my manual 130 but also love the DSG in manual mode when driving harder than normal.

Summary : i think the car is great fun but the VW service spoils the ownership experience and once it comes time to replace the Polo i'd be reluctant to buy another VW unless there was some exceptional reason to buy one.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Suggestion, re finance the 125 instead of buying a new polo.

OR buy a Fiesta ST in lieu of the polo, the DSG in the polo GTi is a dry clutch setup and, as mentioned above, it is very unpredictable at takeoff. Try reversing up into a garage and it is just dangerous! Nothing nothing BANG it takes off, scary shit.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
Linwe
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 120i E87

What about a Volvo S30 with a proven 5-cyl Turbo 2.5L. Goes like the clappers for a pretty affordable price. I guess you got to love the shape and dull interior though...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Keep BMW instead of spending money on trading the car to new one. Anyhow 1er is even more comfortable than Golf not talking about POLO.
1er is RWD 50:50 balanced car with really nice reliable NA engine it will become classic one day.

Or go to VAG forums and ask there for advice. I think most of us will tell you to keep BMW ultimate driving machine
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Had a MkV R32 before the 1er. As someone said before, VW servicing and customer service left a lot to be desired and is the main thing that turned me away and bought another bmw instead.

Had issues with the dsg and after multiple visits to austral vw, they have made more issues than they fixed.

Last edited by ansch; 09-09-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

you got to be kidding me, why would you do that to yourself?
      09-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Missus and I have been driving Golfs and 3 Series respectively since 1990. I would never drop a bimmer for a dub - build, finish, ambience, engines (other than VW V6), quality, etc etc. Polo GTIs are step down from Golf GTIs, Rs etc. When the Polo new car smell disappears, you may long for your bimmer. If you only drive over weekends, can't knock back a bimmer for a Polo.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

To be deadly honest, if I were you, I wouldn't even think about it. I drove a mk6 golf gti for ~2 months after I got my P's (found out it was restricted later lol), thought it was a wonderful car. After we sold it, I got the 125i, and as much as a good little car the golf was, pretty much every aspect of the 125i is better. The two biggest things for me was the FWD and 4banger. You're gonna miss the smoothness of the N52 and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
AshOz125i
Private
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 1er

Wow all, first off thank you for all your comments and feedback it really is appreciated.

I actually forgot to mention one of the main reasons for looking into this was the practicality factor I.e 2 vs 4 doors. I received a initial changeover quote yesterday based on paying out the $15k finance on the 125 and I wasn't impressed, however you have to expect as much doing a trade quote.

I'm in no rush to sell the car so I'm not gonna jump into anything. It's just one of a couple of options, the other being selling both my partners 2012 swift sport and the 125 and just buying a single vehicle that suits us both but that's only just a thought still.

Thanks again for the wisdom, I will definitely not jump into anything. I will let everyone know what I end up doing once we have surveyed all the options

Ash
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

Not sure what a 4 door polo offers that a 125 can't. Access is a minor hurdle. I carry 2 kids in mine and its well worth the very minor unconvinced to get them in the back.

Vw service is terrible. Our 2007 passat had a laundry list of problems. Suspension, electric park break, even an engine rebuild at 48k km and off the road for 2 months. X3 eats it in every way except price.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Listen, I recently test drove a Polo GTI and had high hopes for it as a daily get around car that was cheap to run.

But I found the ride choppy and the space inside too cramped. I disliked the position of the centre console armrest and found the lack of plastic trim on the rear hatch interior just plain cheap.

A 125i much better option in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Rattling Wastegate

Avoid VW like the plague if you're in Canberra. Only 2 dealers and both of them suck for dealing with warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I had a MkV Golf GTI DCT prior to my E88 135i and whilst I loved the car, it was a wealth of headaches in terms of electrical glitches. Changed radio stations randomly whilst still displaying the same station (made it almost unbearable to listen to the radio), rain and light sensors just did their own random thing, windows rolled down whenever I turned off the car (sometimes 1, 2, 3 or 4). Of course they were all "intermittent" faults that couldn't be reproduced so most were never fixed. I had the radio replaced twice and the third radio did the same thing and they refused to repair it again saying it should have been replaced the first two times... The mechatronics unit on the DCT box also failed and needed replacing.

Loved the car, hated the issues and the warranty headaches.
      09-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #18
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Just to add some balance, I've had (2) VWs - MKV GTI manual & MKVI Golf R with DSG. Never had an issue with either of them despite driving them pretty hard, they performed well and I got great enjoyment from both.

I went for my current 135i for a different driving experience, not necessarily better.

Having said that, my son-in-law has a new Polo (not the GTI) and has had some issues with the DSG. Luck of the draw I guess...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
Linwe
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 120i E87

Just out of curiosity, for all the VW problems people have had in their experience, would that extends to Audi's as well? Are they built better down below as well as up top or same sorts of problems?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #20
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
Just out of curiosity, for all the VW problems people have had in their experience, would that extends to Audi's as well? Are they built better down below as well as up top or same sorts of problems?
There have been heaps of issues with '08-12 Audi 2L petrol turbo's - they burn oil. The 1.8L petrol turbo and turbo diesels are ok though (I had a b8 a4 for 5 months recently)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #21
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Rattling Wastegate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwe View Post
Anecdotally, a friend who owned a MkVI GTI and a A3 2.0T said the service/warranty support via Audi was much better than that of VW, which made problems more bearable on the A3.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
ozimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i Coupe

Having previously owned a MkV Golf GTI DSG (few problems, but lousy VW service) and an Audi B6 A4 (a number of electrical problems, but addressed efficiently by the dealer) I would call it a tie. Part of the reason I am now on this forum.

Even so, I retain a soft spot for VAG interiors and design, so I may be tempted back in future...
Appreciate 0