BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Synthetic Sealant or Carnuba for Alpine White?

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the synthetic or carnuba will provide a better "wet" look on Alpine White? This is my first white car... and the BMW white is awesome!

Previously, on my solar yellow (metallic yellow) car I used: Meguair's deep crystal polish, Meguair's Show Car Glaze, NXT 2.0 tech wax. I would sometimes put some Meguairs carnuba over the nxt 2.0 but found that while it made the paint look a little warmer it seemed to kill the reflectivity, so I'd usually stick to nxt 2.0 as LSP.

Now with the new BMW, I'd like to use a better LSP. The NXT looks nice but only for about a week. I'm not looking for ultimate durability, but would like something that would last about a month. I am a big fan of the show car glaze.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Synthetic all the way

Alpine white gets a great "gloss" with sealant. A carnauba might make the paint look a bit warmer, but synthetic is great for the wet look. I use Zaino, but there are a lot of good synthetic systems out there--look at Optimum's sealants.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

Both.

I've currently got Klasse All in One + P21S wax on top. Sure the results aren't as obvious as if I did the same process on a nice dark blue or black car but I like to think it was worth my time and effort... plus I didn't feel like buying a new white paint specific product just yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
StuartM
Private
Guernsey
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport Coupé

I've tried a lot of products, and its also Zaino all the way for me now. I'd choose synthetic over carnauba everytime.

PS Great pics there Zed.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Sealants will offer far more durability than a natural carnauba wax. I would suggest you look at the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 if you would like lots of protection and a great shine for your paint. This sealant should last about 4 - 6 months and it's very easy to apply by hand or with a buffer.

Here is a good write up on how to make lighter colored paints pop!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Sealants will offer far more durability than a natural carnauba wax. I would suggest you look at the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 if you would like lots of protection and a great shine for your paint. This sealant should last about 4 - 6 months and it's very easy to apply by hand or with a buffer.

Here is a good write up on how to make lighter colored paints pop!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Thanks for the reply! I have a question after reading the article... The E-Zyme looks awesome but is a bit out of my price range for a wax. Will the CG 50/50 Concours wax offer good results layered over a sealant (Jet Seal, or I've been thinking hard about the Menzerna Advanced Kit that you offer, actually its been sitting in my shopping cart on your site all day along with the porter cable special and foamaster starter kit ).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoz View Post
Thanks for the reply! I have a question after reading the article... The E-Zyme looks awesome but is a bit out of my price range for a wax. Will the CG 50/50 Concours wax offer good results layered over a sealant (Jet Seal, or I've been thinking hard about the Menzerna Advanced Kit that you offer, actually its been sitting in my shopping cart on your site all day along with the porter cable special and foamaster starter kit ).
Yes the 50/50 will layer over the Jetseal 109 quite nicely for both protection and shine. It's actually one of my favorite combination of products that is more reasonably priced. Best of all the 50/50 is a 16oz wax, where as most waxes are 8oz or less. The Jetseal 109 is on sale this month and it's one of my absolute favorite sealants for so many reasons. The Menzerna Advanced Kit is a great option as well if you want a more complete kit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

So based on your feedback I sprung for the DI Packages Polish and Protection Advanced Kit as it seems to be the best of all worlds - Menzerna polishes, JetSeal sealant, and 50/50 wax. Can't wait to try it out. I also sprung for the DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit and the DI Packages Foamaster II Starter Kit and I decided to try the PoorBoy's World Natty's Red paste wax as a topper too on my wife's CX-9 baby-mobile.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoz View Post
So based on your feedback I sprung for the DI Packages Polish and Protection Advanced Kit as it seems to be the best of all worlds - Menzerna polishes, JetSeal sealant, and 50/50 wax. Can't wait to try it out. I also sprung for the DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit and the DI Packages Foamaster II Starter Kit and I decided to try the PoorBoy's World Natty's Red paste wax as a topper too on my wife's CX-9 baby-mobile.
Awesome selection of products and thank you for the support! I'm thrilled to hear you got many of my favorite products in some of our bundle deals. The order is shipping out today and you should see it shortly!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Subscribed. I want the exact same packages! I am moving soon and the car is going on a boat next week. But as soon as I get comfy, this will be my next purchase!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
I just bought Zaino (not cheap), but has what seems like an unending number of positive ratings. 2 weeks til I get to try it on the 1ner.

