BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

This article was the cover story of my...

local motoring section this morning. The paper is the Hartford Courant. I almost threw up my breakfast after reading it. Is the One series really that ugly? Come on now! Personally I don't find the 3 series that much more attractive if even more attractive at all. Guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. Two days in a row, two crappy reviews as far as aesthetics go. I know I shouldn't let it bother me because I love my car but it still hurts! Wah! ha. This may have been posted earlier so sorry if it was. For some reason my newspaper likes to outsource some of its stories and it just made this weeks paper.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,2091740.story

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
knightps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I couldn't get past the first paragraph.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

meh...

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

It's just the LA Times review being re-hashed. I'm pretty sure it's already been posted. This guy, along with a few other reviewers is simply trying to stir things up by going against the grain.

It boggles my mind that they don't understand that we don't all NEED a big car, and want the performance gains that come with something smaller.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It's just the LA Times review being re-hashed. I'm pretty sure it's already been posted. This guy, along with a few other reviewers is simply trying to stir things up by going against the grain.

It boggles my mind that they don't understand that we don't all NEED a big car, and want the performance gains that come with something smaller.
Exactly! If I wanted a bigger car and slightly less performance (and a me too car) then I would have gotten a 3 series. From an entry level standpoint the 128i nicely equipped is a relatively good buy. Where else can you get a 230hp RWD car for under $32K nicely equipped with BMW style and performance? The 135i should be viewed as a performance buy and not a lesser version of a 3 series. I don't think BMW built this car to be a 3 series competitor. Why would they build a car to compete against it's number one volume selling car? The One series is marketed to a whole different type of buyer, one that happens to be me and the majority here!

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Doolab
Private
Rep
Drives: '96 Maxima SE 5MT, '04 MB E500

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppebmw View Post
local motoring section this morning. The paper is the Hartford Courant. I almost threw up my breakfast after reading it. Is the One series really that ugly? Come on now! Personally I don't find the 3 series that much more attractive if even more attractive at all. Guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. Two days in a row, two crappy reviews as far as aesthetics go. I know I shouldn't let it bother me because I love my car but it still hurts! Wah! ha. This may have been posted earlier so sorry if it was. For some reason my newspaper likes to outsource some of its stories and it just made this weeks paper.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,2091740.story

To quote this Dan Neil character:

"It's all about the engine: The two turbos are plumbed sequentially so that the small, low-inertia turbo is always spinning and the larger one is ready to pinwheel as rpm climbs, which means engine response is immediate and immense."

Is there a reward that's given for clueless journalists? This guy deserves something...

He obviously is talking about something he knows very little about. Or almost nothing. The N54 is NOT sequentially turbocharged with small/large turbos... Shows how clueless he is about messy/greasy cars, and how much his opinion on sheetmetal matters....

And since he's based most of his article on his opinion of the looks of the car, then he'd better go opine about things that people care to hear him chatter about, like women's nail polish shades and makeup... That way his opinion could count for something...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
young1er
1st Class
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

He thinks the car is cramped on the inside? well he must be 6' 7" and weight 450 or something crazy like that. I'm 6'1" and it is quite adequate
      04-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

WOW, again another bashing article. This is really cracking me up. Sure its stubby looking, but not ugly. Sure its not light, but how many cars in the USA are? My Civic Si weighs 2950#, a GTI hatchback weighs 3151#.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I was surprised by how spacious the interior was.

He complains that it is not a "poor man's BMW". Nobody said it was. Get over it. It isn't.

Call me "Mamma"
      04-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

First..no grain as been established....sales figures in the future will decide the grain.

Second...is this really any different then when the first E90's were reviewed. Many of them said the car was ugly.

Did they stop the E90 series from being another great success for BMW?

You guys got to chill out. Not everyone is going to love the car. WTF cares what one guy thinks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Buckwheat you are correct but it is still annoying to wake up and see this big article in your facing bashing something you love! It just gives us something to talk or laugh about! No big deal.

