BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Les Grossman
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M to M2

I felt certain that there would already be a thread for this topic. I briefly searched but couldn't see one.

So, as development of the M2 continues, who else is having a nightmare thinking about the possibility of upgrading from their 1M to its logical, if not yet proven to be spiritual, successor?

I have no doubt it will be a technically better machine. I want it, but will it be as special as the 1M? Doubtful, but that doesn't mean I won't buy it. The big draw for me is that even if a fully loaded 2015/16 M2 is £50k, it's not really much more money than my 1M is worth, so the upgrade cost is minimal. But then, if it isn't limited, its value will plummet. It will get old, and I'll end up regretting the sale of my 1M...

Blah blah...you get the idea. Discuss or link me to the 'official' discussion.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Well, sort of ...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860846
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

NEVER SELL 1M...........period
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

I had a nightmare the other night, I dreamt that I sold the 1M, and immediately regretted it, when I woke up and went downstairs and realized that it was just a bad dream and that the 1M was still in my driveway I was relieved. Confirmed that I will never sell the 1M.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

It will be better by the numbers than the 1M for sure but it will not be as special as the 1M. It will be more suited to many tastes. It will have automatic, manual, comfort mode, sport mode, electric steering and at the track you will be staring at a LCD half the time. I might end up with one and the styling looks great on the renders but the 1M will always be special. It's like your first great high school love. You know you have to move on and you will find happiness after but they always remain special. The 1M was manual and firm only! It had loud real exhaust not digitally enhanced and there is no comfort button in it. It had a super fast hydraulic rack with decent feedback and the unsorted traction control while an annoyance added to the rawness and danger. The 1M was not completely sorted out and that is what made it special in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
JeffyD
Destroy All Monsters
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 EB M Coupe, '11 M Coupe

All of my cars have a weird or cool origination story or history.

I don't really like the new 2 series aesthetically, either. I'm sure the M body kit will sweeten up the image, but the basic proportions of the series are not to my liking.

The M2 will be faster on paper and on the track. I'm sure it will be a badass car in its own way - just not in the same way my 1M is such.

Plus it's kind of a brainwashed mentality to make minor upgrades every new model. Just because the latest and greatest has this or that feature or more fleshed out detail doesn't mean the old model suddenly becomes worthless - and a car, be its aesthetics, age, or stats, isn't a reflection of its owner.

Plus the "m coupe" series has always tickles me due to its option list. "I like the M, but I don't know or want to drive stick." "Looks like you need an M3."

I don't know of any cars in recent memory that haven't come with some kind of automated transmission.

Pointless, but it makes me smile.

Probably looking to add a Z4M coupe to my garage now.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

I would consider getting the M2 however I will wait to see it in person. I think an M2 with DCT, M cloth, and no frills would make for a great car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It's [i.e. the 1M] like your first great high school love. You know you have to move on and you will find happiness after but they always remain special.
And, boy, does she have the right stamina and curves on offer to get you fond memories for a looong time !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The 1M was not completely sorted out and that is what made it special in my humble opinion.
For those new to the forum, enjoy the read about 1M development/history trivia:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841751
      11-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
I had a nightmare the other night, I dreamt that I sold the 1M, and immediately regretted it, when I woke up and went downstairs and realized that it was just a bad dream and that the 1M was still in my driveway I was relieved. Confirmed that I will never sell the 1M.
See the dedicated thread about 1M nightmares:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798458

Happens only to petrol heads...