For the record; DONT use Turtle Wax ICE. That crap left swirl marks on my car for weeks, wouldn't come off! I called Turtle wax company and they ignored me.
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hind View Post
I just bought Zaino (not cheap), but has what seems like an unending number of positive ratings. 2 weeks til I get to try it on the 1ner.

For the record; DONT use Turtle Wax ICE. That crap left swirl marks on my car for weeks, wouldn't come off! I called Turtle wax company and they ignored me.
What do you expect? It's off the shelf fully (cheap) synthetic crap that washes off after a week and sells by the truckload. They don't care about your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hind View Post

The initial buy-in on Zaino is a bit expensive, but consider that you should be able to get 15-20 applications from a single bottle and you are looking at less than $1 an application.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Subscribed. I want the exact same packages! I am moving soon and the car is going on a boat next week. But as soon as I get comfy, this will be my next purchase!
Glad to hear that package looks good. I think you would really like the results from this package. If you have any questions after your move is done please let me know I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Well I was supposed to get my package from FedEx today. I got all excited and now the tracking says "Deliver exception - Incorrect street name". My address is correct, its a new construction home and it doesn't show up on Mapquest/Google Maps or anything, but it is most definitely here as I'm sitting at this address right now. Hmm. I hope they don't send it back. I was really looking forward to it Is there some way I can get them to give the driver directions to my place?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #16
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Wow, fedex's email thing actually works! I sent them directions and a link to a map and got a reply within minutes. Hopefully the stuff comes Monday...can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #17
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm glad to hear you were able get some help from FedEx. If you have any problems getting the delivery on Monday, please send me an e-mail.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #18
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Yes the 50/50 will layer over the Jetseal 109 quite nicely for both protection and shine. It's actually one of my favorite combination of products that is more reasonably priced. Best of all the 50/50 is a 16oz wax, where as most waxes are 8oz or less. The Jetseal 109 is on sale this month and it's one of my absolute favorite sealants for so many reasons. The Menzerna Advanced Kit is a great option as well if you want a more complete kit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Greg, I've used Jetseal 109 twice now and I think it's a real solid product. Never used a sealant before, but this junk really rocks.

My question is the instructions say the product takes 15 minutes to bond to the surface. Does that mean you need to take a timeout for that amount of time prior to buffing it off?
      08-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
Greg@DetailedImage
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Greg, I've used Jetseal 109 twice now and I think it's a real solid product. Never used a sealant before, but this junk really rocks.

My question is the instructions say the product takes 15 minutes to bond to the surface. Does that mean you need to take a timeout for that amount of time prior to buffing it off?
Glad to hear you like the Jetseal 109, it's one of the products I use regularly. I buff it on and wait at least 15 - 20 minutes before removing the excess product. During that time the bottom layer will start to bond with the paint. After you have removed the excess that bottom layer will start to bond with the paint even more and you should ideally wait 12- 24 hours for it to fully cure, before applying more coats. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Glad to hear you like the Jetseal 109, it's one of the products I use regularly. I buff it on and wait at least 15 - 20 minutes before removing the excess product. During that time the bottom layer will start to bond with the paint. After you have removed the excess that bottom layer will start to bond with the paint even more and you should ideally wait 12- 24 hours for it to fully cure, before applying more coats. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Thanks. Looks like I partially whiffed at the first two attempts since I've applied the recommended 2nd coat 20 minutes after the 1st one, which is what the instructions on the bottle state.

Still very impressive results even though I boneheaded it. Imagine I'll be even be more jacked up about it the next time after I've followed your recommendations.
      08-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Well FedEx now says "Cannot locate recipient" and "At local delivery facility". The problem is the "local" delivery facility is about an hour away from my house, so I don't really want to have to go there to pick it up. Maybe the driver just doesn't feel like delivering it?

edit: Spoke to non-English speaking individual at FedEx. He swears up and down it will come tomorrow. We'll see.

Last edited by imoz; 08-17-2009 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #22
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update. I received the package on Tuesday! It was packed really well. Thanks for the extra sprayers too I can't wait to try all this stuff out, its like X-Mas in August
Appreciate 0