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Yes, this is a reprint of the original LA times review by Dan Neil, here is the original thread about the article:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5454
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
shef175
Rep
Drives:

It seems like this guy is bashing the car simply because it doesn't match HIS opinion or expectations of what a smaller BMW should be. I've read pretty much every review that I can get my hands on and he's in the minority. Although, if there is anything people do say negative things about, it's the looks.

I personally love the way the car looks, so I'm not going to pay too much attention to what some asshat newspaper writer thinks about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
europlane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My sense of aesthetics must be at 90 degrees to the majority!

I bought the BMW 1 firstly because I found it very beautiful when I first saw it on display this January in an european aeroport. I found it to look a little like an alpha romeo julietta from the 60's.

But when I also bought one of the first GTI -which I thought it was really nice looking-the salesman said, "if you like it, it is a plus", as implying the car was a nice handling car but not good looking.
Then I bought an Alpha Romeo Milano Quadrofogllio (4 leaf clover-kind of the M car of alpha) everyone also said it was a goood car but ugly! -Again I thought it was beautiful. Then I bought a Volvo 850, which to me looked a little like the Milano, and all the papers said it was ugly. Then I bought an Audi A4 and everyone said it was beautiful, but to me it looked like nothing special. Not in the league of the alpha, for sure.

It must be an european sense of aesthetics that it is different than the american-although I have been in the USA almost all my life.

And by the way, I didn't read this review at all. What for?

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
SCA1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 coming soon...

I think this is happening because many BMW drivers like big, cushy cars. When this One comes out of nowhere that doesn't fit the traits that such folks think a BMW should have, they can't handle it. They feel like their car world is spinning out of control .

As for me, I can't understand the "ugly" comments from some people. It has many of the traditional BMW elements to its design. Its just a little more stout. While it isn't a Ferrari Maranello, its not like it's a friggin PT Cruiser or Pontiac Aztec for God's sake!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
First..no grain as been established....sales figures in the future will decide the grain.

Second...is this really any different then when the first E90's were reviewed. Many of them said the car was ugly.

Did they stop the E90 series from being another great success for BMW?

You guys got to chill out. Not everyone is going to love the car. WTF cares what one guy thinks.

When I said "going against the grain" I'm talking about what other reviews have said, which has nothing to do with sales. The vast majority of reviews for this car have been hugely positive, and I think he just wants to say something different for the sake of saying it.

Why is it that people always feel the need to tell people to "Chill out" on web forums as if we're all sitting around pounding on our desks over this review? Who's not "chill"? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

But you have to give him credit for this line:

"Is the 135i fast? Is Eliot Spitzer sleeping on the couch?"
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
When I said "going against the grain" I'm talking about what other reviews have said, which has nothing to do with sales. The vast majority of reviews for this car have been hugely positive, and I think he just wants to say something different for the sake of saying it.

Why is it that people always feel the need to tell people to "Chill out" on web forums as if we're all sitting around pounding on our desks over this review? Who's not "chill"? :iono:
Fair enough...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #19
europlane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by europlane View Post
My sense of aesthetics must be at 90 degrees to the majority!

I bought the BMW 1 firstly because I found it very beautiful when I first saw it on display this January in an european aeroport. I found it to look a little like an alpha romeo julietta from the 60's.

But when I also bought one of the first GTI -which I thought it was really nice looking-the salesman said, "if you like it, it is a plus", as implying the car was a nice handling car but not good looking.
Then I bought an Alpha Romeo Milano Quadrofogllio (4 leaf clover-kind of the M car of alpha) everyone also said it was a goood car but ugly! -Again I thought it was beautiful. Then I bought a Volvo 850, which to me looked a little like the Milano, and all the papers said it was ugly. Then I bought an Audi A4 and everyone said it was beautiful, but to me it looked like nothing special. Not in the league of the alpha, for sure.

It must be an european sense of aesthetics that it is different than the american-although I have been in the USA almost all my life.

And by the way, I didn't read this review at all. What for?
And I forgot to add that my wife also has had a pair of SAABS 9-3 that are also considered ugly in States but she (and I) loved their looks. I guess I love "ugly" cars.:iono:

Appreciate 0